Skip to toolbar

Batman Miniatures Game – where to start

Home Forums Pulp, Punk, Horror & Weird Tabletop Game Discussions Batman Miniatures Game – where to start

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ugleb 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

soldaan
    Participant
    299xp

Hey Guys,

I’ve been eyeing the Batman Miniatures Game for a while now but no one in my gaming group actually plays the game. So I was looking at the Knight Models website and was wondering what would be a good way to start. I was thinking with a little batman crew and a litte villain crew because I have to buy two crews to get my friends into the game.

What products would be a good start with? The starter boxes look great but are a bit expensive, and there isn’t a batman starterbox of the same size.

Do I need the sewer en lamppost models?
    Do I need those special dice sets or are they just for fun.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

You need two starter crews, d6s, objectives markers, priority markers and a bag for them, stun and blood tokens, other counters for certain effects, and the rulebook which isn’t too expensive

what country are you based in? You can usually get stuff cheaper at online retailers  and Knight models shipping speed and cost are big slow and pricey, respectively

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

The Bane, Batman, Joker and Sirens crews are a good starting point. The ones with 4-5 models each. The court of owls, league of assassins or mr freeze crews if your feeling more adventurous but these are more focused and less balanced (but potent in their own way)

larger sets and bat box sets are more ‘all in’

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  mage.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Sewers are optional, I think. Don’t play a huge impact.

Lamp posts are helpful as los and visibility is limited as all games take place at night and this is built into the rules. Unless your playing in Central City – there are rules for playing in other locales. So they help with shooting but can be destroyed

terrain is the most important thing

soldaan
    Participant
    299xp

Thanks for all the answers. I live in the Netherlands. What are good webshops to order from?

lstarup
    481xp
    Cult of Games Member

I know that Knight models are moving to resin models so try to look for some of the omder metal models I have just bougjt some and here you can save some money

regarding lamposts and sewer I just use some chips or wooden bases they dont look that nice but they do the job

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Most of the metals, if not all, are their own Exclusives now and some are disappearing, and either getting resculpted or recast in resin. Some models may or may not be legal for official Knight Models events, I am not sure.

Join the FB page, there are people more knowledgeable on it than me.

Batman Miniature Game & DC Universe Miniature Game Support Group

lobstermooch
    2096xp
    Cult of Games Member

If budget allows get two bat boxes as those will give you great starting crews.

I suggest getting joker crew, as it is great for newbies and doesn’t penalise the player for changing plans on the fly with regards to action counters.

Batman is a good choice for the second crew, so id say grab his little four model starter and maybe a free agent or two to bulk it out.

Only buy the old metals is you are very comfortable with using greenstuff. Their metals are plagued with miscasts and horrendous fittings. And it’ll be much harder to get replacements for metals if bits are missing.

Sewers and lamps are essential. Many companies make them though so google the cheapest option for you.

Counters are very important. Especially a ton of blood and stun, plus a set of condition markers is a good idea. I got mine from counter attack bases. The knight models tokens are a rip off, super expensive and not even close to having enough in one pack.

Dice, get some bigger d6 for rolling and smaller d6 for using as action counters on the character cards. Personally I hate the new small cards as ther isn’t much room on them for dice and counters unless you buy tue mdf card holders, which negates the space saving of the new design and costs more money.  So get some small dice!

Buildings and terrain wise, knights of dice make the best mdf buildings I have seen, but they are Australian so shipping might be high, though I think they do a deal for international shipping I can’t remember, but worth checkinf out! Otherwise ttcombat have nice city terrain also.

Objectives, the new resin ones are fairly cheap, but honestly its a lot of fun to make your own! Keep them on 30mm bases and skies the limit.

Rulebook, obviously this is needed, and is cheap too, softback so flicking through it is easy and you will need to flick, lots of abilities to reference!

I think thats it, its a great game, with a lot of flexibility, and some really cool minis. Core system is super easy to learn, but there is a lot of depth and tons of special abilities that make the characters more than just the numbers on their cards .

Hope your mates like it!

soldaan
    Participant
    299xp

Thank you guys for all the info. Where do you order the miniatures from? I hear a lot of complains about the KM own webstore and maybe there are some shops with a little bit of discount…

Thanks again!

ugleb
    12789xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would reccomend taking the plunge on the larger batbox sets as they are full sized crews in as box and each comes with a crew specific objective. There is no Brave and the Bold (Batman) batbox yet and some speculation that there won’t be one, but we have no way of knowing for sure.  The alternative is to buy the Batman/Arkham Guards 4 model starter and maybe the Gordon/Swat starter. If you are a Ra’s Al Ghul fan his starter is not in the league batbox so there would be no model overlaps.

You will need 3 lampposts and 3 sewers per player, plus objectives. These all come on 30mm bases so could be proxied if you want to keep the initial cost down. An alternative is to buy counter sets from somewhere like Counter Attack Bases. rulebook and traits compendium are free downloads on KM’s site as well.

When KM switched to resin they discontinued a large portion of the range which have now been softly retired in competitive play. ‘Standard format’ includes every model currently listed on KM’s webstore as everything there now has an updated 2nd edition card (which you can download). Anything not on the webstore is classed as ‘Eternal’ format, which most tournament organisers are using for now. If you want to play in tournaments bear this in mind if picking up metal models, everything in resin is fine.

Buying direct from KM means paying full RRP but they have some webstore exclusives and the odd promotion. I’m in the UK and order from Bag of Holding, I think they mast ship overseas but get in touch with them first.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  ugleb.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)