Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 2/8/19 – We're Just Visiting, Honest!

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 2/8/19 – We're Just Visiting, Honest!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

First the Copy Paste

Welcome to the Hobby Weekender. This is a collaborative thread, please be encouraging, don’t be a dick, keep politics and religion out, be supportive and constructive.

Post music, and good music. Be respectful. Talk to people. Post pictures. Write hobby background, make terrain, spray stuff, build stuff, play stuff and tell hobby anecdotes. Show us your homebrew. Points will be awarded on a whim and are entirely arbitrary.

Today Also Marks the Beginning of WWII with the German Invasion of Poland (Hence the Title of this Weekender) on September 1st 1939 so I’ll be sprinkling in some very light and basic updates to the invasion as the week goes by.

Nope that’s my bad I’m exactly one month early. I was having a chat about this earlier in the day and started flipping through “Germany Strikes” and well made a mistake. They are indeed just visiting 🙂

So, make a pledge and respond to questions. A more detailed answer fuels the discussion, discuss things with people and give us all something to work with and grow as people and exchange ideas, as well as create new ones.

Now the Questions!

1. How do you like your Rulebooks done? Hardback, Softback, Spiral Bound, PDF or something else how do you like to read and collect your rulebooks?

2. How much Fluff do you create for your Armies? Do you write thousands of words of backstory for that Vampire Lord? Do you name your key character or do you just go for a Vanilla Style Force and let the game itself tell the story?

3. What’s the most Frustrating Hobby thing you’ve ever built? Was it that MDF Kit that just wouldn’t go together? A Giant Metal/Resin Mini that seemed to repel Super Glue or anything else Hobby Related.

Remember to Post the Three M’s. Minis, Memes and Music!!!

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

I will be working on some Ancient Barbarians for SPQR or any Ancient Skirmish Game since well the minis don’t change do they?

PHOTO_20190802_125041-minPHOTO_20190802_125036-minPHOTO_20190802_125051-minPHOTO_20190802_125047-min

This Morning/Last Night @oriskany was kind enough to have me on the SitRep Podcast Stream where he made up some counters for Valour and Victory: Rhodesia which you can check out here https://www.twitch.tv/sitreppodcast

What’s everyone else’s Hobby Looking Like?

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some Invasion of Poland Themed Music from Sabaton

At 2:15 you can actually see footage of a Tank’s Turret being blown proably 50 feet into the air which is cool!

This One technically happens next week but 720 Poles hold out against Guderian Himself! (Oh and his 42,000 Troops) for Four Days! The Poles weren’t as big a pushovers as some Historians would have you believe.

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Awesome!  Does this mean I am first?  😀

1. How do you like your Rulebooks done? Spiral bound, actually.  Makes it easy to lay down and easily flip through for reference at the table.  Many times I print a PDF, and punch it into a three-ring binder for a similar convenience.

2. How much Fluff do you create for your Armies? By the time our Werewolf the Apocalypse game was complete, our written chronicle tipped the scales at just over four million words.  Then again, this is mostly very poor writing (we went for sheer length and detail, absolutely no planning, a lot of it just journal work, ect), it took 11 years (1997 – 2008), and was the amassed contributions of 22 players / writers.  More recently, the PanzerBlitz: Grossdeutchland campaign journal tipped out at 60,000 words (2011), PanzerBlitz Barbarossa campaign journal at about 100,000 words (2012-13), Arab Israeli Wars at 150,000 (2013-2015).  After that it was Darkstar (2012-present).  I don’t even know what those campaign journals are at.

But of course, those are the old days.  😐

3. What’s the most Frustrating Hobby thing you’ve ever built? I won’t embarrass the company, suffice it to say I don’t but from these people any more. A resin Il-2 Sturmovik shattered like glass.  A pack of A-15 Crusaders was so bad that one of them straight out had the gun missing, I had to replacing it with a molding finishing nail.

I also had very bad luck with some Warlord LRDG trucks (my very first swing at 28mm), but that was mostly my fault and some helpful tips from the community helped me salvage the work.  They didn’t turn out too bad in the end, but at first they really didn’t look good at all.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. How do you like your Rulebooks done? Hardback, Softback, Spiral Bound, PDF or something else how do you like to read and collect your rulebooks?

Hardback. So you can wack them on someones head who touched/dropped your minis or tries to cheat. Plus it’s a nice make shift tray

2. How much Fluff do you create for your Armies? Do you write thousands of words of backstory for that Vampire Lord? Do you name your key character or do you just go for a Vanilla Style Force and let the game itself tell the story?

No Fluff. But that’s mainly because in Star Wars Legion most characters already have enough fluff 😉

3. What’s the most Frustrating Hobby thing you’ve ever built? Was it that MDF Kit that just wouldn’t go together? A Giant Metal/Resin Mini that seemed to repel Super Glue or anything else Hobby Related.

Either that was was my first metal mini which didn’t play well with my super glue *at all* (or I did it wrong) or one of my first model kits I build. I was 10. It was an aircraft carrier. And I could only use one hand because of a broken bone in my hand and the arm was in a cast. I ended up with fighter planes glued to my arm…. XD

Anonymous
    0xp

September is next month.

Pledge
    Paint tanks, paint tiny fighty men and also start on working out a paint scheme for next weekends hobby weekend.

Well edited and actually proofread is usually a good start.  I also prefer a hard copy, no really preference beyond that.

