Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] He did what?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] He did what?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 54 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Question of the week:

• What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby?
    • Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby? (While playing, building or painting)
    • If you watch other people to hobby stuff live (like @brennon and @laughingboy streaming their painting) do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time?
    • BONUS: Build, paint, play. What is your favourite aspect of this hobby?

And now: coffee

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers:

• Having movies running I already know and like. So I hear things I know but I don’t need to look up all the time.
    • Mostly headset to keep the noise down. Also most movies work better on my PC because the range of volume in them makes it otherwise hard to understand
    • If I’m watching then I’m mostly painting or building… but since I’m also interacting I don’t get much done
    • Building is almost fun every time*. Painting is more relaxing. Playing is nice too but since that’s the bigger commitment of time it requires more planning and planning I don’t like.

Ah yes, the coffee.

* even when I build something like the Blood Bowl troll that breaks at his ankles…  it’s a challenge.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to paint more Kingdom Death. On a more technical note I need to replace the screen and FEP on my printer which could be interesting/frustrating.

1. What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby? – I have Netflix on in the background. Currently just over half way through watching Star Trek Voyager.
    2. Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby? (While playing, building or painting) – Regular speakers from my PC.
    3. If you watch other people to hobby stuff live (like @brennon and @laughingboy streaming their painting) do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time? – On the unofficial hobby hangout I usually do hobby too.
    4. BONUS: Build, paint, play. What is your favourite aspect of this hobby? – Play, although painting is a close second and the aspect I get to do the most. I’m never very motivated to put a lot of effort into building.

laughingboy
    20672xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just a bit of honesty I am in a real down point at the moment with the hobby so my pledge is to spend some time to understand why that is and hopefully do something about.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

So I just thought I’d pop in and check on things. Not been around much, due to school, and that means no real pledge this week (though I do need to fix a priming issue I had with Sansa eventually). Not much use on the hobby front right now, but if anyone needs a geologic cross section done, let me know! 😛 I suppose I have a few moments for some questions…

What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby?

Listening to sounds. Doesn’t matter what the sound is, but silence is something that I physically can’t stand; makes me anxious.

Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby? (While playing, building or painting)

Because I live at home for the time being, deff heaphone, but full blast for music. Regardless of the task I work better when I can’t hear the rest of the world.

If you watch other people to hobby stuff live (like @brennon and @laughingboy streaming their painting) do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time?

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Depends on my mood, but at the moment I tend to find I need to focus on one thing at a time, so I usually watch and chat…when I have time… (still haven’t seen last week’s UHH…)

BONUS: Build, paint, play. What is your favourite aspect of this hobby?

Painting…but I can be really slow at it if I don’t feel in the mood for it. Even before The Event, and the upcoming Event II; Electric Boogaloo, I never got much chance to play and I am so obsessed with sub-assemblies that building really needs to happen close to painting…or I lose bits…

Hopefully I can pop in from time to time during the week, but I make no promises…

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Well, my 28mm DAK force is mostly done, so I can’t really use that  as my pledge in good faith.  How about getting my Iraqi 1991 Gulf War vehicles done?  I won’t pledge the infantry this week …

What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby?

“Binge-listen” to TV series (Battlefield, Deadwood, Rome, Farscape) while painting, music while writing, battlefield ambiance while playing.  For my artwork I enjoy old “Previously Recorded” streams of Dead Rising (12-hour no-death runs) or Friday the 13th marathon sessions.

If you watch other people to hobby stuff live …

I really don’t that often.  Sitrep Podcast content goes up three times  a week so by then I’m pretty burnt out on Twitch / etc.  For Darkstar I sometimes listen to Eckhardt’s Ladder and his Empire at War streams (weird because I am not a Star Wars fan anymore).  I also catch a @laughingboy stream whenever I can, fun while drawing new battle maps in Photoshop.

Research and Scenario Design.  😀  The live-plays with our audience are great, too … this would be an unqualified “favorite” if it wasn’t also “work.”

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

The last vehicles for me to finish in my 28mm DAK Warlord force are the three Opel “Blitz” trucks that came with the pack.  I decided not to go with any of the “halftrack” options as I believe these were used in the East, and not in the Desert.  Just for fun I used two different side panel options and the canvas cover for the third truck, with medic decals just for a change of pace.

While I really struggled with that armored car and had to repair a lot of damage with it, I’m actually pretty happy with how these trucks came out.

The back. Washing between all those planks was a pain, but the final look was worth it.

Markings are for (left to right) 21st Panzer Division, generic motorized infantry for the medic truck, and 90th Light Division for the truck on the right.

Experimented with putting transfer decals on the wooden planks.

Went ahead and put a driver in one of the trucks.

Pledge: Complete Necromunda terrain and ship out packages owed to the far corners of the world.

My current favorite thing to do while hobbying is pushing how detailed I can get with my airbrushing. The tighter the detailing I can make in the smallest area the better. I’d say trying to add a zenithal “spotlight” for display minis to get the central focus in lighting is another thing I like doing. Building bases to make the figures seem more interesting is my regular standby.

Speakers is my current setup. I did have the use of a friend’s sweer surround sound system with an epic subwoofer that I miss.

I’m in the wrong business to catch anyone stream. I always catchup later.

Build and paint are my faves. I can’t get a good match on timing to get out and play. If anything I’ll have damn fine looking minis by the time we all get out of thile lockdown and see each other in shops.

