Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Finish it!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Finish it!

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Are you planing to get into TerrainFest2023? If yes, what’s your plan?
    • Or are you more inclined to trying your hand on OrkTober?
    • Do you even care for such “timed events”?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge:

Get some stuff done. Ork, Star Wars, Frostgrave… make *something* disappear from the workplate!

My Answers:

• Yes. Either the recently acquired Frostgrave terrain or maybe some dusty old terrain piece that stares at me from the past!
    • Maybe as a project in between terrain sessions
    • Sometimes yes. If the theme catches me it gives me some needed push to finally get things done. At least sometimes.

Music! For Adults!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9574xp

I need to build more terrain, but only if I make it modular and easily stored. Doubt I’ll Terrainfest though.

No interest in orcs or orktober.

Timed events not my thing. “Time is an illusion… lunchtimes doubly so!”

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Sunday et all…

Looking forward to @brennon wild west terrain and @warzan historically accurate burned pieces of wood. I’m still undecided but then again best decisions are made last minute. Or so they say. Who ever they might be.

Hope to see you lot tomorrow 😉

gorram
    2589xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s been a while since I took part in one of these. No hobby time this weekend for me but I’ll make a pledge for the week; clean all the feegles and paint the vampires I have on the paint table. I also need to reread the Armada rules and build a list for next weekend.

Questions 1 and 2 roll into each other for me. I picked me Orktober project back in July and have been planning it since. It happens to be a terrain based project so I guess I’m now taking part in both.

Question 3 is an interesting one. In terms of community based timed events, not really. I try but I’m very prone to losing interest when something else catches my eye. Having said that, I set myself timed goals fairly often as a way to focus my brain goblins when I have too many projects started and find myself stalling on progress. The reason my Orktober project was put off by a few months was so it could have breathing room from the other projects surrounding me.

For music, my ticket to see Battle Beast came through the door this week. As I found them through a Weekender thread, it seems fitting to celebrate them here now

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions 1 and 2 roll into each other for me. I picked me Orktober project back in July and have been planning it since. It happens to be a terrain based project so I guess I’m now taking part in both.

That’s a lucky concidinc… or is it?

As I found them through a Weekender thread, it seems fitting to celebrate them here now

I’m pretty sure there is a @horati0nosebl0wer to be blamed for that XD

It is Monday and I’m in  a weird mental state of “fit” and “very tired”. Coffee seems to help a bit but over all I could use a break. Still contemplating over things to do for October.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m in a bit of a funny mood too, @sundancer – I decided it’s time to reconnect with the hobby (had a few things going on of late and not really much hobby-time to myself) and have been super-excited; I printed some space marine proxies, tried out four or five different styles of painting and generally just had a lovely time trying out some different ideas in a relaxed, stress-free doesn’t-matter-if-it-doesn’t-work kind of way.

Some things worked, some things didn’t. Most of them will get thrown in the bin. That’s fine. In fact, maybe I need to do this more often – throw away minis that haven’t worked and keep the ones I like, instead of having a shelf of mixed-quality models in various states of completion. At least I know a project is “properly finished” when it goes in the bin!

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

Getting rid of things definitely is something I’m very *very* bad at. But I guess that’s also because I do not buy every shiny I see and I’m definitely not making “printer go BRRRRRRR” for minis. So when something finds its way into my den it usually stays here.

Maybe that needs to change at some time.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

My printer is going BRRRRR again – and it’s brilliant.
    Honestly, it’s completely changed my approach to painting minis. Now, even as I take them off the build plate, I might be thinking “some of you are not going to make it”. And it’s great!

I usually print 6-8 minis at a time. I used to try to “make them all count”. I’d pick my favourite six or eight characters, drop them on the build plate, print them out – and then each one mattered; I didn’t want to mess them up (after the discussion this week about preparing miniatures for printing, some of you might understand that spending an hour or more preparing files for printing means I’d either have to reprint an entire plate if anything went wrong, or just not mess anything up in the first place!)

But this time, I just printed eight very similar-looking Space Marine proxies.
    They all looked pretty good – I didn’t care if any of them got messed up because the plan was always to print another set of marines and paint and keep just five of them.

That gave me eight to try stuff out on, then another eight to actually paint in the style I decided to use, and even then – like the proverbial baker’s dozen – I had spares in case anything went wrong.

