Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Hang in there!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Hang in there!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  danlee 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter?
    • Does the lack of sunlight affect you?
    • Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

No pledge other then: more skyrim!

Answers:

• I’m 90% inside so I usually don’t care as long as it doesn’t get too hot
    • BRIGHT EVIL DAYSTAR! *hissssss*
    • No, don’t think so. But on the other hand it also takes me a while to realize I’m getting “dark mooded” again so maybe I just don’t notice?

And for all who are wondering: Still haven’t got the notice that I’ve won the 100k sub contest 😉

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well this week’s pledge is to do last week’s pledge. This week has been a write off as an insect bit I received on the weekend became infected and I’ve ended up being in and out of hospital all week. When I’m home I don’t feel like painting with a canular in my arm!

1. Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter?  – I’m not fussed by the season or sunlight levels in general.
    2. Does the lack of sunlight affect you? – See above.
    3. Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you? – Not something I experience.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

What kind of insect bit you? oO Hope you’re getting better soon.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday. The weeks really do fly fast don’t they.

My pledge is to continue painting more Northumbrian Tin Soldiers. I finished one of them from last week and I’m around half way through another. I’m really tempted to get more and build a new Frostgrave warband.

Game wise our little 4 man gaming group is down to just myself and one other friend this Saturday, so he’s bringing Warhammer Underworlds for me to try. I’ll play it, and probably enjoy it, but by no means will I by into it. I’ve got far to many other games I’m already working on.

Also I want to play another solo game of Five Parsecs, possibly on Sunday (after XLBS of course).

Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter?

I prefer Spring & Autumn, not too hot or cold, the Goldilocks zone.

Does the lack of sunlight affect you?

Not really. It does make it harder getting up for work as it’s still dark when my alarm goes at 5am but that’s all.

Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you?

Never been affected by this at all.

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Happy Friday OTTers!

What bit you @danlee??? Coming from the privileged position of living in a country where pretty much none of our native species can you do you any harm at all, it is always horrifying to me to hear of people being hospitalised because of insect bites etc.

Questions:

• Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter? I’m a Spring and Autumn person. I like the world when it is beginning to go into hibernation or starting to come out of it. I live in Scotland though so it is less about the weather and more about how the trees look
    • Does the lack of sunlight affect you? Sadly, yes. I wish it didn’t. Winter up here is 6 hours of daylight and it gets me every year.
    • Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you? Yup yup yup. I try to be pretty open about it. My dad suffered without being open about it and the addition damage that caused him has forced me to address the trait in myself.

Pledge for the weekend is to put some models together and work on finishing my Judge Dredd judges. They’ve been primed and with one base colour down for months, a day of painting would probably finish the lot of them. I’m also doing my 24 hour gaming stream for charity this weekend so having something easy to paint afterwards will be a nice wind down.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m not sure what bit me. I recall feeling an itch on my shin, scratching it, and it drawing a drop of blood. I never saw the insect. The doctors tell me it could have been a spider or horsefly. As I was wearing trousers I suspect a spider climbed up my leg.

And I didn’t think my country had anything with a dangerous bite either @ninjilly, but this happened to me in the midlands of the UK. We may not have any toxic animals or insects but it turns out you can get a bad infection from a lot of them.

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

hahaha @danlee there you, you learn something new every day and now I live more fearfully in our already troubled country!

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

it’s the weeee weekender 😀

1. Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter?
      What are these things called seasons ? I thought we had abandoned them just like we abandoned mentioning what year it is since this thing started. It’s still 2019, right ? Not sure if winter has begun at all.
    2. Does the lack of sunlight affect you?
      Not really.
      Although it is kind of annoying to wake up in the dark … adjust to that and then wake up in daylight because ‘daylight savings’ started.
    3. Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you?
      I don’t need weather to make me a miserable git … I can do that without help 😉
      Just don’t try and talk to me before noon and you may survive.
      Preferably don’t talk to me after noon either …

Picking up my ork bits tomorrow, because postie had to deliver it to a shop that closes at 16:00 … on the day that shops are open ’til 20:00 – 21:00 …
    oh well.
    Also need to see if I can do something with the really useful box idea that I had.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

O’cs O’cs O’cs O’cs O’cs

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge – to get out more. Yes, I know the infected still live amongst us – and I’ve been lucky to date as I’m only half-sure I caught something before the global outbreak and managed to stay out of trouble since – but I think it’s time to meet some real people in real life.

