Skip to toolbar

The Watch on BEEb i player

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion The Watch on BEEb i player

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  markohenry 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well watched the 1st one and a half episodes last night…………………!

See why Gerry gave it the big thumbs down… as it has much to do with Terry Pratchetts books on the Watch as did the Films Starship Troopers to the Book. As in it used some of the characters names and a bit of the plot(s) from the books.

My guess is it the same as ST in that some one had a script that nobody wanted at the BEEB, they got the rights to the books and thought lets change the names of the characters , adapt the plot and call it Terry Pratchetts watch , most of its audience wont no the difference.

oh and for their fans no Nobby and Colon!!!!!!!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nobby and Colon is what makes the Watch .. the Watch
    well them and Carrot and Capt. Vimes

totsuzenheni
    Participant
    5651xp

Is The Watch set in Discworld?

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

Sort of,, it is an alternate universe Discworld.

I have to say as a show I really enjoyed it, but it is definitely not the city watch we know and love.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  wurzzel.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

I couldn’t get through first episode. It’s the names and city, but does not compare to the novels.

I thought the previous TV incarnations of Pratchett’s work were poor, but that goes to a new low.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  pagan8th.

solar
    Participant
    2731xp

Typical of the BBC it looks like they’ve tried to take something that was near perfect and modify it to fit a woke agenda and in the process ruined the original work. This is pretty much their M.O these days.

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

@pagan8th I thought (with the exception of CoM) that the TV adaptations were rather good, especially Hogfather and Wyrd Sisters.

@solar as it’s BBC America and not good old aunty is it their “woke” agenda? Also which part did you think was “woke”

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

Ventinari was a woman instead of a man. Deaths eyes were worse than Star Wars IV Jawa eyes. The acting was dismal. Angua was not how I pictured her personality. Vimes was a tool. And was that supposed be Gaspode the Dog?

It’s a shame. As the novels involving the guard were some of the better ones. I was never keen on witches ones and some of his later novels lacked the humour of his earlier works.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  pagan8th.

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

I don’t know if it was supposed to be Gaspode, but I think everyone is making that assumption.

Vimes was a tool though. People seem to forget that and only seem to remember what he became.

solar
    Participant
    2731xp

@wurzzel If you read quotes from the guy who wrote/adapted it, it is quite clear that wokeness was indeed intended.

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

@solar I haven’t seen those comments but I’ll go have a look. However maybe for me it’s hard to see it as “woke” when the source material itself is pretty “woke”

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

Who ever came up with ‘woke’ used in this way?

Woke is just a past tense of wake in my vocabulary.

solar
    Participant
    2731xp

Wikipedia has a whole article on the origins of the term. I agree it is a childish sounding term, but I didn’t invent it 😉

markohenry
    Participant
    30xp

Good to see this discussion. thanks all

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)