Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Why am I at the office?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Why am I at the office?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 44 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

• Do you own an airbrush setup?
    • Do you use it just for priming and terrain or also for detail work on miniatures?
    • Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers, as usual:

• Yes
    • Yes (just need some time with it)
    • Yes

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

I really enjoyed that Batman film and Nicklesons Joker stands up to anybody.

Having find memories of the gang going into Manchester Deansgate to watch it in a cinema that’s now a pub.

Questions 1 & 2. I don’t own an airbrush and I secretly despise how prevalent they are now in the hobby. Watch nearly any YouTube paint guide and it’s 90% airbrush.

Question 3. Of course. Or as I call it, Tuesday.

I just had a load of stuff delivered, 3 issues of Mortal Realms, Hellboy Box full of Evil, walking Dead Chris Leader of the Hunters, King Ezekiel and various Star Saga bits. Sadly I can do none of it despite being off work for 4 days.

IMG_20200521_122935_01

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hails all,

Sticking with my Adeptus Mechanicus this weekend. Once I have the two squads of five Skitarii done I can get back to my Tech Priest Dominus.

@woldenspoons

I’m working on Skitarii at the moment but I actually made a mistake on last week’s thread, it’s the Rangers, not the Vanguard I’m doing now. I had a ten men squad and I split it into five of each. The Rangers are decent at a distance while the Vanguard are armed to do more damage up close.

IMG_20200522_004553

This is pretty much where I’m at currently. need to add text to the purity seals and then highlights on the metalics and black robes. Then the last bits of detail work. Not sure what I’m going to do with the gloves yet. That mini is actually a good bit darker in person, it has my painting lamps blasting down on it there.

Questions.

1. Yes. I have an ‘Iwata Eclipse’ hooked up to an ‘Iwata Smart Jet Plus’ compressor.

https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/iwata-eclipse-hp-cs.html

https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/smartjet-plus-tubular.html

2. I’ve used it almost exclusively for priming or adding weathering but this current army was a challenge to do a bit more with it. I still struggle with it as when things go wrong I’m not sure what’s causing the problem. I get frequent blockages and I’m still trying to figure out if that’s down to paint being too thick or dry paint inside. I use a mix of Citadel Air and the older Forgeworld Air range (now converted to Citadel Air as GW combined the ranges.) I also use the AK weathering stuff like Streaking Grime.

3. Nah, never learned to dance.

This weekend’s playlist is comprised of bands I was supposed to have seen live over the last couple of months. I’ve never enjoyed the pub and club scene so gigs are my “nights out”. Hoping some of these get rescheduled for next year.

Doing my work these days seems to be a lot of odd hours and generally riding around getting business in order. I’m hobbying as I can but much less than I want to be.

1. I do own an airbrush setup but it is more bulky than I care to move into the place where I’m staying right now.

2. The airbrush is good for priming but I’ve experimented with how to blend in zenithal highlights for basing. The process of glazing layers has proved interesting and useful. It all started as an accident with not sealing the values from the priming. The white ink I used as highlight was quite intense as I began to hit it all with inks so I started to knock it down with other color. Well, it mixed a little but more as layers and it started me to learn about the kind of opacity you achieve with the airbrush and brush glazing.

3. Dancing with devils in pale moonlight… nah… can’t say that I recall. I’ve done quite a few things otherwise in those conditions.

@sundancer Different Jokers for different interpretations of the character. No argument on Nicholson as the Prince of Murder being good. Ledger played well for a world akin to Sin City.

@woldenspoons I think the prevailing use of airbrushes has been due to the size and scale of the work people are attempting now. I look at GW knights and I don’t see any other way of getting about to do them without killing all detail with a house paint brush. A lot more flat paneling has shown up in figures as well. Privateer Press and all the Warmachine work as well as the latest GW mech models make this clear to me. Brush marks are great for Impressionism as well as organic surfaces but the influence of railroad and armor/aircraft modellers is here.

