Skip to toolbar

Brush Care

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Brush Care

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  panzerkaput 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

What does everyone do/use for after care for your brushes?

I mean that after using them what do you do to clean them properly?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Curd soap. First I rinse with tap water, then swush it on the soap until foam is forming. I work that in with index finger and thumb, rinse again. After that I reform the tip by slowly dragging it over the bar of soap. Just need to remember to rinse thoroughly before use.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver

orinoco
    5358xp
    Cult of Games Member

The Masters brush cleaner and preserver normally.  Biostrip 42 brush restorer on anything stubborn.  I mainly use synthetic brushes (still looking for the best price/quality synthetic in the uk).  Heard good things about the Winsor and Newton brush restorer.

bluehealer
    Participant
    1371xp

As well as Masters brush cleaner, I’d recommend “zest-it” acrylic brush cleaner.

Our FLGS starting stocking it and can’t keep it on the shelf for long, as we’ve all become converts! Some brushes that I thought were dead have had Lazarus style comebacks after using it.

Bonus is it smells lovely!

Used Master’s for a while and then heard out about Jentastic’s Drunken Brush Goop and tried it on a lark. My good brushes won’t  be touched with anything else now and I’m not going back. Masters takes care of my heavy duty brushes.

stubbybrush
    Participant
    923xp

Any baby shampoo is perfect, it even contains a conditioner. If it’s safe enough for a baby it certainly safe enough for my sable brushes.

I also use Abteilung 502 ” Magic Gel for Brushes ” after washing to keep them pointed!

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

I lick mine into a point.

That’s it. 😉

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for your help and @blinky465 you employ no brush care at all beside licking. Hope long on average to your brushes last?

darkvernon
    Participant
    1588xp

The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver

Same here!
    And a Raphael or a Windsor&Newton can last up from one year and a half to two years and a half with it…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  darkvernon.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

I’ve just replaced a series 7 I bought in 2015

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

@panzerkaput – I’ve a W&N Series 7 that’s a couple of years old that I mainly use for eyes and little else. I have a couple of orange-tipped Citadel standard brushes that have just reached the point where they’re only good for base coating (so who knows how old they are?!). My “workhorse” brushes are Pro Arte Renaissance (green handle) sable brushes. The ones I’m currently using are from Xmas. I haven’t painted much in the last few weeks, but before that at least once or twice a week (sometimes more often).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  blinky465.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

I use the brush soap from greenstuff world. I bought it from the OTT store last time I made a purchase. It seems to be helping to preserve the brush tips. Needs to be used for a few more months to be certain it has helped.

collins
    16343xp
    Cult of Games Member

I use broken toad brush soap when I remember. when I don’t remember I simply use paint water and the old lick and twist.

soapdodger
    17313xp
    Cult of Games Member

The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver weekly. Water daily. if I mess up brush cleaner right away and if a destroy a brush then Vallejo Brush Restorer for a chance at life.

I went on a quest and bought about 9 different brands and ranges to find my perfect brush. Replaced some S7 WN after 2 (or 3) years with Artis Opus, point doesn’t seem to last as long already burned one but moved to Raphael 8404 which is my favourite brush. 1 8404 brush lasted 100 or 120 models before just losing the point. I do however paint a lot with lots of touches per model, brush be damned (don’t change brush between basecoats and eyes). Moved to just one or two sizes of brush as bought full spreads (00 – 3) for S7 and S7 Miniature with no use for them. just used each one until death or close to 7 left now with at least 70 hours of painting on the least used brush (small ones).

Everyone paints differently and stores their brushes differently, some people bring out best to do certain actions. Others use their new £15 brush to paint on PVA, I’m closer to but not quite the bottom. Don’t think there is a definitive way of saying which product or method works best without putting in years of testing and even then it will be subjective. My advice is to accept they are consumable tools and you can try and take care of them as best you can but they are not going to last forever. When you finish a product or brush is reaching the end of it’s life try another and compare if you think the grass is greener. I went from nothing to a bar of soap to conditioner to what I use currently. Did see fancy new products but just bought another larger masters so I think I am content.

The only thing I can 100% say is metallic do ware brushes down ultra fast no matter how I have cleaned them. I only use cheap synthetics for them now if I need a fine point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)