Skip to toolbar

New Pit Fighter game

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion New Pit Fighter game

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s a Kickstarter by The 3dPrintingPro Greg Kourakos. A brilliant-looking “filler” game. As he describes it himself – like rock, paper, scissors (yes, paper-scissors-stone) – with six options.

Imagine a game with a low-model count, some really nice (but not too much) terrain and a play time that doesn’t take up the whole afternoon. Where players can really go to town painting their one (or two) champions, then throw them into the fight pit.

I’m really excited for this one.

Anyone else?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is this a new gametype that’s creeping up on us ?

Awaken Realms Lite do something similar too :

Both have the same idea, nearly identical setups (small themed arenas).

Turning rock, paper, scissors (lizard, spock? ;)) into a lightweight filler game like this is kind of cool.
    I don’t know if it really needs the miniatures to be honest, but as a ‘3D print&play’ style game it is an interesting experiment.

innes
    11086xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pitfighter looks interesting.

@limburger  Just been playing Knockdown on TabletopSimulator this afternoon. Its pretty good.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think these are a bit too minimalistic for my taste. It’s like the video fighting games. You’re either a button masher hoping for the best (me) and regularly get kicked in the dust or you know every combo of your character by heart and muscle memory and you just ROFL-stop all over other players.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think it is both over engineered and too simplistic at the same time.
    OTOH … that could make for an awesome display piece / demo game at a convention.
    Or it could be a drinking game …

The Pit Fighter game does have more content and it has a more consistent look & feel (and is practically begging for lights and other electronic wizardry ;))
    Lack of a 3D printer makes that not an option, but if you do then you do get to create your own unique boardgame.
    Without the physical game it kind of lacks the oomph it needs to be fun, which kind of shows that graphics/components do (help) sell games.

Meanwhile ‘Knockdown’ … feels like it is too expensive for what it tries to deliver.
    Fighting games thrive on having a ton of fighters to pick and chose from.
    2 is a bit too basic. The lack of overall theme for that game

Watching @laughingboy play GW’s “Gorechosen” on his twitch-channel reminded me that GW sort of tried to make a similar game already.

(side note : I wonder what other games are ‘public domain’ enough to allow you to create your own ‘deluxe/limited edition’ with the help of a 3D printer and a bit of artistic license )

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I must admit, I was drawn to Pit Fighter by the neat little fighting arenas. It made each battle look like a miniature diorama in its own right (I’ve got a bit of a “thing” for dioramas since pretty well ignoring them until April this year).

I actually quite like the rules too – a bit of bluff/counter-bluff; a bit of “if I were in their position, what would I do?” in order to choose which attack/counter you should play yourself. It *is* only a simple game. But I’m also a fan of simple. I don’t see restrictive rules as stifling creativity, as some do (in fact, for me, restrictive forces you to be creative – I like programming microchips and find it more “creative” than programming for super-computers, for example.) Who still doesn’t smile when they win a round of rock-paper-scissors?

About the only thing I’m not sure about is that it looks like what it is – a collection of miniatures created by a collection of creators; personally I think this is where the cohesion falls down a little bit. For me, some of the minis are a bit, stylistically, at odds with others. But that doesn’t stop it looking like a fun little game. And having a large range of characters to choose from will keep the replayability factor up for a while.

(and – of course – my own version is going to be stuffed full of lights and rotating blades and stabby pikes….)

More than anything, I like the idea that you could go to your local gaming club with your favourite champion, single miniature, fully painted and ready for battle, and play them in a quick game inbetween some tabletop action.

Or at least… you used to be able to 😉

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Or it could be a drinking game …

Like Looping Louie? 😉

More than anything, I like the idea that you could go to your local gaming club with your favourite champion, single miniature, fully painted and ready for battle, and play them in a quick game inbetween some tabletop action.

I get very much vibes from way back past when we took our favourite Transformer to school and fought our “battles”. Maybe that is the appeal here too? But then again: to get the most out of it you would need a “large” group to have multiple opponents to fight.

How long has that been now…. *sigh*

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 I wouldn’t expect any less from you 😀

I don’t mind simple rules, in fact I’d welcome them.
    However I’m not a fan of making it so abstract that it is just rock-paper-scissors with miniatures in order to sell it.

It is a very fine line though.

I think this being a ‘build it yourself’ thing makes it feel less like a cash grab and more like a hobby on its own as assembly becomes part of the overall experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)