To ease the pain I offer this.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCUBnnYBx1Quivdtv0VhZDug

@irredeemable Iwatas are pretty good by all accounts I hear. If you can snag one at a reasonable price look at Olympos. If its out of reason just read the history of it and their relation to Iwata. Good background on the machines.

Now long listening

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Weekend to all, as seems to be my way at the mo, I will try to get more FoW British done. Some of it is at a roadblock as I need to get some decal paper to do the next bits on the carriers and artillery, so I guess that means it must be the infantry next.

Questions of the week:

Do you own an airbrush setup?

Yes I do. It’s a slighty older version of, see below.

TC-80T Airbrushing Kit With Ultra 2 in 1 Airbrush

Do you use it just for priming and terrain or also for detail work on miniatures?

Trying to use it for more and more. Mainly prime, zenith and main basecoat with a colour shade/modulation.

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Only thing that came to mind was, see below, but listening to it that’s not what they say.

Some more music options

IMG_20200522_151925

IMG_20200522_151953

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

Yes
    Yes
    and probably on the dark stage at wacken

@irredeemable clean it, clean it some more, then scrape your nozzle with a wodden tooth pick, an airbrush is never clean enough, especially if you are using normal brush acrylic as the pigment is a larger grain size and prone to clogs and clumping, i would not use anything smaller than a .3 needle with standard paint and even then a .5 often works better, also higher psi is often needed i find some where north of 28psi works well with citadel layer and edge paints, and 32+ for base paints.

Hopefully gonna get time to carve more circuitry into my ad mech army, have some micro chisles which im attempting to crave “pcb tracks” like on a circuit board into the clokes and stuff, it looks good on the vehicles as my colour scheme is basically circuit board green and metalics..

Music

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  timchubb.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Work continues, ever more slowly, on the Aggressors. Hopefully the silver will be done soon and then the detail work can begin, which should weirdly increase painting speed. Still have to do some touch ups and fixes on a few minis I randomly experiment, including a renaming of that Dark Elf from last week. She originally was called Lillith and I added it to the base, but for reasons of a personal joke between a friend and I I’ve decided to call her Cosmic instead…so the base will need changing… Summer finally arrived here, so it is far too hot for me right now; I’m built for the cold and enjoy summer holidays in the Arctic… I might also do some fixing work on my Escher ganger’s face, too, but I’m still not sure what I want to do with that, really. So much to do, so little energy…

As for questions, I don’t have an airbrush, though I wouldn’t mind having one, but purely for basecoating and weathering (maybe even shading) larger vehicles. I’m so used to brush painting that it’s just the style I enjoy. That covers one and two, but as for three, the Devil won’t return my calls anymore…

MUSIC!

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to start the Arena: The Contest campaign, and to finish painting a few character models I’m working on.

1. Do you own an airbrush setup? – Nope
    2. Do you use it just for priming and terrain or also for detail work on miniatures? – N/A
    3. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? – Not allowed out past 10pm!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hi de Hi!
    It’s good to be back 🙂
    I’ve been enjoying riding my trike to work again.
    Pledge wise I had been planning on doing sometthing a little more contructive hobby-wise, but Epic had to release GTA 5 and now Civilization 6 as free games …
    Maybe I can get myself motivated enough to get started on yet another project or continue one of my existing ones.
    Everything will depend on how much hobby focus I can achieve.

1) Do you own an airbrush setup?
    No, but I do want one.

2) Do you use it just for priming and terrain or also for detail work on miniatures?
    I suspect priming will be its main focus, but I don’t know how easy it is to learn.

3) Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

No, but the Joker almost always steals the show in the Batman movies I’ve seen.
    I suspect that is because villains often have a lot more character than Batman ..

The only exception is in the Suicide Squad where he’s used as a really bad sideplot and as a result he’s just a crazy mob boss.
    OTOH … the Joker being the ulttimate villain in all of the Arkham console games got a bit boring.