It’s been totally liberating to treat my minis as “disposable”.
    But it’s exactly what happens in just about any other art form.
    My wife loves pottery. But not every lump of clay is going to make it into a plate or a bowl or a mug. And she’s fine with that.
    Not every canvas she paints is going to end up on the wall. Some get painted over – some get thrown out.
    And she doesn’t give it a second thought.

I started doing the same with my minis. And now, neither do I.
    It’s sooooo cathartic to take an unfinished mini, and drop it in the bin, with the thought “well you didn’t work out, but now you’re no longer cluttering up the place”.

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

If one has a printer that’s a valid option.

If not: buying with more thought about the future helps a lot.

It’s Wednesday my dudes and as always I am tired after a short night that followed the uHH. I hope the winds in Ireland today are not to bad.

Also I have a stunning idea for the Secret Satan. At least I think it’s stunning XD

danlee
    22395xp
    Cult of Games Member

How did it get to Thursday again before I remembered to join this weekly thread?

Anyway – just finished another model: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1794968/

IMG_0474

• Are you planing to get into TerrainFest2023? If yes, what’s your plan? – Not really. I have enough going on and since I don’t play these days terrain would just take up space.
    • Or are you more inclined to trying your hand on OrkTober? – Maybe if I see an Ork model I like.
    • Do you even care for such “timed events”? – Sometimes, but I tend to have year long projects on the go which keep me busy.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh, yeah – questions! It’s Thursday. There’ll probably be more along before too long. So here we go….

Are you planing to get into TerrainFest2023? If yes, what’s your plan?

Not really. If you’d asked a few weeks ago, I might have said “yeah, go on then”. But I just started painting little men again, and don’t need another distraction or excuse to leave them, half-finished on a shelf somewhere (or, as is my current enthusiasm for “getting stuff done” chucking them in the bin because they’re not finished!)

Or are you more inclined to trying your hand on OrkTober?

I just might. Printer goes brrrrrrr. Orks come out. Slapchop and Army Painter Speed Paints – it was the Miniature Hobbyist (https://www.youtube.com/@MiniatureHobbyist) and his slapchopped orcs that got me excited about painting minis again. I’ve got a load of Mr Modulork STLs on a hard drive somewhere…. I might just take some inspiration from my Youtube “hero”.

Do you even care for such “timed events”?

Yes. Mostly they come and go, but in the main, they sometimes inspire me to have a go at something that I would otherwise keep adding to my mental “to-do-one-day” list. If it wasn’t Orktober, I probably wouldn’t even be considering painting some orks. Now, I’m thinking I quite fancy the idea of having half a dozen or so space orks to use in a Kill Team/Space Hulk type game.

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

How did it get to Thursday again before I remembered to join this weekly thread?

Beats me! I barely remember to put up a new one at times XD. Nice looking stompy bot @danlee  but I feel the sculptor should have added some kind of guns on top of the flat parts on the shoulders 8)

Slapchop and Army Painter Speed Paints

If you want a more vibrant classic 90s look just prime them white and use Speed Paints as is. It’ll blow the lid off 8)

It is Friday. Not going to be able to watch the weekender tonight as some work has popped up and so it’ll be late tomorrow for a new thread.

Back to work now.

gorram
    2589xp
    Cult of Games Member

Somehow a week has gone by??? Don’t know how that happened, I swear Tuesday was just yesterday. I had a bereavement this week and it’s really thrown me. This is the first day I’ve felt like doing anything and I already know that there will be a lot of tidying – it’s one of the ways my brain copes with my utter lack of control in the universe.

With that in mind, I didn’t get last weekend’s pledge done but this weekend’s is a bit easier – tidy my desk, clear away all other projects for a month, and start pulling together the bits I’ve been gathering for Orktober into one place. I have a new bookcase arriving tomorrow so there will also be a lot of re-organising my books this weekend.

My printer has also been going brrrrr. I’m still new enough to 3D printing that it still feels like magic to switch it on and come back hours later to models I’d never find in a shop. The pile of unpainted is still small enough that it fits in one little tub so I don’t feel bad about it. Not sure how I’ll feel about it once it grows though… ask me at Christmas!

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

@gorram  when the big (bath)tub is full with minis it might be too late 😉

As promised: New thread!

[unofficial weekender] Spray it all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)