Skip to toolbar

Ultracast Greeks from PSC under license from Xyston

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Ultracast Greeks from PSC under license from Xyston

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  commodorerob 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Classical-Greek-Starter-Army-2

Classical-Greek-Starter-Army-3

You get for £39.95

1 x mounted general
    8 x foot command (assorted mix of poses)
    72 x hoplites (assorted mix of poses)
    6 x cavalry (assorted mix of poses)
    12 x peltasts (assorted mix of poses)

Spears are not supplied and in metal the cost would be about £60 direct from Xyston

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  torros.

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

They look good and better than most PSC Ultracast

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Depends on the original sculpts I presume

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Only issue I can see with those is going to be sticking the javelins on. I’ve got these in metal, and I’d (a) be worried about drilling the hands out to accept the javelin (if the material is too soft, it’s hard to drill out small areas like a hind without wrecking it. And (b) finding a “glue” that’s going to stick the ultracast plastic and the wire spear in a small amount (as the inside of the hand are such a small area) reliably as the ultracast has a fair bit of “flex” to it.

Other than that, they look/are lovely sculpts (the amount of sculpts available for the Thacians is INSANE), and there’s a massive range of Greeks and Persians and add into the mix.

But it’s the affixing of the javelins that’s going to be the pain in the butt (it’s hard enough with the metals) 🙁

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

@phaidknott Thinking off the top of my head I wonder if you could heat the metal spear and push it through

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

Drill a hole and a bit of superglue… job done.

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve tried drilling holes in 20mm plastics to accept wire spears back in the day (nevermind 20mm), I get the impression that the ultracast material is a bit softer and has more flex than the usual 20mm plastics (which mean they are going to be a bugger to drill without the bit and hole trying to “wander” from where you want it to go).

Still I suppose the best thing will be to wait and see how people find it practically (rather than theorising about problems), it may be that it’s a doddle (but it was a task doing it for 120 metal minis).

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

They are nice looking sculpts. PSC are increasingly becoming one of the companies I look at first when I’m on the hunt for things. The heated spear thing would be an interesting one to try @torros

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh don’t get me wrong, the Xyston range is simple THE best range of 15mm ancients put there (although it only serves the Punic Wars very well). The exaggerated relief/detail on the sculpts means the transfer over to the ultracast thermal plastic deal with “shrinkage” very well (meaning you still get VERY detailed plastics with no soft detail).

Now all we have to do is find were to buy the wire spears/javelins. I know Xyston used to sell them back in the day (complete with leaf shaped blades), but I’ve no idea where you can get 15mm ones now (and believe me you DON’T want to start handcrafting your own, that way lies madness….and many a sore thumb and bleeding fingertips)

captainventanus
    Participant
    4765xp

They do look a lot better than the previous PSC 15mm to date. Thought price difference to metals is slowly but surely closing with this range.

commodorerob
    11076xp
    Cult of Games Member

Apparently there is no issue with the metal spears, they easily push through the ultracast no drilling or heating required.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)