Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 20/07/18 Is this the real life

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 20/07/18 Is this the real life

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 68 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

ok I will fill this out later people. We all know the drill but I’ll edit this part later.

ladies and gentlemen, start your pledges!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  warzan.

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

Annnnd we’re back… Yay.

Well, thanks to a fantastic and generous guy who I shall not name in case @mage does not want  me to tell anybody what a Diamond he really is, and an early Xmas present from the wife, I am hoping my pledge this week will be painting up some miniatures from the Batman Miniature game (if they arrive). Otherwise Matty and I shall be playing a game of something (there was mention of Dropzone Commander).

Nananananananana Batmaaaan… oops sorry…. can’t get that out of my head at the moment….

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

Still plugging away on my Tiger Zug , but hoping to get # 2 finished this weekend . And surprisingly I’ve got quite a bit done on my Were Croc figure , so I’ll post some pictures after work today .

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@biggabum Its a free country. Well, I’m assuming it is haha. Go for it.

@a27cromwell Good to see you.

Ill make a proper post soon. I can’t take pictures as my phone is dead and my ear suddenly hurts. Cue… tip!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

My pledge:
    Work on my backlog and post pictures of it. There’s a lot. I mean, you’ll see it. This is not a lazy answer.

The questions:

(1) What have you been up to in my absence?

(2) Did you miss the weekender thread? Of course not! Don’t answer this one!

(3) Tell me something interesting you discovered or got or did with hobby this week.

(4) Recommend me a tv show.

@biggabum 30 points @a27cromwell 30 points thanks lads for consistently helping me prop up this concept and tradition.

@a27cromwell Post some pictures bro 🙂

For you @biggabum

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage That’s about right mate. Wife asked me if I wanted some fruit from Asda, my reply? Bananananananananas for the Fatman 😀

On to the questions…

1)  Well, Reading the BMG rulebook and working out Crew lists. Not so easy with a new game system that you’re not familiar with. We have all got a starter box, Matty has the Joker and three Clowns, Chris has Bane and three Mercenaries, and I have Batman and three Arkham Guards, so where to go from there to build up to 350 rep?

Matty has opted to flesh out his crew and has decided to go for the numbers game, adding Harley Quinn (Classic), Jokers Titan Clown, and two more Clowns, giving him the numbers (8 Mini’s), some firepower albeit short and Medium ranged and a reasonably hard hitter in the Titan Clown.

Chris is a little undecided as to whether to add Bird and his Mercs (although he will still only have three after dropping some to bring his crew to 350 Rep) and Electrocutioner (gives him Six models) or to add Deadshot and Electrocutioner (gives him five models) simply because he likes Deadshot.

Me, I pondered getting Commisioner Gordon and his elite SWAT team for a while but Nightwing (Arkham Knight) kept calling out to me. In the end I went with Nightwing and Batgirl (rebirth) which after dropping on of the Arkham Guards gives me 333 rep (Matty and Chris both managed to hit 350 rep dead on).

2) Actually I did. It sort of felt like knowing you have forgotten to do something but cant remember what… you know, going to the shop and forgetting to put your trousers on…… errrm ok just me then….

3) Well the Batman Rulebook of course.

4) Uhhhm I think i’ve done all the “good uns” I watch but Chris has been raving about a thing called Riverdale on Netflix. Not a horror or anything like that but a Whodunnit/Drama so i’m told.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

To everyone else reading and curious;

Dive on in and post, its fun!

Bananas? I don’t get that reference. Apples liquified? (Cider)

(1) Have you found Hero Builder? Id say use that and see what you can squeeze in. Rule of cool, for me. Then again I do not play the game competitively. Matty picked out some cool choices. As for Chris those are a good choice to add. Some very useful models. Which version of Deadshot? Pick him for more firepower, hes the easy choice, any version of him. Monstrous. The only thing that will save your characters are bad dice rolls from being attacked. Your all expanding nicely. Be careful with the leg joint on the resin Batgirl mini, Ive seen snaps on FB groups.

(2) Did the shop feel cold? I feel you. I was burned out from running the thread. Now I have an empty house for a few hours and my brain can decompress from everything, Im feeling more enthused about immersing myself in the thread, hobby and pop culture interests.

(3) Ah, yes.

(4) A modern retelling of Archie Comics.

