Skip to toolbar

Unbelievable eyes

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Unbelievable eyes

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  onlyonepinman 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

Literally….

I watched some of the latest release videos by Raging Hormones, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8p3tXOmDk and was struck by the absolutely stunning DETAIL, especially the eyes ! Three different colors in the iris alone, with separate highlights for the cornea ! I’m thinking this had to have been done under a microscope by someone whose hands are steadier than a brain  surgeon’s with a brush consisting of 1 single Sable hair.

So I emailed them and the response I got was that these images are DIGITAL (read: fake), but that I should join a Faceborg group for painting tips….

What a relief, means I’m not that bad of a painter after all…..

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wonder why they do this?
    It’s one thing to colourise your renders – at least we can see they’re not real, even if they are “inspirational” to us painters.
    That said – I do like my cuberpunk miniatures; they might just gain a subscriber for February!

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

I have their Jailbirds, some Kurganovas and a unit of Imperial Militia – the sexiest Halberdiers EVAH – they are rather fiddly to put together and I’ll never be a fan of resin in general, but they are great minis.

I might try to do eyes like in those videos on some 54 mm figures, or maybe on some Chibi figures from Russia – their eyes are HUGE….

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think they did it to make the models seem more like parts of a cartoon.  I don’t think it’s possible for most mere mortals to do that work at all.  I can just about land a pupil in the right place, and I can see that being something I can no longer do in 10 years time.

Nice models, although typical Raging Heroes there’s a huge focus on females, although they’re not quite as egregious in the pin-up styling as some other offerings.  Probably helped by the fact that you can get away with a bit more of that in Cyberpunk with the whole style over substance ethos.  Personally I still think Unit-9 are better but I might give this a go for one month.  But I definitely won’t be painting three tone eyes

Digital coloring is helpful but it not the end all be all. Thankfully, as you found, there are more people like us mere plebs than the likes of Golden Demon winners that can and will paint the levels of detail that they do.

I’ll just tinker around and keep working on jewels as my stepping stone to getting better eyes.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Painting eyes is awesome. I used to dread it; now I paint eyes almost as the first thing on a mini.
    I much prefer my minis with their eyes painted – far more than those early attempts where I just flooded the face with a flesh wash. Lyla Mev had a great video on how to paint eyes; she literally changed the way I paint my minis (for the better).

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m the opposite – I used to love it, now I dread it.  The old eyes ain’t what they used to be unfortunately.

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

I’m ok with eyes, but won’t do them on minis smaller than 25 mm.

Apply flesh color – faces usually take a no.1 brush – define the face with something like Burnt Sienna if it’s a White face, something else if it isn’t, darken the eye sockets with a dark brown to create contrast – this might be done with a size 0 or smaller – and then use 00 or 000 for the whites of the eyes and iris/pupil.

I do use a desk lamp with a daylight simulator bulb and built-in magnifying glass for painting small details like that.

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s not the colours or the method, it’s the ability of my eyes to focus.  Or rather my eye, seeing as the issue is a lazy eye, from childhood, starting to deteriorate a bit.  Depending on how my day has gone, one of my eyes simply doesn’t focus properly, making fine details difficult – even with a magnifying lamp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)