Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Minis, Let's Plays and Battletech

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Minis, Let's Plays and Battletech

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Alternative minis: If a game is meant to be played with specific models (like Warhammer and Battletech or Star Wars: Legion) how often do you find yourself replacing ‘official’ models with alternative skulpts?
    • Do “Lets Play” videos have an effect on you when it comes to making decisions on purchasing games?
    • Battletech: Alpha Strike or Classic? Which do you prefer?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: uuuuum… clean up some more… I guess. XD

Answers:

• Tricky one. In games like Battletech the model is a key identifier. Something that “counts as” is hard to pull of I think. I think I’m ok with alternative models/sculpts as long as I can really tell: yeah that’s a stormtrooper, that’s a chaos space marine.
    • Only if I already have an interest in buying said game in the first place.
    • Classic as I have yet to play a game of Alpha Strike.

Because it’s running late, some slow tunes:

templar007
    52364xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge:

I’m assembling ‘City State’ miniatures from Para Bellum’s ‘Last Argument of Kings’.  Great miniatures!  Doing this at the same time as the OTT team are posting VLOGs on the subject feels nifty and a bit like I’m an unauthorized OTT team member.  Analysing every word my Hobby Coaches Gerry and John say and post.  Here’s hoping I can keep up.

Questions:

1. Alternative minis: If a game is meant to be played with specific models (like Warhammer and Battletech or Star Wars: Legion) how often do you find yourself replacing ‘official’ models with alternative skulpts?                 Answer: I usually like to stay with the ‘correct minis’.  I’m not against others using alternative minis but I generally want to know I’m playing a certain game the way it was designed.  Also, I don’t like having to explain what my minis are supposed to be in relation to a certain game context.  But mostly, when I was growing up we never had anything that was mainstream or name brand.  I dislike he feeling of too poor to have the right stuff.  But, I do still like to mod minis and sometimes completely chang one out for what I think is a cooler version.  I would never take said mini to a contest event where only company brand ‘A’ was to be used.!
    2. Do “Lets Play” videos have an effect on you when it comes to making decisions on purchasing games?          Answer: YES!!!  I love to see a game played, first before I buy it.  Also, I really prefer watching the ‘Lets Plays’ where the players are truly in the form of teachers of the game and not “I’m here to kick that person’s butt”.  Game-Teachers don’t just play but show alt forms of a move or action.  I love seeing all the “What IFs”.
    3. Battletech: Alpha Strike or Classic? Which do you prefer?                                                                                         Answer: Classic!!!  As in 1980’s style. We mixed Battletech, MechWarrior, and Aerospace.  All my minis were lead or some type of metal.  Sadly, I don’t think any of my mechs are still in my collection anymore.

ced1106
    Participant
    6221xp

Alternative minis: Strongly prefer to play with proprietary mini’s *if* I play the game, but that means I play agnostic rulesets instead! Since I mostly play generic fantasy, this works fine. Currently playing the still unreleased Lasting Tales with a friend, and it’s great that I finally can use the mini’s and terrain I’ve sunk way too much money into. So, no, while I have some GW games, they’re pretty much unplayed.

“Lets Play” videos: Not much of a video watcher, since I started gaming long before videos. Written reviews I can scan and find information at my pace, not the presenter’s. I’ve played so many dice-based combat games and RPGs that if I see dice in the components, I usually pass on the game unless it’s free and has other requirements I have for a game. (eg. Solo support, miniatures agnostic, campaign events, etc.)

While I have closets full of boardgames (and miniatures), I don’t need more than one miniature skirmish game until I’ve exhausted the content of the current one I’m playing.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ced1106  playing an unreleased game? How is that possible! If it’s not released you can’t have it! XD

Happy Saturday all. Currently the laundry is being done, coffee made and I’ll have a short break from chores and watch the Mandalorian with my daughter.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

I will use what alternatives I need to padout an army as I only do friendly games… that’s how I plan of expanding Marvel Cripes-it-is-expensive Protocol.

If an alternate looks better (and doesn’t cost more) then I’d consider buying it if needed.

Lets play videos are as likely to put me off games and make me buy them. I mostly watch videos of games I’m interested in (whether official or unofficial video) and the lets play can make the buy/not buy decision for me.

Never played Battletech. I bought City Tech decades ago and the book-keeping required to play put me off.

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to paint some more Raging Heroes prints.

1. Alternative minis: If a game is meant to be played with specific models (like Warhammer and Battletech or Star Wars: Legion) how often do you find yourself replacing ‘official’ models with alternative sculpts? – These days I’d happily swap any miniature as long as it still identifiable as the intended unit.
    2. Do “Lets Play” videos have an effect on you when it comes to making decisions on purchasing games? – I rarely buy into new games, but a let’s play would help me make a decision.
    3. Battletech: Alpha Strike or Classic? Which do you prefer? – I only ever played the classic game once back when I was at Uni (i.e. around 2004). I liked it but never got into it.

