Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] The Story so far…

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] The Story so far…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42653xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• With so many different game systems, universe, settings and editions (past and present) floating around we (the gamers) are surely spoiled for choice. The question I have for you (and I’ll try to answer this one a bit more in depth myself) is: which gaming universe/setting is your favourite and why?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42653xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Should I really pledge since I failed on every one so far? Maybe finishing Spring Clean?

Answer to the question (short version) :  Star Wars

Long version: Star Wars has been around like “forever” to me. When “The Star Wars” first released I was 2. When “The Empire Strikes Back” launched I was 5. Star Wars has been in my life since day one in one way or another. Toys, adds, video games, TV series, movies, books. And not living in the UK meant there was way less influence from stuff like Judge Dredd, any other tabletop hobby thing ever. The closest I got to what I would call hobby today was an add for HeroQuest but that was “just a board game”. Star Wars had (and still has) everything.

Sure, most people go “I wanna be a Jedi/Sith/Force user” but the universe is so big you can be anything. From a pure game design perspective you have no limits. (Other than those the Mouse sets) Want a planet of My Little Pony? Sure! What a rebellion on a fascists ruled planet that fails spectacularly? Have at it! Rise of robots against their masters? Pod racing? Political debates? All in there.

So there is that. Star Wars. Love it to bits.

And now some tame, sombre music for a calm and relaxing weekend:

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

I kind of wished I had a favourite … so many I like and so many things that look cool.

First wargame books I ever had were Warhammer Fantasy Battles (3rd edition?) and Rogue Trader:40k (1st edition)

And even back then I couldn’t decide what army/faction I wanted.
    Like Starwars the universe these games were set in was filled with opportunities. I liked how magic was dangerous in Warhammer. The two Realm of Chaos books were the best thing ever, but at that time I lacked opportunity (only one shop that sold hobby products and it required quote a bit of travel) ,money (and internet) so it only ever were ideas.

(mini rant : it’s why I dislike what GW has done to both settings. First they ‘ruined’ WFB by making magic ‘normal’ and then they ruined 40k by removing all the fun out of the orks and turning them into a generic green alien mob army. Such a shame that the rules don’t even come close to reproducing the background lore in game format.)

Imagine what a book about Skaven could have been like if GW had made an effort to produce a big fat book of lore like ‘ere we go and ‘realm of chaos’ for all factions. Eldar got glimpses of this when the aspect warriors were announced in white dwarf.

Anyways … my 1:1 scale terrain hobby continues. Not as fast as I’d like, but it’s going forward.
    I hope I’ve documented enough that I can update the project system once it is somewhat presentable.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9587xp

No pledge from me this week as although I have the week off, I got a lot to do before a spending spree at UK Games Expo.

It’s not easy for me to pick a single favourite

I love the Star Wars universe, but I don’t feel that any of the RPG’s, or games ever has the same feeling of wonder that you get from the original trilogy. I was in my teens when A New Hope came out.

Warmachine and Hordes has some of the best lore in my opinion and the factions varied enough that anyone can find something that suits them. My favourites are the Circle for their wild druidic feels, Cryx for the corruption and Cygnar as the real good guys.  Victoria Haley and her rivalry with her sister Denegra is excellent.

Pulp is my favourite genre for RPG’s which is all due to Indiana Jones of course. Hollow Earth Expeditions being my game of choice and although it’s not a perfect rule set (is any) it fits the setting.

danlee
    22400xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve got this week. Not sure if that means I should pledge more or less than normal. I guess I’ll go with “I’ll paint some stuff.”

• With so many different game systems, universe, settings and editions (past and present) floating around we (the gamers) are surely spoiled for choice. The question I have for you (and I’ll try to answer this one a bit more in depth myself) is: which gaming universe/setting is your favourite and why? – Probably still WH40k. Age of Sigmar’s setting never really grabbed me. I’ve played non-GW games but never got that invested in their settings. Every other game has to compete with about 10 years of my life playing and reading 40k.

sundancer
    42653xp
    Cult of Games Member

Warmachine and Hordes I never had any insight to the lore. Mainly because nobody I know played it.

Warhammer in all it’s forms had the advantage of having the hooks into most people first before being introduced to other universes.

