Skip to toolbar

Thomas Hughes VC

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Thomas Hughes VC

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  seldon9 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

So I thought since brown on brown doesn’t show too well on camera I would throw up a couple of pictures to show were I’m at with this.

blueplaque

so as I was leaving Hope Castle I noticed this on a wall and decided to take a picture, when I got home it was a few days before I remembered to look him up, during that time I was already thinking about painting a gun team up for Dicky Boyd and Pete Barfield’s Remembering the Armistice group but that changed once I had read up on Thomas.

Thomas

Prior to receiving his VC in London. I based the idea for the diorama on this newspaper illustration but the objective was to get it finished for today and with free time being short I went for a simplified version, so I didn’t have time to cut and resculpt the leg of his trousers or change the Germans in any way, the idea of scratch building the wall went in favour of a couple of Fogou’s lovely pieces that gave the impression.

TH VC

Here’s what I currently have, I will go back in the next couple of weeks and do some work on the men themselves, but for a piece rushed together over a couple of nights free time it isn’t a bad start.

dio1

dio2

dio3

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

weird, the interwebs told me this crashed and didn’t upload so I went and put it all into a project instead…. This is why I don’t like technology, I should just write it all out and post copies to people maybe with polaroids attached

damon
    7525xp
    Cult of Games Member

Excellent piece.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

thanks Damon, I hope to get back and finish it off soon.

seldon9
    12954xp
    Cult of Games Member

Lovely piece, great work.

trewets
    4782xp
    Cult of Games Member

Proper nod to the sacrifice those men gave for our freedom,well done!

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

thanks

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

cheers matey

somegeezer
    18339xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice work, Gerry!

buggeroff
    15183xp
    Cult of Games Member

Amazing work there Gerry

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

A very well done 3D version of the news paper picture . Will you present it to the Regiment or Vets Organization  when complete ( paint touche ups , etc )  ? I think it’s going to end up a museum type piece when your done  Gerry , judging by the work you shown on various threads .

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think he said he was with the Connaught Rangers which was disbanded in 1922 when the Irish free state was created

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

hadn’t considered that, like @torros said they were disbanded in 1922, I will certainly share it with the Rangers facepage when it’s done though. Thanks for your kind words @a27cromwell

brucelea
    7897xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great looking diorama Gerry, I know you mentioned that you wanted to add more definition by adding more sepia tones, I love the way it is all blended at the moment so be careful not to lose that connection that the mud/dirt gives to everything. Amazing work and something any Mess would be proud to display, most infantry messes name their bars and function rooms after VC recipients and have a picture, citation and replica VC on display to inform the uninitiated into their regimental history. Great work mate and very fitting. Golden button!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by  brucelea.

commodorerob
    11076xp
    Cult of Games Member

Fabulous work there mate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)