I finished painting another Raging Heroes print yesterday. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1794968/

thumbnail_IMG_9248

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge:

I fulfilled my last weekend’s pledge by posting a new project: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1806509

This week, to keep the momentum and I’ll pledge to post at least one update.

Questions:

> Alternative minis

I’m very much “minies first”, meaning also that I tend to pick the games I get into by their miniatures.

> Do “Lets Play” videos have an effect on you when it comes to making decisions on purchasing games?

It’s been quite long time since I purchased a game. I would say I’m more likely to buy a game and watch a “Let’s play” afterwords to help learn it quicker.

> Battletech: Alpha Strike or Classic? Which do you prefer?

No experience with Battletech, new or old.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Alternative minis: If a game is meant to be played with specific models (like Warhammer and Battletech or Star Wars: Legion) how often do you find yourself replacing ‘official’ models with alternative sculpts?

All the time. Especially anything Star Wars related (though I mostly play “generic” (OPR-type) games on the odd occasion I do actually play anything tabletop-y). Though Space Hulk still gets an outing (at least the map sections do, my space marines are often replaced entirely with homebrew proxies and the rules are unrecognisable!). I haven’t amassed gigabytes of STLs just to use “official” minis only!

• Do “Lets Play” videos have an effect on you when it comes to making decisions on purchasing games?

Absolutely. I’ve only bought a few games “on a whim” and have been disappointed whenever I did (looking at you Dreadball). I don’t go for pre-releases and “lets’ play” will make or break a decision to buy a game for me. After all, I’ve got a 3d resin printer, I love printing minis, I’m happy playing games with proxies: for me, the game is *all about* the rules – and you only get a feel for them by watching a game being played. So if I decide I like a game (theme-wise or some clever mechanic that looks fun) I’ll always look for a let’s play for a reason *not* to buy the game. If after watching a play-through, I still like the look of a game, I’ll pull the trigger.

• Battletech: Alpha Strike or Classic? Which do you prefer?

No idea. Haven’t played either.

This week’s pledge?
    Well, did I mention I’m over in Sicily at the minute (21 degrees and full sun most days, since you’re asking)? I’m not really in much of a position to pledge anything. Although I *am* already doing lots of research for a game idea I’m looking to develop when I get back (much to my wife’s annoyance!)

Music? Well, I’ve been raving about getting into “new old music” with Obey Robots last week.
    And a few people (including work colleagues from Finland) have never heard of Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, let alone understand the indie music scene of the early/mid 90s here in the UK. So here you go…

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning brush lickers, paint flickers and mini kickers.

It’s Monday and that means:

It’s Monday *sigh*

Well, first things first: Get well @dignity ! As some may have not heard yet: Justin went to the hospital and is recovering from a heart attack.

What did I do for hobby this weekend? Bugger all! Saturday was household chores like laundry and Sunday was “playing video games all day long” only to come to the conclusion: I’m no good at them any more. And they changed greatly.

@blinky465 don’t get shock frosted when you get back home. It’s cold XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve got another couple of weeks out here in the sunshine – so hopefully Spring will have sprung when we get back (and the “proper spring” not the “fools spring” we usually get for a few weeks before “second winter” sets in). The whole idea of coming out here was to dodge the worst of the winter (which arrives later and later in the UK these days). I was so smug when, three days after landing, I saw the weather reports of thick snow “back home”.

I’m going to have to dig my bike out and get back to swimming when we get home – sitting in the sun, guzzling super-strength coffee and gobbling pistachio-creme-filled croissants is a lovely way to pass the time, but it’s going to get me in trouble!

Absolutely shocking news about @dignity. Hope you get better soon, fella.
    Coming from a family with a history of heart problems, I recently decided I had to “up my game” and start taking a bit more care (as, I guess, quite a few of us start thinking about, as we get older). I reckon we all have to do a certain amount of exercise in our lifetimes, eat a certain amount of fruit and vegetables and can only eat a certain amount of junk.
    It’s just a matter of whether you spread it out, sensibly over your four-score-years-and-some, or – as I’ve done until now – wait until a real health scare to make you realise that swapping doughnuts for broccoli and moving around a bit isn’t *that much* of an imposition after all!

We all look forward to seeing @dignity back in front of the cameras soon, with his bowl of carrot sticks, talking us through that week’s “yoga for Kill Team”.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

“Painting your minis and doing the Rising Dragon”

XD Oh god please no! XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

You’re laughing now, but in about five years, we’ll all be dressed in lycra, tuning in to OnYogaMat on Twitch for a marathon paint-along

8-iSvFV40zRgDhCk6

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

No.

Just no.

At that point I might just give up XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just caught up with Peachy. Check out about 44 mins in!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)