Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] And they are off!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] And they are off!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 46 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal?
    • What hobby tool to you really want to get?
    • Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Answers:

• Either it would be the pasta machine or my DIY static grass applier. Not the tiny one but the one with 30cm diameter XD
    • I think a laser cutter. Simply for all the nice sub-structures you can make.
    • Maybe.

No music from me today just best wishes for a happy weekend.

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think this weekend I will be panting Moonstone @sundancer, lol

Questions:

What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal?

Icing Knife/Spreader

What hobby tool to you really want to get?

A slave to paint my minis or a decent paint stripper

Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight?

Only in Georgia

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

A slave to paint my minis

That doesn’t count as tool unless it’s an ex-politician.

I think this weekend I will be panting Moonstone

I will not even react to that .

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh crap. Is it Friday AGAIN?! I seem to have misplaced this past week – it’s completely passed me by. Really? Is it honestly Friday again? I’ve got about a week’s work to catch up on. See you later for answers and music videos – some of us have a backlog of other stuff to get out of the way first!

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s Friday and my day off and the postman has already brought me something.
    9860F395-411D-461F-B748-7580DBBFFE6D
    Until Free mentioned this game on last week’s XLBS I’d never really heard of this game. I went down a rabbit hole and ended up buying a copy. I guess my weekend will by learning the game and getting a few plays of it.

Miniature wise I want to finish an old 80s citadel wizard I’ve started painting, as well as start on a Peter Cushing as Frankenstein model I got recently. Both I plan to use a civilians for my Rangers of Shadow Deep games.

What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal?

I don’t really have any.

What hobby tool to you really want to get?

I’m tempted by a static grass applicator as I really like the effects it can produce. They seem expensive though.

Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight?

Only in my dark dreams when the stars a right.

A classic dinking song

One of my favourite Clannad tracks

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@demonsub – I made a grass applicator from a battery operated fly swatter and a large (metal) sieve – total cost was about £4 I think. It works surprisingly well – just disassemble the two halves of the fly swatter (with the battery removed!) and run a wire from one side to the metal frame on the seive, and another to the other half (I keep this loose and wrapped the end of the wire around a small nail).

Then use as you would any static applicator – put the nail into the puddle of PVA glue you’ve put down, put the static grass into the seive, and hold down the “zap” button while you shake the grass out.

It works brilliantly (the only thing is, a couple of times, I’ve been a bit vigorous shaking the sieve end and accidentally touched my other hand with the metal frame – most times it’s fine but occaisionally I’ve been holding the nail down into the PVA with my free hand -and that does give you quite a shock!)

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 Billiant. I’m going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

friday again ?
    Time flies when you’re having fun, am I rite ? 😉

1) What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal?
    no strange tools in my arsenal, except maybe me ?

2) What hobby tool to you really want to get?
    a 3D printer would be on my wish list …

3) Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight?
    I am the Devil … so that’d be dancing with myself ? 😉

Feels good to have the Weekender back again doesn’t it ?
    My wallet was grumbling because of the “indie of the week”. So glad that most of the content is ‘free’ (although I do find myself wanting those hardcopy rules and supplements).

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger

Woah-oh-oh-oh. Woah-oh-oh-oh.

(p.s.3d printer is a great idea)

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal? A converted jigsaw-come-paint-shaker? A robotic joystick-controlled painting stand? I imagine not many people have a cnc router or a laser cutter? Though despite all that, I reckon it’s my homemade hot wire pen engraving tool.
    • What hobby tool to you really want to get? A “clicker” die press is more of an industrial tool than a bit of hobby kit but I’d love to be able to churn out die-cut shapes
    • Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight? I don’t do dancing. He can do what he likes, I’d be the one skulking in the shadows, trying to look cool and disinterested (while inside secretly envious of everyone who has the nerve to get up on the dancefloor, whether they have the moves or not).

Pledge – I’m coding again. I got my play-over-the-internet game working really well so the obvious thing to do is to re-write it from the ground up, right? Actually, it probably is – to turn my mass of spaghetti code into something that can be easily duplicated and modified for other game types. So my pledge is to get at least a working framework finish before next weekend. I *might* finish off my Scooby Doo and Shaggy miniatures and put them onto a diorama, but I’m not promising anything!

I think the Wildhearts are my all-time favourite band, so here’s some awesome music for you.

In other news – is it still raining out there? I’ve given up waiting for the nice warm summer sun. It’s been weeks and weeks since we had any really nice warm weather down here on the south coast of the UK. My wife and I went swimming in the sea the other day, just because…. well, because we’re sick of waiting for it to be nice. It was f@*king freezing! And not particularly pleasant drying off on the beach, under a cold, grey sky either. And the cafe was shut, so we couldn’t even have a nice warm coffee. Anyone else still waiting for summer to start properly?

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465

(use Google translate for those lyrics … 😉 )

I know 3D printers are a great tool … I just got other priorities to complete before I can afford one.
    (and I’m hoping there is a new generation that is even better and faster when I do)

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Another weekend already upon us? It’s been a bugger of a week so this weekend I’m going to try and focus on hobby. Pledge is to do most of the work on some Imperial Fists and a hover tank thing for them that were donated for a charity raffle I’m running in a couple of weeks. They are being painted to match another donation but I don’t have those models in hand so doing it all from a photo… nothing like a challenge when you are short on time ?

Questions:

1) I don’t think I really have any. Just the usual stuff hobbyists have.

2) I’ve spent the day using my very cheap airbrush + compressor which, while good for getting paint on in ways I couldn’t with a brush, isn’t great quality and definitely takes more time than it should to do a job. Sadly a proper set up is beyond my means but a girl can dream.

3) I’ve got bad knees, dancing isn’t advised.

My musical offering this weekend

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

Last weeks pledge never happened. I’ve been trying something new for a project I hope to put into the project system later today. Project here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1660768/

This weeks pledge will be to continue with my new project. I’m experimenting with a new technique and its messy and fiddley so hard to make progress. Hopefully I’ll crack it.

1. What is the most unusual tool in your hobby arsenal? – I guess 3D printers are still relatively rare, though perhaps not unusual these days.
    2. What hobby tool to you really want to get? – I should really get into using an airbrush.
    3. Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale of the moonlight? – I’m not a night person.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Gold leaves…. now we’re getting fancy 😉 Interesting non the less…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)