Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Growing old != growing up

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Growing old != growing up

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 66 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  beccas 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. Are you growing up or just getting older?
    2. Your birthday: do you care for it or is it just another day?
    3. Do you treat yourself to something special for your birthday or can’t you be bothered?

Enjoy!

Bonus question: Have you started growing horizontally? 😉

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member
    1. Just getting older… stopped growing up at around 17/18
    2. Let me put it this way: SSDD
    3. Yes, usually ahead of time if I find something nice that’s on sale

Bonus answer: maybe.

laughingboy
    20672xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. Never grown up and to be honest never feel older, hit 40 last year and honestly feel young… I put it down to kids they keep you young and childish.

2. Just another day but it is often spent doing something nice with the family.

3. Sometimes I will use the excuse of a birthday to pick something up but let’s face it I do this throughout the year.

Anonymous
    0xp

Pledge… don’t know, really.  I’m sure i’ll paint something, so paint something is a good enough pledge.

1. I stopped growing up at about 15… shame as I want to be 6 foot (182cm)!

2. Not really bothered – there is a yearly argument with family why they wasted money buying a card.

3. I did go to the 40k weekend last year, which happened to be on the same day as my birthday – i treated myself to lots of toy soldiers.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s the Weeee … ender time 🙂

1) Are you growing up or just getting older?
    I’m noticing a few grey hairs … so I guess I must be getting older.

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw(*)

2) Your birthday: do you care for it or is it just another day?
    It’s just another day. Then again … a birth day that’s in the big school summer holiday never felt like a birthday anyway.
    So I guess that migth be why I never really cared.

3) Do you treat yourself to something special for your birthday or can’t you be bothered?
    I treat myself to something special practically every time I go shopping for toysoldiers … so why wait for a random day in the year to do so ?

And with webshops + creditcard I don’t even need to see other people … the downside is that you don’t get that same sense of exploration and discovery from browsing a webshop.

(*)(at least that’s who Google says said it first … )

No music ?

First the plastic …

German Country & Western something …

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. I don’t feel any more grown up as I’ve got older. All that has changed is the amount of responsibility – it seems like you become an ‘adult’ when everyone else’s bullshit alarm has failed. You’ll seriously let me buy a house?! 

2. After having successive years of having really shitty work occur on my birthday, I’ve taken to booking the time off. Not to necessarily do anything special, but to just not be working.

3. Perhaps if something catches my eye, but I don’t consciously use my birthday as an excuse for more treats.

Pledge is to keep working on this lot – more Napoleonic British:

20200703_183558

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

Are you growing up or just getting older?

It feels like just older every day. Learning new things every day. Like there comes a time when you have to *take care putting your socks on*. Bracing yourself before a big sneeze – when did that become necessary?!

Your birthday: do you care for it or is it just another day?

I care nothing for it. But only because most days it feels like my birthday. Honestly, some days the postie knocks on my door and I can’t believe it’s not my birthday. It’s only the lack of birthday cards with blue five pound notes in them that give the game away.

Do you treat yourself to something special for your birthday or can’t you be bothered?
    Always. Because my wife likes to make a fuss. So we always make it a special day.

So what’ve all been up to? I got distracted (again)

batman_hulk

I’ve given myself until Monday to get my DOTT diorama finished and app coded up (it’s growing into much more than just a battle-royale type game now; I’ve even added character inventory, so you can carry different weapons, change weapons, find and collect goodies….)

Pledge – by next Friday, I’m pledging to paint a couple of super heroes, finish my diorama, and invite a few other people to join in with my over-the-net play-by-app game. It sounds like a lot right now (especially since there’s also real life to be getting on with inbetween bursts of nerding out) but sometimes you need to push yourself, right?

Music:

Saw these guys live, mid-90s. Sure, the look like a cheesy mid-90s rock band (which is exactly what they were). But they were amazing, live. I think I need to spend less time at jam nights pretending I’m in a band, and go see the real thing more often, like I did as a young wannabe-grown-up!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Huzza! Hobbytime! Forum is back online, project is updated. Now to clean the brushes and then watch the weekender!

I think these need glitter:

IMG_20200703_211629921

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

So my new toys are STILL not here… A little grumpy at that, to be honest. So I guess for a pledge I’ll do something, maybe? Kind of hoped to be painting some new toys, but we’ll see what I get up to until then…

1. Definitely depends on my mood, but usually I just feel old. That’s what happens when all of your contemporaries at uni are 1 years younger that you…

2. I absolutely hate it and try to get everyone around me to not even acknowledge it. Never works…

3. I usually don’t bother. If I feel like it I usually buy some nice alcohol.

@scribbs Liking the look of the Napoleonics there! Officer looks great.

@blinky465 Manbat and the Credible Hulk are looking super (get it?)!

@sundancer Glittery bases? Maybe they live inside a giant geode? Quartz is fairly glittery, after all, and comes in most colours.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  crazyredcoat.

Anonymous
    0xp

My hobby this evening has been varnishing, priming and building.  Will do the paint something tomorrow.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to paint up some of these models:

1BEC4C90-2F44-4BCE-B632-0D173ECBF843

They are the nymph models from the Aeon Trespass kickstarter.

1. Are you growing up or just getting older? – Just getting older.
    2. Your birthday: do you care for it or is it just another day? – I treat myself to a purchase and celebrate for the kids really.
    3. Do you treat yourself to something special for your birthday or can’t you be bothered? – I’ll treat myself to a nice model or similar.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to paint up some of these models:

1BEC4C90-2F44-4BCE-B632-0D173ECBF843

They are the nymph models from the Aeon Trespass kickstarter.

1. Are you growing up or just getting older? – Just getting older.
    2. Your birthday: do you care for it or is it just another day? – I treat myself to a purchase and celebrate for the kids really.
    3. Do you treat yourself to something special for your birthday or can’t you be bothered? – I’ll treat myself to a nice model or similar.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat  I wasn’t talking about the bases *maniacal laughter*

boredsnores
    Participant
    3789xp

Wooohooo weekend!

Definately getting older, not growing up. What laughing boy said about kids is very true! Especially when it gives you an excuse to break out all the old toys (action man I’m looking at you)

terms of birthdays mine lands on Valentine’s Day so it’s pretty much a normal day but the wife does make a fuss. I’m also very lucky in terms of treating myself if there is something I really want.

pledge wise some pendraken samurai arrived with mr postie yesterday so I need to prep them and work out my plans.

boredsnores
    Participant
    3789xp

And in terms of music (mrs has a meta ban until the pm)

Keeps me humming along in the morning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)