Skip to toolbar

I'm after suggestions

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion I'm after suggestions

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  blinky465 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

osbad
    4274xp
    Cult of Games Member

So it turns out I’ll have been working at my current employers’ for 20 years and will be eligible for a small bonus.  Thing is, I can’t take it in cash, it has to be “stuff” of some kind to avoid it being taxable.
    What a shame (NOT)!

So as a gamer I’m having a ponder.

This is where you lot could help me.

I’d like to buy something completely that is new to me, and a pretty complete experience, and which is a minis game (board games are OK, but must contain minis to paint, rather than blocks, or meeples or whatever).

My budget is £220 (including postage to UK) and it needs to be delivered within the next month or so (so kickstarters are out)

I’m thinking of starter sets, with maybe a booster or two?  Dungeon Crawlers?  Something that isn’t just an add-on to an existing sprawling game system

I’m quite familiar with the bigger (or at least better publicised) manufacturers in the market (Battlefront, Warlord, Mantic, North Star, Corvus Belli, Osprey) as I regularly watch the Weekender, so I’d be really interested in some of the smaller guys that may have slipped through the net.  But anything is pretty game to be honest (pun intended!)

Anyone willing to make any suggestions?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

Moonstone  Right up the top of my list, 6 minis a side and for 220 you could get a fair chunk of two forces

Bot War Firestorm have some stock in Wales, giant stompy robots punching face

Age of Penda range of 18mm historical stuff easy book to pick up different game

WoFun massive and ever expanding range of flats starter sets come with a simple ruleset

Assassin Creed they tell me it’s based on an arcade video game

Dead Man’s Hand Cowboys, that is all

that should get you started

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would suggest God Tear by Steam Forged games, it is a lot of fun and is the best of both worlds, board game and miniature game. The starter set is about $65 and the faction sets are around $40-45 I believe. All the miniatures are really nice detailed plastic and pre-assembled. I picked the game at AdeptiCon, there are 2 different starter sets each with 2 different factions, and I believe about 12 more factions. To play the game at its full capacity you need 6 factions as each player chooses 3 to choose play each game, and they are all playable together so that you can do a draft before the game to switch up the factions you play. The game is very a balanced and the models for each faction are set so no list building. The game plays quickly, and it should be easy to get a few games finished in an evening, and if you get both starter sets you can have 2 games running at the same time. I highly recommend!

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

Dead Man’s Hand is a great suggestion, miniatures are available from a ton of places, and who doesn’t like some old west gun fights

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Deadman’s Hand is awesome.  If you wanted a bit of a twist on that, The Chicago Way is the same game but with 1920s Gangsters.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

If you like solo/coop boardgames then Journeys in Middle Earth bt FFG… you could probably get the core and both expansions with the budget. Miniatures to paint of course. And if you want to replace the the cardboard terrain with 3D they look on Etsy.

Actually… just look at Etsy anyway… some great stuff there.

Carnevale by TT Combat has some great minatures if you don’t mind resin. Starter is available. If you want something different with larger scale mini there’s Rumbleslam… fantasy wrestling.

Privateer Press have some great stuff for Warmachine/Hordes.

Village Attacks by Grimlord Games is coop boardgame where you play the monsters. Castle Defence. They also do Endure the Stars if you want SF miniatures game.

And with that sort of budget you could always go for one of those really expensive games you wouldn’t buy for yourself… Gloomhaven for example. Not many miniatures of course.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Bot War or Star Wars: Legion.

Or some big terrain pieces? MDF kits? Or just go full mental and shop at Heresy Miniatures every mini you desire 😉

somegeezer
    18339xp
    Cult of Games Member

MDF kits is a good idea. E.g. if Waterloo is your thing Sarissa do the three big farmhouses.  One of those, Plancenoit and a couple of smaller buildings would fill your budget and we all know that buying terrain is a virtue.

On the subject of terrain, one thing that would challenge most of our budgets is a castle. You could pick up a good lot of Renedra plastic castle bits. A big centerpiece model to mark the occasion.

That or £220 fancy booze ?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  somegeezer.

osbad
    4274xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some good ideas there.  Thanks for the contributions one and all.  I hadn’t thought of terrain, which was an oversight.  I could be tempted by Fooooogoooooouu maybe?  Or perhaps something beautiful from Tabletop World.   Hmm.  So many choices!  Keep ’em coming!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

If it needs to be “something physical” are vouchers an option? So you don’t need to go mental just now and save some up for later projects?

somegeezer
    18339xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh Tabletop World. That’s definitely a good choice for a windfall!

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Other options that perhaps aren’t as “Ooooh SHINEY”, but perhaps more useful…..

Some form of gaming table, OR storage options (such as the EKET ones from Ikea). I bought something similar to the EKET range from Ikea (some with normal doors, some with glass doors, shelves and lighting as display cabinets, and some just “open” to use as bookshelves), and have always said it was probably the best wargaming spend I ever made (rather than another half finished army/game).

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Get a 3D printer and some resin.

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

3d resin printer. Even a mono screen 4k is less than £200 at the minute. But any of them (even the original non-monos) are great little “starter” machines. Collecting stls from patreon is like a crack habit.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  blinky465.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)