Skip to toolbar

Toy Meets Hobby: Pokemon for the Tabletop?

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Toy Meets Hobby: Pokemon for the Tabletop?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tuffyears 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hey guys,

Something a little different. I am modifying a toy into a sort of passion painting piece. Im doing this to a standard I am comfy with. It will not be fantastic or to the best of my ability, but I thought I would do this for fun/vanity.

I love the Pokemon franchise. Some may scoff at this. Ive been playing it and loving it since I was a kid. However, I will say the cartoon was a bunch of rubbish and still is.

I bought a discounted toy and decided to modify one and see how it goes.

View post on imgur.com

I chose to work on Vaporeon, a Water Pokemon. It evolves from Eevee when Eevee is exposed to a Water Stone. Eevee can evolve into a bunch of different stuff, which is cool, due to different game mechanics. A simliar thing happens in Pokemon Go but still different.

View post on imgur.com

As you can see there are a lot of gaps, and the material is a bit of a rubbery plastic.

View post on imgur.com

There is also annoying writing that kind of breaks the fourth wall.

View post on imgur.com

All of these were to be fixed before I go further.

bigdave
    3704xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sounds interesting 🙂 was never into Pokemon myself but each to their own. Look forward to seeing your progress, as a painting project it sounds like a great idea

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I did not do too many step by step photos with time and not planning it well, but more to follow real soon. I would say that this inspired me:

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I have made a base for Vaporeon. In addition I have filled the gaps (badly, my sculpting skills arent great) and primed it grey.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  mage.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

This is what Shiny Vaporeon looks like:

View post on imgur.com

Compared to the original:

The basecoats are still being done on this guy at the moment but here is a rough idea of the direction I am going in. It still needs some more smooth layers and the basecoats will be done before moving onto washes and hilights, but will be fun all the same:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

That is interesting project. That said I do actually remember them trying having miniature game for Pokémon but it failed. No other tabletop game based on Pokémon will ever be popular like TCG is.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I never knew there was anything miniature game related. Are we talking real minis or some haphazard board game aimed at younger kids like something Hasbro would bring out?

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

It was kin to something like Heroclix with pre-painted miniatures that you bought in starter sets and blind packs but it also used trainer cards with Pokémon and IIRC it also had some trainer figures like Misty.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

That sounds like it would have been amazing.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mecha82 :

I’m assuming that it would be this game :

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24127/pokemon-trading-figure-game

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Figure_Game

It sounds stupendously complicated compared to standard trading card games.
    And I suspect that the existing pokemon figurines already made it even less likely that people would like it.

I’m guessing the target demographic being kids makes it difficult to market games, especially when you’ve got incredibly successful franchise on the gameboy. It’s probably the only franchise in the world that can afford to sell multiple versions of the same game every release. It probably makes sense to pokemon fans, but to me it doesn’t.

Anyways …

@mage : that little beasty looks great. If you had used a bit of that green stuff to create a texture across the entire model then it might helped hide the ‘crime’ a bit better.

I think there are plenty of toys out there that could be painted for use in a tabletop game.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pokemon the ultimate  age of sigmar chaos faction

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

@limburger That’s the one. I did see those sold back in day mostly in video game stores as just another Pokémon collectible figures rather than as collectible miniature game.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@limburger I will check out the rules system when I am less tired. As for the green stuff and texture the guy is supposed to be smooth. Itll be fine. As for the game and aiming it at kids, I think the problem is moreso a toy company trying to do a tabletop game; it never works out or lasts long.

@tuffyears A possibility, sounds like an awesome idea.

@limburger When was that game a thing?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think that game never was a thing, because it drowned in all of the other pokemon related stuff that was sold at that time.

I don’t think it is a problem of a toy company selling games, because some of the stuff that ‘normal’ boardgame companies create isn’t exactly of a high standard either as even after successes like ‘Settlers of Catan’ and ‘Ticket to Ride’ the vast majority of games in toy stores still is low end crap aimed at lazy parents and well meaning grandparents buying toys for kids.

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have you ever seen for heard of Pokethulhu, its a wonderfully fun game.

Pokethulhu_frontcover

https://mozai.com/writing/not_mine/Pokethulhu.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)