Since it’s getting “the dark season” on our side of the planet: are you more a spring summer type or autumn winter?

I’m definitely a spring-kind of person. I quite like the autumn. The smells and the early morning mist makes me reminiscent for the times we lived on our narrowboat (autumn is just magical on the canals!). I’m not great in the heat, but I do love swimming in the sea and prancing about on the beach with an oat latte when the sun is out, so I quite like summer too. And there’s something a bit “daring” about being out in the dark, in a city – winter makes me feel young and cool and a bit edgy (though the persistent freezing damp that lives in your feet from about November onwards tends to remind you of your actual age).

But Spring is the best – everywhere starting to wake up again, and the promise of yet another brilliant year to come. If I could only have one season, I’d pick spring. But if I had a choice, I think I’d keep them almost exactly as they are.

Not really. It used to, when I worked in an office and had to drive for 90 minutes to get to work – I’d leave the house in the dark, I’d get into the car to drive home in the dark, I hardly ever saw the sun. But working from home means I make time to go out during the day, no matter what the season (or the weather!)

Do you tend to be depressive and without energy in the dark times of year? If so how do you communicate that to others and let them help you?

I’m not that affected by the darker seasons – more by the weather. If it’s cold and wet, and I’m housebound for the whole day, I might get a bit grounchy by about day three. Any lack of energy can usually be fixed by going for a walk (and getting a coffee).

And now, I’m off to finish painting those two space marines I started the other day when I found a couple of part-assembled plastics under my painting table. And the Pop Minis He-Man set I printed a couple of weeks back. And the Scooby Doo gang I thought would be a quick-and-easy afternoon’s painting. And the muscle-bound “space-nam” gang I printed a while back. And those cyberpunk corp types…… and those……

Here’s your music. I was going to say “of course, it’s yet more 80’s hair metal” – except looking at the release date of the album, this one’s from 1991. But you get the idea…

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Well I now have a Reading Week, so I have a BIT more time to myself, so I might get started on my Stark Outrider I have primed. I’ve not been very productive with school work this week…lost half the week because I had a cough and wasn’t allowed to come into the buildings…which was fun. One upside, though, was that I finally got to say to a room of people ‘reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated’, so there’s that! Sorry about missing last week’s festivities.

Deep, dark winter for me. Give me cold, snow, and long nights any day of the week!

Not really. While I’ve only dealt with the Midnight Sun for 5 days north of the Arctic circle, I honestly think I’d prefer the no daylight winters up there to the no nighttime summers.

Oh I don’t even notice that mess being connected to a certain time of year, if I’m honest. Anxiety and existential dread AHOY! 😛

Have some music…

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning. It’s Saturday and I played Skyrim all night…. next up: helping daughter prepare for tests in school and then maybe the weekender.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

Kromlech order is in … got my socks, cap and various orky-bits and models. Budget was stretched a bit, but it’s all for the good cause, right ?

And it’s not like there’s anyone who can complain about my spending habits except me 😀

Not sure in what order I will build and assemble stuff, but we’ll see if I can get something Orky done before Orktober ends.
    It’s good to see that they included instructions on handling resin (more detailed than Warlord’s … )

Assembling the models themselves is a bit of a 3D puzzle. For all the complaints against GW that’s one thing they do perfect.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah it’s a bit weird assembling them. Especially with no guide to go XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)