Skip to toolbar

Ultrasonic Cleaner for Airbrushes

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Ultrasonic Cleaner for Airbrushes

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lawnor 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just plugged in my sonic bath and there was a loud pop and a bright flash of light from it.  Theres no way I’m plugging that back in.  I prefer it when my house isn’t burnt down.  It was a cheapo from ebay in march 2017.  Has anyone got any reccomendations for economic replacements, or should I just head back to ebay anf spend another £20?  I can’t be doing with cleaning my airbrush responsibly by hand.  I’ve gotten too use to the life of sonic luxury.

Have you checked the voltage? 110 versus 220 makes a big deal. I did the same thing to somebody’s stereo system when I was a kid living in Europe and had no idea what a transformer was.

If you bought it off the fleabay then it was likely Chinese and potentially set for 110 in North America. I’ve looked at ventilation recently and there’s a UK manufacturer that offers conversion for a small fee extra.  The problem is that its more than my compressor and current ventilation now at around $300. On top of that I’d say that the next compressor that’d use oil will be about double that price. The cost of quality is dear but ultrasonic isn’t really so.

A tip I picked up from YouTube was threading the same material used in root canals through the nozzle. I haven’t picked up any yet but it would help with any clogs inside to bring down the instance of drytip.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Its 2 years old.  it died because of age I’m guessing.  if voltage was an issue surely it wold have blown up a long time ago?  I use it often.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I had a look.  it was 220-240v, which is the uk range.  Sometimes capacitors just blow.  I’ve lost things to them before.  Thats what appears to have happened here.

Anonymous
    0xp

Thank you for this post.This is very interesting information for me.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer you’ll notice that the first time … trust me. I know too.
    This reads more like it died of old age, because that too can happen to power supplies.

@lawnor did you check if there was a fuse in the device ? IF you’re lucky then that may have been the *poof* you’ve heard.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

It went in the bin a while ago.  The replacement turned up yesterday.  It looks identical to the past one, but for all I know its just a common plastic shell.

Anonymous
    0xp

Can I ask which model you bought @lawnor?  I’m thinking about getting one to try it out.  I’d use my airbrush more if it was less hassle to clean.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bought this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352533948637

600ml VGT-800 Mini Jewelry Ultrasonic Cleaner Ultra Sonic Cleaning

sonic

It looks the same as the last one I bought.  I haven’t actually taken the wrapping off it yet but I’m assuming its the same as the one I bought last time.  It is big enough to hold my airbrush parts, but not too much bigger.  It was the cheapest version of the same design that was on eBay.  I paid £18 all in.  I think I paid around £20 last time.  £20 for 2+ years is reasonable.

I follow Justin’s mix from a previous weekender to put inside.  Mostly water, with a squeeze of dish soap and Airbrush Cleaner.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

By the way, this does not replace cleaning.  You should still give your components a wipe down to remove the obvious clutter and cleaning inside the tip is always wise.  This just ensures you do a more thorough job than you can by hand before putting it away at the end of the day.  I’d recommend putting it through a few cycles the first time you use it to let it “catch up”.  When you fish your parts out of the bath water will remain inside them.  I like to blow through anything I can to remove moisture and leave them out to dry somewhere ideally dust free between uses.  That’s probably overkill and a few hours – overnight should be enough.

I did encounter one new problem from using a sonic bath.  Inside the part of mine that connects to the pipe there is a small screw used to adjust pressure or something.  The vibrations slowly turned the screw over many cycles and my airbrush started playing up.  It took a while to work out what the problem was (And the help of people on this forum).  Ever since then I remove that part before anything goes in the bath.

In case this isn’t clear, break down your airbrush before sonicing it.  Only wash the parts that paint could get to.  I leave the spring out of the bath too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)