Skip to toolbar

To Base or not to Base? (FoW)

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions To Base or not to Base? (FoW)

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  amachan 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

So, I have seen some people base their vehicles for Flames of War and other 15mm wargames. Apart from the modelling perspective what is the advantage of basing your vehicles compared to not basing them? And what size bases should I use if I choose to base them?

I am also wondering whether I do the earlier vehicles in camouflage or not, you can read more on that over in my project blog over here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project-entry/1829350/

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

Adding a base also allows you to pick up a model without touching the paint, as for Camo it’s pretty confusing. Early war German armour is grey, but they did introduce a two tone camo by adding a brown colour this was done by he individual crews. There is also pictures out there of tanks in the Eastern front using camo similar to Africa which was introduced in 1942/43

Screenshot_20230720-095908

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

I don’t see the problem in picking up the model without the base, it is a wargaming model so you’d prepare for that with the likes of a varnish. Maybe that’s just me though.

For the camouflage, I was really looking at camouflage that would be regularly applied from the factory or at least the base for it. I am aware Germans did do some camouflage themselves and so did the Soviets on occasion. But doing similar camouflage on all armour is kind of what I was implying at.

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

To my knowledge it wasn’t until later in the war that the camo was applied at the factory just the dunkelgelb or panzer grey base coat and units were supplied with red and green paint which is why you get so many different variations of German camo

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

I know, that’s why I was wondering of doing it on earlier tanks so that I could easily take them with me to the later war.

wurzzel
    Participant
    2734xp

Sorry I think I misinterpreted your question, if you use dunkelgelb as a base they’ll do for late war as well as Panzer grey was completely phased out. Of course it’s also your little tanks so it only matters if it matters to you 🙂

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

The major advantage basing your tanks DOES give is storage. Your models are less likely to shift around (unless you plan on getting one of those fancy storage solutions where the tanks are individually placed in pre-cut foam sheets). So I’d say yes to this question (it’s all the matter of personal preference), Although the Battle Front plastics do allow you to easily magnetise the turrets (so you can store the turrets separately in your carry case and thus they are less likely to suffer from a broken barrel or bent co-ax mg).

But then you’ll also base your infantry squads, so basing your tanks will help tie in the overall “look” of your army (no matter what the paintjob, so perhaps you could have some softskins in the older “grey” paint job and your tanks in the Ambush pattern). It’s all up to you really…..

But one thing I DO wish Battle Front would bring back is the old horse drawn limbers (last seen when they came in the little green boxes). As a lot of the German transport was horse born (limbers, supply wagons etc) it seems weird that almost ALL figure manufacterers seem to not bother and instead offer the heavy artillery tractors instead (the SKDF 11 was more expensive to produce than a lot of the tanks they made). Those old models were excellent (I’ve got a full battery of Soviet ones for my 45mm ATGs), and the company supply wagons (which had a weird circular tail gate with the spare wheel attached to it) are extremely useful for denoting ammo supply points on the table. But alas they never listen 🙁

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

For the camouflage, I have decided that with my project I am just sticking to 1942 for now and not think too much about the rest and just try to focus on 1 conflict. So all my Germans will be panzer grey with the odd camouflage additions done by the crew.

I have been magnetizing the turrets so far, not sure if I am going to continue with it in the log run though.

If I am basing my tanks I wonder what bases to use. The standard Flames of War bases aren’t going to work most of the time. For example the medium base is wide enough for a T-34, but too short. While the large base I feel is way too wide for a T-34 but great in length and that is just looking at the T-34. So either I am going to have to order a bunch of different size bases for them or make them myself. Making them myself will make them rather inconsistent and buying them will make them look different that the infantry unless I buy similar looking bases for all of my infantry and guns as well. How do other people do it?

2023-07-23 11.11.542023-07-23 11.12.19

There seems to be a lot of stuff missing from Battlefront in my opinion.

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Warbases in Fife do a range of FoW style bases in MDF that you can buy in custom dimensions….

https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/bases/round-cornered-bases/mdf-rc/

Now they don’t have the chamfered edges of the FoW plastic ones (the edges are a normal 90 degree cut), but then that makes them easier to pick up than the FoW ones (you could even swap out the plastic infantry bases for MDF one if you want them to exactly match).

Flames of War Style MDF Bases

Hope this helps 🙂

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yes, but that also means that I am going to have to order bases for everything if I want things to look similar, not just the vehicles.

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well you could always chamfer the edges of the MDF tank bases with some sandpaper (just remember to wear a mask as MDF has some weird stuff in it). As my Dad used to say “If you can’t buy it, or you can but can’t afford it. Well….You just have to make it” 😀

Otherwise your stuck with either “wrong” sized bases for you tanks or no bases at all (should you decide not to bother).

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh and as a personal note, I got all my 15mm WW2 stuff from Skytrex. Although they are in metal (which some might not like), I see you’ve been struggling to clean up the Battle Front Siocast miniatures. You can get them in 50 figure bags (which is how I usually buy them) for £19.00, or in 10 man “squad” packs for £4.50. I personally prefer them as there’s a crazy range of variations for things like a Rifle man (I think there’s about 17 for the Russians), and for some of the support weapons you can get them in both deployed and moving poses (such as 60mm motars etc). Although some of the heavier support options don’t come with this amount of customisation (such as US .50 Cal HMGs), although these only come if the 50 figure packs if they do.

So for things like ATG crews you could get a pack of 10 gunners to replace the Siocast ones to see how you like them 🙂

Command Decision 15mm WWII

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sanding down the edges from all the bases is too much of a pain in the arse for me. I am still not sure if I want to do my tanks on bases or not. So I may be replacing all bases if I want to base my tanks unless someone has a better solution, definitely going to have a think about it.

I have had a look at Skytrex and I have no problem with metal figures apart from for my Soviets where it is not going to be easy cut the helmets and convert them to Cossack hats. On the other side, ordering from the UK is not always that easy because of Brexit. I have had contact with Skytrex over DPP options for shipping and they are working with Warlord Games to find options. Plastic Soldier Company is also an alternative I have been looking at for models as I can just order those from shops here in the EU. There is another company as well that I can easily get over here that does metal figures, but I can’t remember the name of them at the moment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)