Skip to toolbar

The Imperium Is Driven by Hate. Warhammer Is Not.

Home Forums Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions The Imperium Is Driven by Hate. Warhammer Is Not.

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  onlyonepinman 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

dyn-uk
    Participant
    333xp

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

If anyone is not aware of the incident that led to this I recommend the excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFcgB7npIg0&t=2s

darthcheese
    Participant
    4192xp

Shocking lack of spine by the event TO’s.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

shocking lack of braincells in the general public that companies need to make silly statements like that.

What’s next ?
    Battlefront and other companies in historical wargaming stating that just because they make [insert designated ‘evil’] troops for use in their games that they don’t condone that ideology ?

What about companies creating miniatures for the groups like the taliban, isis, the drug cartels and related terrrorist groups ?

We play games in which we murder and maim intelligent beings and do other unspeakable things …

We can only play such games because we disconnect the facts from the gameplay.

Only a sociopath has never experienced a moment of ‘what the heck’ in games when his troops or those of his opponent did stuff that wasn’t exactly ‘lawful good’ in intent …

darthcheese
    Participant
    4192xp

What? Companies make statements because they A) don’t want to be associated with Nazis l, B) don’t want actual Nazis at their events, C) want non Nazis to know they don’t support Nazi’s and notr should anyone else and D) taking a stand against them is the right thing to do!

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

In the context of what happened this is a much welcomed statement for me. Of course I already know this but the clarification is helpful for new comers and their mums, dads, guardians etc who don’t.

Its important to know the context of what prompted this response before diving in with commentary as it is highly relevant.

Also based on what I have seen from the statement of the tournament organisers I do feel for them. As it seems according to them the law there makes the removal of an individual from an event/location difficult based on what they are wearing etc (I have no expertise in this so waiting to see that analysed further)

But a TOs job is not easy at the best of times and somthing like this coming out of nowhere can put you on the back foot especially if there is uncertainty of the legality of actions you may take.

Ultimately this individual has abhorrent views (reinforced by they name they registered with) and I would like to see them fully excommunicated from our industry. My 2c

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  warzan.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

In fairness to the TO’s at the event that sparked all this off, from what I’ve read of what happened if they had thrown the offending party out of the event he could have legitimately called the police on them due to Spanish law. I believe they have stated that they are going to be updating the language in their rules packet to prevent this happening again.

Dude was still a class-A Prick. Kinda been fascinating seeing folks leaping to his defense online though – been most helpful in pairing down the lists of who I follow. I have no time for those who champion fascist ideologies and hateful imagery/iconography

(EDIT this is what happens when you don’t refresh your page before writing a reply – @warzan beats you to the punch 😀 )

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  dawfydd.

darthcheese
    Participant
    4192xp

I can accept the argument about the law. But they still nil pointed the people who refused to play him. There by rewarding him for being a Nazi.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

I dont think that’s being exactly fair to the TOs

I doubt at any point in their minds was a desire to reward Neo Nazis. Its a rock and a hard place most likely and depending in the situation legally over there no straight forward answer.

Now ofcourse I could be wrong. Perhaps they are lying about the legal situation and perhaps they took great delight in rewarding neo nazism. But so far there isn’t any evidence of that so I dont want to just paint some human beings in tar without having some surety that they deserve it 🙂

Again on matters like this its all IMHO…

darthcheese
    Participant
    4192xp

Not being Spanish I’m sure their interpretation of the law is correct or at least correct as they see it. But perception wise it still looks like bad for them.

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

Perhaps it’s just a kid wearing his favourite hoody without knowing the shite show that go’s with the swastika? Don’t forget that emblem is way older than the third Reich an is a Hindu simble for the sun.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

No mate it by all accounts was very deliberate and the registered under the name Austrias Artist apparently.

Even if he’s trolling he’s a nasty piece of work. 🙁

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Twitter has started 20211120_104533

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

This does raise some interesting conundrums as to where an event draws the line. If I attend an event wearing a rainbow lanyard I will, in all likelihood, be welcomed with open arms. And yet if I add an LGB Alliance badge to the lanyard I can guarantee that a mob with pitchforks will appear.

We have seen enough people banned from Gencon etc. to know that a twitter mob can take even the smallest alleged transgression and use it to ‘gatekeep’ people out of the industry.

This guy was an obvious neo-nazi. Glad to see folks stood up to be counted for their beliefs and refused to play against him.  Keep in mind this happened in Spain, a country that only freed itself from the shackles of fascism in 1982.

No pasaran!

frankelee
    Participant
    1159xp

As usual the obvious eludes most people too obviously. Why this statement is eye-roll inducing and pathetic is the absurd grandiosity of it. As if GW were making some rousing civic statement of civilizational import. This memo sounds like it was written by a 14 year old standing on a podium as they typed it out.

Here’s the thing, this situation didn’t call for flowery statement of your VALUES and your BELIEFS as a company who makes LITTLE PLASTIC MEN. If an actual grown adult wrote this, it would have basically said, “Hey listen, we had an event in Spain and some edgelord wore a Neo-Nazi hoodie to the event, and we’re not having it. It’s not funny, it’s not cool, everybody is annoyed by it, everybody is annoyed by people who do it, and the next time anything like it happens we’re tossing you out of our event.”

So come down from the lectern little boy, come down from the lectern little girl, you’re not Martin Luther King, you’re not Gandhi, you’re not Voltaire, and stop pretending you are, stop embarrassing yourself. This absolutely self-humiliating trend of epic internet speechifying really needs to be brought to a close. And cut the crap about how your silly little fictional universe relates to the real world, it doesn’t, the edgelords don’t think it actually does, the Twitter losers looking for a cause don’t think it actually does, it’s all people being purposefully obtuse, and it’s embarrassing for them to take it seriously.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  frankelee.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)