I wonder if any of The Team would care to join in on this discussion? 😉

pagan8th
    Participant
    9587xp

@sundancer Privateer Press did a line of fiction. I think most of it was ebooks though.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/71260.Iron_Kingdoms_Fiction

The rules and army books had short stories and lore in them too.

Sadly Hordes and Warmachine is not played by as many as Warhammer, but I like the look of the armies more… and they are not all facist genocidal scum that deserve to die like the 40k universe.

One of the things that bugs me about GW fiction is the stupid names that are impossible to pronounce… too much fake latin that they use to describe people, tanks etc. Protect the copyright is more important than being able to says it. A lot of fantasy and SF does that to be fair, but GW seem to be one of the worst.

sundancer
    42653xp
    Cult of Games Member

The naming conventions within GW has gotten weird the last 15’ish years. And mostly to make it “copyright-able” :S Aber better not start talking “reworking” lore to make it fit.

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

The naming is my primary reason for not even wanting to read any of the 40k/AoS books.
    Gotrek & Felix may be the only exception and even that is doubtful.

Even before the great renaming(tm) when Imperial Guard and Eldar got renamed to something latin like the average name sounded silly and meaningless. It often sounds like the little writing exercise we did at school where you had to create a scifi text by adding random words for objects. Tolkien is probably the other extreme, but at least you can feel the history in the names and objects he mentions.

This is probably why SF/Fantasy can be tricky to get into as you either grok the fancy words or they become barriers to your understanding.

Oh .. and in ‘other hobby’ news … I’ve committed to buying a new trike ( Azub Ti-Fly X ). It’s going to be a lease construct, so technically I’m only paying for half of the trike now and the rest minus a bit of tax friendly cost reduction in monthly payments over 3 years. Expensive ? Yep … but totally worth it as it will be my main transport.

And now … MUSIC

pagan8th
    Participant
    9587xp

This has been my week off and it’s first time I set my alarm so I can catch an early train to the expo… and first day I wasn’t awake before 6am…

If you see an old gamer sleeping at the expo… I could be me!

sundancer
    42653xp
    Cult of Games Member

Seeing as this weekend will be UKGE and no Weekender/XLBS… I think I will sleep in XD

Pledge: Take some time to be with you lot now that I’ve brought my latest army build up to speed.

My favorite gaming universe? I can only have one? That does make it rough. I think that I’ll take on Mordheim as my favorite. As much as I think Malifaux had been quite entertaining when I played at the FLGS it just doesn’t hold the same connection. My sense of nostalgia and the grimdark elements really make it stand out for me.

And now… back to more painting. Seriously, the next few entries are going to get better for it.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9587xp

As there is no weekender this week I suspect that @sundancer won’t do a new [unofficial weekender] and last weekend I made no pledge… but now I have one due to some recent purchases.

Those purchases being Dead Man’s Hand Redux starter, some more mdf terrain and a number of Black Scorpion resin gangs.

Pledge: Build a wild west town for some shoot outs… and possibly a role-playing game.

From a previous RPG (Wild West Cinema) I already have a lot of minis (Gunfighters Ball and Black Scorpion) to fill the streets along with a handful of MDF buildings (Sheriff’s Office, Hotel, Brothel) and some vehicles (train, stage coach, wagon).

Assembly was not great on some of the MDF and painting not ideal, but I’m hoping to fix some things.

Already got a 6×4 battlemat (Deep Cut Realm of Beasts) which is desert enough for me.

Going to take a long time to get this done well, so it’s a long term project. First goal is to get it playable (first game in less than two weels).

Before I go… If you’re at the expo, check out Black Scorpion as they do some amazing miniatures (Stand 1-188).

If I had a 3D printer I’d be using their STL’s… especially the saloon as that looks amazing… but I don’t have one… yet.

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/product-category/stldownloads/

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

Black scorpion do have lovely minis. I got a few of their wild west hands when they did their tomb stone kickstarter.

Not quite sure how they will mix with the dead man’s hand redux plastics.

Even trying to reduce the settings I like to one pet genre is hard. For science fiction is have mantic’s deadzone vs ttcombat dropfleet. Starschlock would be pulp Sci fi so I can still have that one 😀

pagan8th
    Participant
    9587xp

@limburger I haven’t compared the scale yet as none of DMH assembled, but I have enough of the Black Scorpion minis to do several gangs anyway.

Scale not that important to me… a few mm here and there doesn’t matter. It’s having fun that counts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)