Also.. I found a used version of the ventilation system I’ve been after. I’ll be glad to have one but these increases in gear really are pricey. Good thing I found the deal on filters to mitigate that.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I failed my last weeks pledge … so I shall see if I continue to fluff my rolls for ‘open box and assemble’ tasks.
    Maybe I have set the bar so low that I trip over it ?

1) What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby?

definitely need some music playing while doing anything

2) Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby? (While playing, building or painting)

I’ve got a set of Sonos speakers (multi-room audio) with one of my personal tracklist from spotify as my default audio source.

3) If you watch other people to hobby stuff live (like @brennon and @laughingboy streaming their painting) do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time?

I can’t multi task … so I either watch shows (and chat) shows like the weekender, xlbs, UHH or YouTube or I do some hobby.

4) BONUS: Build, paint, play. What is your favourite aspect of this hobby?
    Dreaming about the stuff I want to build, paint and play … and then getting distracted by another new shiny I see before I get to the building part of it.

ok … the distraction is not my favourite part, but somehow that always happens which is why I am now looking at the Kings of War Armada pre-order. The historical version didn’t interest me (I blame the lack of a Dutch faction which Oak&Iron did have), but the Ork ships do look good and Orky …

*arrrg* focus … finish one thing and then do the new thing.

And speaking of distractions. It looks like the mystery package that was supposed to arrive yesterday (friday) is the rest of my Rampart pledge. That will have to wait ’til monday as the couriers have no pick-up points so I had it re-routed to my place of work.

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Your painted DAK look great @oriskany. Good luck with getting the next models finished up.

Same rolling pledge as the last couple of weeks – keep working away on some British Napoleonic light dragoons. I might be able to get them done this week, depends on how productive the rest of the weekend is.

I usually hobby in very small bursts when I can grab a spare half an hour or so between other tasks. Therefore I don’t tend to have anything else on the go, although there’s a chance the radio might be on.

Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby?

As above – speakers on the radio.

If you watch other people to hobby stuff live do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time?

I don’t watch others hobby live. I might catch a stream at a later date, but usually as background to non-hobby stuff.

Painting, but with a growing interest in researching colour schemes etc.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve just cracked and ordered some Dweghom so I can join in the Path to Conquest event. Is anybody else going to be building an army for it?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

not me

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

Straight to questions of the week:

• What is your current favourite thing you do while painting/building in the hobby?
    • If I’m in my workshop, I tend to queue up a load of Youtube videos and let them play in the background. I tend to drift in and out of them. If it’s something I like, I’ll down brushes and watch intently. If it’s music or a guitar tutorial or something, I’ll let it play and carry on painting/making/laser-cutting/printing or whatever. If I’m at home in the back room, it’s either silence or the radio playing on Alexa. Mrs Blinky hates silence. I rarely even notice it.

• Headset, speakers or full on hifi stereo: what is your main hardware to get audio into your head in context of our hobby? (While playing, building or painting)
    • Speakers. Most of my audio comes from a computer of some sort. Sometimes I’ll wear headphones if it’s late at night and Mrs Blinky is watching/listening to something on the tellybox or the radio, but where possible, speakers.

• If you watch other people to hobby stuff live (like @brennon and @laughingboy streaming their painting) do you just watch and chat or are you doing hobby at the same time?
    • I’ve never really watched a live stream of hobby stuff. I tuned into a couple of Hobby Hangouts and it was nice to join in and drop comments in the chatbox, but I’m so disorganised, I never know what day it is, let alone what time of day it is in order to tune in regularly!

• BONUS: Build, paint, play. What is your favourite aspect of this hobby?
    • It’s hard to put it down to one thing. I’m really enjoying my hobby these days. I love the 3d printing – designing on the screen and seeing it come to life a few hours later. I’m finding painting to be less of a chore (I used to dread painting faces and edge highlighting, but I’m quietly confident with it now) and it’s actually quite enjoyable. I like making mini dioramas (I used to only ever paint single figures for use in games) but I think most of all, it’s been the community. A while ago, I stopped pretending I wasn’t a massive nerd, stopped giving a shite whether other people thought painting tiny plastic men was naff, and embraced the hobby. Chatting with likeminded people, being inspired/challenged to make cool stuff, sharing ideas and showing off progress – it keeps me inspired and I think that’s the best bit.

Pledges: Mrs Blinky is slowly becoming more mobile after her accident, so we’re getting out and about (even just going for a coffee) a bit more, which is taking up time. I’ve been dragged off-course with last weeks’ pledges – Earthworm Jim is complete, I just haven’t posted photos to the online project and marked as finished yet. Knight Rider is still in the early stages, because I got sidelined, making tiny little traffic lights after @avernos (or was it @sundancer?) said Marvel Crisis Protocol traffic lights needed some LEDs in them.

So I guess this week’s pledge is to finish Knight Rider and get my traffic lights painted up.

Here’s some music. I quite like the ska-punk trumpets and sax version of Reel Big Fish, but there’s just something about this stripped-down, angst-ridden noise that I really like:

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

@oriskany – those trucks are beautiful. I love the colour blending, with the weathering and chipping. The creasing on the canvas covers looks really neat too. Really nice work!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Embracing your inner geek is what allows us to make the most out of a hobby.
    Never let anyone else convince you that your hobby is ‘wrong’ or that you are having ‘wrong fun’.

Chances are you learn something new, build your skills, inspire someone else or just have fun … it’s never completely useless despite what others might tell you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)