Pretty much zero.   Occasionally my basing might tell a story.  I don’t read fan fiction and have absolutely no desire in writing it myself.

There are a couple of Airfix and Revell kits that were so badly tooled, I still haven’t finished them and they remain in a box somewhere.  The Deadzone Asterians from Mantic are very frustrating due to their mould lines.  Back in the 90s, the plastic body, metal weapons GW Devastators were a pain, especially when you were too proud to listen to advice about pinning the weapons on… oh teenage me, you were nearly as big a dick as I am now 🙂

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oops that’s embarrassing guess I had it in my mind after hearing it earlier today.

I won’t change the name since they are just visiting this time. next time they’re coming back to stay!

@robert I just googled the Asterians and wow if they have any significant mold lines they just became a feature of the mini because there’s no way I’d be able to get it off without breaking the fiddly minis.

@sundancer Hardback books are fantastic trays especially if you’re extrmely forgetful and always leave the tray at home 🙂

@oriskany wow 4 Million Words! So you guys basically wrote the entire “Wheel of Time” series or 10 Lord of the Rings Books worth of material that’s very impressive!

Anonymous
    0xp

Have some free time today so getting my hobby on…

But first – found this interesting, never heard of them before.

Anyway a Panther, a Maus and a Stug walk into a bar and the barman says…

IMG_1992

IMG_1993IMG_1994IMG_1995

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not dead yet!
    Just dropping in to let you folks know I’m still in the hospital but am on the mend – docs reckon I could be discharged Monday, which would be nice ? Of course this does mean I have a small mountain of post to work through when I get home, including Mythic Battles 1.5 (although annoyingly I’m one of the 900 who are waiting on the 1.5 components due to a snafu with backers not finalising their pledge managers in time…), this months Conquest, some extra issues I’d forgotten to cancel, and Asset Drop. No idea how long they’ll have me signed off for but hopefully I can make a dent whilst recovering, and will probably throw some stuff in the marketplace to have a bit of a purge….

Onto questions:

1. I like ringbound for ease of use, but appreciate its not an option everyone can go for.failing that I like to have a digital copy to hand, even better if it’s optimised, but otherwise soft back for tabletop use, hardback for reading through at home….
    2. Depends on the game in question, but even when playing games in Middle Earth to the GFFA I enjoy spinning my own fluff, sometimes building off what is already there, other times coming up with something whole cloth (whilst trying to avoid falling into Gary or Mary Sue territory). For example I’m giving serious though to trying to write something fictiony for the Raptors Chapter of Space Marines & the Crimson Fists post-Dark Imperium as there are some excellent hooks in the fluff for both that I want to play with…
    3. Infinity Pan-O Medium and Heavy Infantry antennae pre-remould. Hateful gubbins that you can lose at the drop of a hat. Otherwise my original Forge World Valkyrie was so annoying to build i’ve never actually finished painting it.

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh and an easy #3 is the miniatures from Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster. Some amazing sculpts, but ruined by being board game material that needed assembly by the player. And LOTS of green stuff for som elf the more gribbly models. Plus detailed construction guides only made available online. If CMON were to make this game today and release it with the minis pre-assembled with trays for everything in the box it’d be a KS hit. As it it became a warning and a forlorn footnote. So much potential wasted….

unclejimmy
    9225xp

…thanks for telling me!

Anonymous
    0xp

@dawfydd good to see your typed words on a screen again and it is good to read you are on the mead and have plenty of hobby to keep you occupied while recovering.  I’d forgotten about Sedition Wars – definitely was a shame and I felt for Mike McVey… he is still a boyhood hero… you are right, could have been massive.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd happy to have you back mate!

On a different note: Tomorrow, we will dine in hell! …  no, wait… I will dine in hell…. no that’s not it either…

…Ah! yes. Tomorrow I’m at a Star Wars Legion tournament. Wish me luck. And only me because the other guys all really know how to play 😉

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Okay, a little bit of hobby done … of a sorts … (gimme a break, I’m still at work) …

My hobby desk / dining room table had officially reached that point I think all hobbyists dread, when … every time the planets align and yet actually get 20 minutes of time where you’re (a) free and (b) not friggin’ exhausted, you actually feel like this all isn’t a colossal waste of time … and you actually feel like picking up a brush or knife or glue … and you realize you have 45-60 minutes of real WORK to do before you can even start …

E2590_WE_01

So I nuked it clean. NOW I might actually be able to get something started or finished.
    E2590_WE_05

Went out for a smoke break this afternoon and made a new friend.  He was enjoying a lunch of grass and clover.

E2590_WE_03

Whaddup, bud?
    E2590_WE_04

Last night @elessar2590 and I were on Sitrep Twitch designing Valor & Victory counters for the Rhodesian Light Infantry.
    E2590_WE_06

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge:

1) Build Darkstar game this evening.

2) Record Podcast tomorrow morning with @stvitusdancern and others.

3) Run Darkstar tomorrow afternoon with @damon and potentially an opponent, perhaps @gladesrunner .

4) Draw Panzer Leader: 1939 map tomorrow evening.

5) Run Panzer Leader: 1939 game tomorrow afternoon with @yavasa .

Somewhere in there, finish script for Episode 10 Ops Center, finish sound mixing on Vietnam: Australian Tanks game video Part 01, start an Arab-Israeli Wars scenario design for @unclejimmy .  😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)