70 poitns. I better answer my own questions and post my own stuff,

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

So, the first of my hobby that I am posting up. I cant even rember the first of my hobby today. Ill post a link to a full form post of my experiences, but for now here is a taster. I have a writing bug at the moment so expect, hopefully, many repeats of this:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Here is the full post: https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/mages-lego-review-stormtrooper-brick-headz/

I got a lego mini figure, Batman series 2, got knows what series overall, blind buy. Phew, out of breath. Anyway, two pics and self explanatory. Hardly worth an article:

What did I get? Another Wonder Twin…

View post on imgur.com

Look at that damnable, horrendous grin…

View post on imgur.com

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage it was the only fruit I could think of with nanananananana in it 😀

Oooh no I shall have a look for it.

I think its the Arkham Origins version (the one with the wrist thingy).

Ahhh thanks for the heads up on Batgirl, if it proves to be too much of a pain I’ll swap it out for the metal Batgirl and just use the “Rebirth” card. Was  tempted to go for the metal version in the first place and just print off the “Rebirth” card but didn’t know about the fragile leg when I ordered it.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Ah, I had a brain fart then. My bad.

Interesting.

The casting quality of some of the older batches of Knight models minis are quite horrendous FYI. It took them a while to sort out quality control, but they did. Be weary, though.

I’d say glue something to the leg so that it is more bound to the base, like a rock or branch.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yay, we’re back!!

I see everyone is raring to go  🙂

My plege is to paint something. Anything. as it’s been like three weeks (this weather is not conducive to painting if you have to move a stack of stuff jsut to get to your painting area >_< ).

I’ve been playing around with the kits I’ve got lying around, including these TOTALLY LOYAL SONS OF THE EMPEROR ahem.

2018-07-08 20.52.50

And finished this ferocious scion of Fenris off this evening

2018-07-20 22.15.49

Having read Ashes of Prospero I dig the idea of squads of Grey Slayers from the returned 13th distributed amongst the other Great Companies, and reckon this’ll do for a squad Sgt. (I also love the idea of these oh-so-serious hunters suddenly finding themselves amongst the more, shall we say enthusiastically, Wolfy Chapter that their Legion has now become…). Might try to build a full 10-man unit over the weekend, if nothing else as a test-bed for kill-Teams.

On the other hand Operation: Coldfront has reminded me I have a TON of infinity sitting around needing finishing off. There’s some Steel Phalanx and Nomads I might try to get done if I can 🙂

1) see above, also built another Gundam kit, this time the ubiquitous Leo from Gundam Wing. I REALLY am ffighting the urge to order like another 5 of these to just production line as thye are crazy  quick to build:
    2018-07-07 22.48.20

2) well this thread is part of what motivates my hobby, so there ya go 😀

3) having built the Commissar Lord I’ve had sitting around for a few years, I’ve learnt I HATE Finecast. What were they on >_<

4) do you like  your action/drama spiced with fancy historical flashbacks, some truly mind-boggling guest stars all draped in a dollop of Queen? Well Highlander: The Series is on Amazon Prime (or at least the first season is). Seriously though, this show was BONKERS, but had some spiffy swordplay 😉

https://www.amazon.co.uk/For-Evils-Sake/dp/B07D3SFNWF/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1532122266&sr=1-2&keywords=highlander

alternatively someone at Amazon realized this was the closest thing they could get to recommend to folks watching Outlander 😀

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh, and The Clone Wars is back baybee awwwyeeeea!!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@dawfydd Good to see you. Im turning in for the night. Im up, heading to training and then doing a two hour pokemon go thing, as well as other pay cheque weekend stuff. I will return, and post commentary and points.

As well we more of my own material, of course! For now, ten points for the Clone Wars post and I will tackle your main post tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  mage.

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

I’ve just been plugging away on building and painting my Tigers with the occasional detour to build a few German Paras for tank riders  . As well I’m still messing about with those garden gnomes ,and every once in a while I’ll add a bit of paint to my Were Croc IMG_20180720_174205606

IMG_20180720_194719544IMG_20180720_194728088

I actually did miss the weekender thread . Its nice to drop in and see a few familar faces as it were . Great to see what people are getting done over a couple of days on a weekend , as well as seeing the progress of those who are working on long term projects .

Something interesting about the hobby , hmm . Well I’ve come to realize that I don’t really like building mulitples of the same vehicle . While kit bashing and modifying a tank is fun , having to do the same thing on  2 or 3 becomes a chore . My other multiple tank kits , Panzer III (3 ) and T-34 / 85 ( 5)  were very different from each other , thus more fun IMO .

I don’t watch TV , haven’t for probably 20 years , spent too much time as a long haul truck driver to keep up with any shows . But I do have a great collection  of DVDs . Been watching the first season of Peaky Blinders , awesome show , and just picked up all 4 seasons of the Star Trek show Enterprise . So my sci fi  itch should be sated for at least a month or so

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)