Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Don't panic, stay inside, do your backlog of minis

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Don't panic, stay inside, do your backlog of minis

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 43 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. Are you well?
    2. Are you still working or send home?
    3. What miniature game would you like to have a good video game representation of?

Shameless self plug: Don’t forget to join me on the unofficial (but sanctioned) hobby hangout.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member
    1. Hay fever but that’s about it
    2. still all normal (in relative terms)
    3. Most of them. But currently I’d be scratching that it with Wartile.

flatbattery
    8265xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. Got a mild cold which I’ve had for a couple of weeks (no cough or fever), otherwise I’m fine.

2. Work at a college in the UK so this is my last day at work until further notice.

3. I think most you could say have been covered, not all directly of course. I wouldn’t mind one set in the Infinity universe though.

Will still have work to do at home, but there will be a lot of spare time to be had, so I plan to attack the pile of shame at least one or two hours a day. Should put a small dent in it. I don’t do well at batch painting so I think I’ll bounce around my collection to relieve any monotony. Hopefully I’ll stick to it and possibly get some pics up.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

No pledges? I’ll get onto that in a min…

1. all fine here – the wife and I are avoiding people wherever possible!

2. just about scraping by but work has dried up really quickly (I’m currently working with a company supporting the tourist industry so us freelancers were the first to be asked to “self-isolate”). I *can* work from home – it’s just the work has dried up!

3. Laser Squad. I’ve not seen a decent one yet, so am working on one myself. Stay tuned….

Before everything kicked off, I informed my wife that I would be going away for a weekend, to a miniature painting workshop. She attends art classes and says she always works better in company; not necessarily because of the instruction, but simply being around like-minded people. I thought it sounded like a great idea for miniature painting.

I asked at my local game store – Dice Saloon in Brighton – and after their change of premises, painting sessions is something they’re looking at starting up. In the meantime, I thought I’d book myself onto one of the Seige Studio courses.

Of course, all that is on the back burner now. But my wife’s art tutor has started running “virtual classes” – where artists are set a project, send in photos, get instruction (where necessary) from the tutor, and once a week have a conference video call. It sounds like a really nice idea.

In fact, if there’s one thing that’d get me painting again, it’d be being part of a herd,  and getting actual instruction (rather than posting photos onto a forum and have half the viewers just say “awesome, man” and the others “thin your paints”)  what I’d like is someone to explain where to put highlights and why, suggestions on how to improve with specific techniques etc, not just an overall critique of the model. I’d like personalised instruction, but to also feel I was part of a “class” so we could collectively work on similar techniques, paint similar models, share ideas etc.

That’s my pledge.

I’m going to find an online painting tutor. I may fail. But wouldn’t it be awesome if the hunt proved successful? Anyone else interested?

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m going to find an online painting tutor. I may fail. But wouldn’t it be awesome if the hunt proved successful? Anyone else interested?

Count me in…. as long as it doesn’t get to expensive

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I didn’t want to take over the weekly chat-about-everything thread and have the pros and cons of online painting tutorial swamp everything (there’s plenty other stuff going on to chat about) so made a new thread here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/online-painting-classes-anyone/

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

YOU TOOK MA THREAD! 😉

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok. Let’s get it back on track.

For example, can someone please clarify: International Palm-Lick-Handshake Day, has it been cancelled this year, or just postponed ’til after the summer?

horus500
    11505xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. Fighting Fit

2. My job can’t be done from home

3. My favourites are the Total War series and Fallout 3. Both are well covered

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

So, just over two hours into “working from home” and I got distracted. In a good way, I guess. I tried some rattle-can zenith highlighting (my airbrush just splutters and spits all over my minis, so tried with some Halfords matt primer)

Image1b

I base-coated with Halfords matt black primer, then – thanks to suggestions on the previous thread – hit them at just higher than horizontal with grey, then gave them a blast from above with matt white.

The effect isn’t so great on the soldier-looking guy, but is really effective on the suit-guy. The highlights on the woman look good too, but the photo came out a bit blurry. Sure, it’s a bit speckly in places, but I’m guessing that will be lessened once I’ve put some colours over the top…

(yep, I got all artistic and made a montage-type photo for you. Working from home is going *that* well).

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

1) Temperature,  headache and tight chest.

2 ) in quarantine because of above, but at moment should still  in work.

3) Most of stuff into generally has a video game, though a game based on the movie ‘Them’ would be fun, have home grown table top rules.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is the next chapter of tainted grail (8? – lost track), paint my Skaven gnawholes, and pick something to start from the spring clean challenge.

Questions of the week:

1. Are you well? – Bad exzema on my hands from all the washing, but otherwise my family and I are good.
    2. Are you still working or send home? – My boss an I are taking turns to work from home while the other stays in work to manage the company.
    3. What miniature game would you like to have a good video game representation of? – Was about to say Battlefleet Gothic, but then remembered there are already two. I think they’re all covered these days.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

@bobcockayne  “Them”? can’t seem to remember that… or did you mean “they live”?

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Them is the film with the giant ants

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

I thought that was “It came from the dessert”? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)