Skip to toolbar

Spectre Cartels

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  volleyfireandy 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

volleyfireandy
    Participant
    2489xp

For the Colours wargames show in September myself and the rest of the guys from A few Brits and the hobby podcast are putting on a game of spectre with a very Expendables vibe.

We’ve a ton of terrain to do, including a ruined factory, boats, ships and a church too.

First to be finished though are my Cartel models. Spectre are rapidly becoming one of my very favourite ranges.

20180523_14441420180523_144513820180523_14471120180523_144955

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Spectre is gaining interest in the Moderns wargaming space, @volleyfireandy .   A few quick questions – does Spectre support other scales besides 28mm?  Does it support vehicles?  My favorite system for this at the moment is Force-on-Force, but it’s out of print from what I know.  How does Spectre stack up against Force-on-Force?

volleyfireandy
    Participant
    2489xp

Hi @oriskany, Spectre’s quite a different game, with a much more micro focus. I feel it’s edging closer to an RPG than a straight battle game, as it’s heavily focused on mission driven isometric warfare, and quite detailed, as combat is through opposed dice roles and typically individual to individual. Ranges of weapons are cleverly handled, with range intervals affecting accuracy, rather than the normal blocks of range found in most games. I really like it, but suspect it would make a superb game with an umpire throwing in some variables too (Which is our plan for Colours…)

Vehicles are in, though fairly broad in their descriptions so can be tailoured to scenarios to taste, and each individual in your force can be tailoured with specific gear combinations.  I think for platoon/company+ actions FoF is probably better, but for a boots on the ground dirty fight Spectres pretty ace.  With the way the ranges work too, I think it could scale to most figure sizes, certainly 20mm wouldn’t need any tweaking at all.  I suspect too, that if you were playing in 15mm or smaller, that if you had a stand representing a figure from the army lists you could start getting some very cool larger level actions too.

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

Very cool looking models, quite different to the kind of stuff I’ve usually seen when it comes to “real” warfare mini’s.

petebic
    Participant
    134xp

These do look great, I think I know what @davehawes means about other modern forces. They never look that great, in 28mm at least, however these (and the modern Brits from White Dragon) look great.

If you don’t mind me asking does a game of Spectre take much room up? I could see a game of it’s kind being possible on a small board which is all I really have room for but modern games often seem to be focused on platoon level combat and need a 4×4 and upwards table.

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished table as it sounds great, if your planning on making a project post a link so I can follow along ?

volleyfireandy
    Participant
    2489xp

@peter, that’s a good question, it kind of depends on a scenario, but I’m sure you could come up with something for a small area, either playing through a few multi level buildings, or having a roiling board, where once you reach one side you set it up another way, say a Special Ops team attempting to escape a hostile city running down tight streets. That could actually make a very cool game with a bit of creative scenario building….

chaingun
    Participant
    1939xp

@peter I’ve played Spectre on a 4 x 4 table with a fire team patrolling the outskirts of a town. Like other posters have said the game is very scalable from the amount of figures used to the table size you play on.

If you are interested please feel free to check my blog post (link below) on a Spectre event we went to.

Spectre Operations Event

@oriskany like @volleyfireandy has said, the game can certainly scale to 15mm and 20mm easily and still give you all the flavour as you would get in 28mm.

@volleyfireandy those are some great looking figures mate, I look forward to seeing your game at Colours

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  chaingun.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  chaingun.

petebic
    Participant
    134xp

@volleyfireandy that rolling board idea is great, I could see a assault moving through city streets being played that way, where the board you move off being recycled to the far end of the layout and any troops on the board being “redeployed” on the new board, you could cover a lot of ground with just 2 2×2 boards. The forces would remain balanced but keep the game fluid and certainly a challenge for the attacking side. Guessing that’s a game that could be played on your new boards too, moving through the docks towards a boat with the goods on at the far end 🙂

@chaingun I looked at your blog the miniatures and tables looked great. Game looks interesting, a focus on suppressing forces rather than outright destruction.

volleyfireandy
    Participant
    2489xp

It’s a cool rule set, quite clever but still accessible. I’m quite taken with it, as it has so many tools you can do some very cool and different stuff with it. Not really suited for points/tournament play, but it’s quite nice to see something like this with so many games having that focus coming out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)