Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] 2022 is already three weeks old

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] 2022 is already three weeks old

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your β€œpledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers β€˜conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no β€œbasically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one β€˜real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Have you already discarded any new year resolution?
    • What would make you part with a game/system even though it was still popular and widely played?
    • Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yes, Friday again.

Answers:

• No, didn’t have any!
    • A massive price increase, removing “my” faction from the game or if I’m forced to reduce my hobby footprint (for what ever reason)
    • I’d say yes because there are night I can’t remember XD

Music!

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

This week’s pledge is to finish the roof of my Celtic roundhouse (yes really I will). The trouble with it taking so long is that I’m trying something new and the drying times are quite lengthy.

I’ve also got a bunch of farm animals to paint. Once that’s done my small Celtic farm will be finished and ready for the table.

Other than that I plan on playing more Core Space (which I’ll be introducing to my group tomorrow evening).

Have you already discarded any new year resolution?

I don’t really do resolutions but I haven’t had any biscuits or sweets or any snacks this year so far.

What would make you part with a game/system even though it was still popular and widely played?

Price, company shenanigans, blowing the world up (yes I’m still mad about that), something better comes along and boredom.

Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

We’ve had this question before, I’m sure, but yes, why not.

RIP Meatloaf

My pledge… to finish a previous pledge that I had left unfinished… complete my archer levy for Saga.

New Year’s resolution? That was one of those popular things years ago like Dance Dance Revolution, right? I think my only resolution was to finish an army this year. I have it purchased, thank you. There are parts to add here and there but step one is accomplished

What would make me part with a popular game system? Probably the players in my area. If the people who play are asshats there is no saving my interest to play.

Dancing with a mythical malignant entity in suboptimal lighting conditions when my coordination would likely be well impaired if I had imbibed enough to start seeing said spectre of evil? I think that would be a very bad idea to engage in a bump and grind when hallucinating no matter how enticing the twerking. Satan from Helltaker might well fall into the category of “2D girls are the best girls”… I’m sorry to say, though, she’s not real and she doesn’t love you. (sighs as this statement may be the crushing blow to many a weeb)

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge… maybe take a break. At least for a few days. I might start something later in the week if I feel like it.

Just finished some Moonstone minis.Β https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1706063/

thumbnail_IMG_7167thumbnail_IMG_7171

1. Have you already discarded any new year resolution? – I don’t do resolutions, just targets.
    2. What would make you part with a game/system even though it was still popular and widely played? – If the background of the setting didn’t grab me I’d loose interest.
    3. Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight? – I’m not allowed out after dark.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just finished some Moonstone

Those are really nice. I got the same minis with my pledge as well. They aren’t even out of their packs yet.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Have you already discarded any new year resolution?

Nah, never made one ’cause I know myself. IF anything I’d need to drink more alcohol, not less πŸ˜‰

• What would make you part with a game/system even though it was still popular and widely played?

Interesting … I haven’t thought about that one, because I never actually part with a system.
    Although I did want to abandon AD&D 2nd edition in favour of 3rd, but that was mostly due to the mechanics getting a much needed revision.

More recently I kind of discovered that I have started to dislike what 40k had become and that it’s never ever going to improve over what it is : a way to sell minis.

Or more precise … I really really disliked how the recent Genestealer Cult codex had once again shown that GW prefers to add special rules instead of fixing the core mechanics. The fact that the Ork codex didn’t feel like it was about orks played into that as well. I didn’t realise this when 8th edition was released, because I figured that with everything ‘reset’ they might clean up he worst excesses, but 9th editon has made it clear that instead they’ve doubled down on adding bloat with nary a thought to game balance. So I’m tempted to give the one page rules a chance as an alternative, because with the state that GW’s rules/codexes are in I’m not even going to miss the ‘fluff’ …

It probably won’t stop me buying models, because they still make some of the best plastic kits in the business.

• Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

I am the devil … so that would be more like

πŸ˜€

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Not sure about a pledge this weekend; got a fair bit of school and research work to keep on top of. I’m thinking of popping into a local shop on the way home to get some tufts and super glue, so maybe some more building? Can’t really prime still. Sitting at -10 here with half a metre of snow on the ground. Which reminds me; I have to shovel more of the drive when I get back to my flat…

Questions!

Have you already discarded any new year resolution?

I never bother with them. Truth be told I’m really not a fan of things that mark an extra year passing, and I have a bunch of them stacked into the winter.

What would make you part with a game/system even though it was still popular and widely played?

Cost…though I wouldn’t say that’d make me ‘part’ with it, persay. I guess I tend to leave things behind when they don’t pique my interest anymore…but I often pick them up again later on when that happens.

I’m English; I can’t dance. Even the Welsh part of me doesn’t help with the dancing bit, I think…though I guess that’s help with singing…

New Battle Beast track today, so you can have that for music!

kronosthetraveler
    Participant
    5967xp

It’s really hard to come up with a pledge since it’s hard to even find the time to paint during the week, but if I had to make anything, I’d want to finish painting three of Wargames Atlantic’s Les Grognards I got for the Great Wargaming Survey several years ago.

Have you already discarded any New Year’s resolutions?

Not really; I don’t bother making resolutions anymore since they’re impossible to keep. All I really want to do is get a bit further on the backlog

It would have to be cost, but also the community (is there a wide community and demand for playing the game? Is it easy to get together for games?) and the company itself putting out the game (GW knows that they’ve done). Other big factor is time, since it’s hard to dedicate several hours to a single game.

If I was capable of dancing without people calling the paramedics for fear I was having a seizure…

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Saturday.

For those who struggle with a pledge: keep the goal low. Read some new rules/FAQ for a game you like. Clean your desk. Write a list of stuff you need to get for a dormant project. Or simply catch up with your favourite hobby youtubers.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

the best bit in this weeks weekender : both Warzan and Free with their eyes closed and Ben striking his best ‘evil boss’ pose :

πŸ˜€

schnitzel
    Participant
    945xp

Lurker here, aka Schnitzel,

Today I sorted my hobby storage, the pledge for the weekend. The pledge for the year is doing more hobby stuff like painting and playing, less looking and buying (the vitrine is going to burst soon and to much unpainted minis will flood the room).

Too busy sorting and organizing the plastic to dance with the devil, but could be fun for the moment. Probably did it at sometime, but can not remember clearly cause of … things. Listening to Darkside via hifi:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxA687tYuMWgFdwONNw7ba8GpQfjHUJof

To tired to paint today so just a quick picture. Will watch something in this genre after that:

20220122_232806

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  schnitzel.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  schnitzel.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

You’ll be watching someone harvesting corn in an ineffective way? Weird flex πŸ˜‰ Also: displays going *bang* and shattering glas and minis everywhere is truly a horror.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

There I was … thinking that @schnitzel was for eating and not talking. πŸ˜‰

that’s either ol’ leatherface or the catcher in the rye πŸ˜€

why am I hungry now ?

//

I hope to start writing some actual code instead of yet another page of text talking about what I’m writing this week.
    Trying to make do with what little me time I can find.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve finished my Celtic farm. Pledge done, pics below (Going to assemble some of my Kickstarter Moonstone minis next).

918AFAB2-8A24-4BA8-868D-27C618A15F1DC89308C4-B3E6-4CF9-87DC-B4CC6E6DBCF73B70DDDE-3454-4907-9CB1-27C4E302F273B8240E09-4E3A-4F59-B5E3-ADB1F1F2FE8A

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)