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not as much painting happened today as I had planned. This was largely due to packages arriving from GW and the OTT store. After a mere couple of years planning my brother Neil and I finally got around to ordering Dark Imperium. I have a Death Guard army (of sorts) for years but I had no use for the Primaris stuff. Neil recently started a Marine army though so now they have a use.

I also picked up the Dreaded Ambull for Blackstone Fortress. Haven’t got to grips with that game yet but I think after I finish my Admech army I’ll need to do something a little more varied.

A few hours were lost to White Dwarf as well, been a while since I’ve read an issue cover to cover.

Painting wasn’t a total wipeout though. I finished the purity seals on my guys and as I’d made a little too much of the mix I use for the text (Abaddon Black and my ever diminishing Citadel Brown Ink) I did the seals on the next five guys as well. A few other small bits got finished up too.

@timchubb

I use the GW Air range mixed with thinner but Yriel Yellow (the basecoat for my whole army…) is only available as a regular base paint. That said, I think I had the most trouble with the white undercoat. Apparently it’s just as shit going through an airbrush as it is coming off a regular brush.

I bought a full cleaning kit that came with a really handy metal pick. Great for scraping out the nozzle.

Have you any pics of your Admech yet? The circuitry idea sounds awesome.

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

@irredeemable no pics yet my phone camera is scratched to hell so everything I take is in soft focus ? be careful with the metal reamers it’s very easy to deform the tiny spray nozzle with metal on metal cleaning, where as a cocktail stick whittled to a point is much less likely to cause damage.  Yeah gws white is shite, for priming now I just use ump/stynelrez primers brilliant by air or brush works well with contrast, layer and any paint really and much easier to clean than vallejos

Will see if I get chance to paint today got a 1:1 scale bit of terrain to paint in my garden today as well (well a retaining wall I had get built before I had a landslide lol)
    IMG_20200508_184314
    IMG_20200515_145759
    may also see if I get time to build enclosure for my mk2 DIY compressor

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Having your own private landslide. How cool is that? 😉

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Do you own an airbrush setup?

I have an airbrush. It is very rarely set up. I want to like it, but I can never quite get it to work.

• Do you use it just for priming and terrain or also for detail work on miniatures?

I painted some terrain with it a year or so ago and it was ok, but I’ve never had a decent result on a mini with it; rattle-cans are just much easier for me.

• Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I didn’t understand what this meant when I first watched the Batman remake in 1989. I’m still not sure. I recall waiting for six hours(!) the day it came out at the cinema, and leaving feeling a little deflated. After all, I only had the 60s serial and the black-and-white Saturday morning Batmans from TV. I felt the remake wasn’t “bright” or camp enough to compete with the TV show, but not really dark enough to be a “serious” take on it (the Dark Knight, many years later, is more how I expected the original remake movie to be).

I don’t think I’ve watched it again since. I might try it again. It’s probably better than I remember (although nothing will get me to enjoy the annoying Prince soundtrack “BatDance”).

Pledges – internet connection *still* driving me crazy, making developing my own game idea slower than I’d have liked. So I might try some painting during “blackout” times. I’ve a squad of about eight cyber-punk dudes I started painting – maybe I need to get them finished….

Music. Wow.. Meatloaf. I spent decades hiding the fact that I think Dead Ringer is actually a brilliant album. We’re amongst friends, right? I love this song:

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

So *eh* by now ‘everyone’ knows that 9th edition 40k newest feature has been revealed to have a logo with alignment issues ?

I’m sure there’s more stuff in the new version too.

oh … and they did playtest the thing.
    For real!

I can’t believe they said so much without saying anything other than
    (1) yes there will be a new version
    (2) there is a new novel series for the ‘modern’ events that haven’t happened yet
    (3) new necrons
    (4) moar speessj marines … with chain swords !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)