Skip to toolbar

[unofficiall weekender] 2nd weekend of 2020 and I'm late again!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficiall weekender] 2nd weekend of 2020 and I'm late again!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. What new game/system in 2020 are you looking forward to?
    2. What game/system are you retiring because it’s dead/nobody plays it?
    3. If you could bring one game/system back (which is not being in production at the moment) which one would it be?

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member
    1. Skyrim. I’m just a sucker for the video game.
    2. I think I’ll stop X-Wing. There is nearly no one left playing around here and new releases don’t give me the “must have” like the past did.
    3. I think Battlefleet Gothic. Always loved the look of it and I really loved playing the video game.

Some progress done this weekend:

Operatives – Quick and dirty

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

My pledge:

Finish my Goregruntas. There are three of them for my Ironjawz army and they are close ish to completion. I have to finish their skin, black armour, bases, skin and fur, but they are very detailed models with overlapping details which make painting them a veritable minefield for making silp ups. Ill start small with the pledge and branch out.

(1)  Marvel Crisis Protocol: I will not be getting it for some time with paying loans back and a holiday, but hoping to start into it in the Summer. Im also looking forward to the near mint condition Heroquest I have in storage. In Video games… it’s a 2019 title but I want Luigis Mansion 3. A bit of Ghost hunting anyone?

(2)  I ‘never say never’ but some of my kickstarter games like Moonstone, Mythos and Shattered Earth if you put a gun to my head, but I hold out hope. Never giving up on my Arcworlde though.

(3)  Mordheim, eight millions times over! Such an amazing game that deserves reboot and return more than anything.

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wonder if they’ve got curved swords. Curved. Swords.
    I mean I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

Now where’s my sweetroll …

1) What new game/system in 2020 are you looking forward to?
    Ragnarok …

2) What game/system are you retiring because it’s dead/nobody plays it?
    I really ought to look at the games/systems I’ve got and decide what to do with them as none of them get any playtime at the moment.

3) If you could bring one game/system back (which is not being in production at the moment) which one would it be?
    I’d argue systems/games are dead for a reason … so maybe best let them stay dead ?
    Mechanics especially tend to evolve and/or replaced with better systems.
    I’d love to see Warhammer Fantasy Battles 2nd edition return … but it would have to be done by a company that can resist the temptation to add ‘moar stuff’.  It would also need to find a way to make certain armies a bit more fantastic while …
    well I could go on, but I’d end up with a spiritual successor that is more like Saga Magic and less like WFB itself.

See ?
    That’s why I prefer new systems/settings or at the very least a reason to upgrade that is not ‘these things are out-of-print so buy the new shiny’

@sundancer there is a Battlefleet Gothic videogame … and it’s got a sequel, but then you’d know that right ?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Some music, if you will

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger you did read my

3. I think Battlefleet Gothic. Always loved the look of it and I really loved playing the video game.

Yes? No? 😉

danlee
    22400xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s plan is to finish a unit of skitarii and a tech-priest dominus, and to prepare for and play through chapter one of Tainted Grail.

1) What new game/system in 2020 are you looking forward to? – None! I want a quiet year so I can play the games I already own.

2) What game/system are you retiring because it’s dead/nobody plays it? – Probably Conan. I enjoyed playing through the campaign once but now if I get the chance I’d play Mythic Battles: Pantheon instead.

3) If you could bring one game/system back (which is not being in production at the moment) which one would it be? – Definitely battle fleet gothic.

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member

@danlee really a good answer to 1) Should have thought of that mys… ooooh shiney….

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wonder how much Dropfleet commander borrowed from Battlefleet Gothic … because IIRC they share one of the designers.

@sundancer : /me sleepy … yeah, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

//

Can I say I hate Monolyth ? They should know better than to create a thing I want at a time I really shouldn’t buy more plastic.

The only videogame I’m looking forward to is Cyberpunk 2077.
    OTOH … I never finished The Witcher 3, because it is such a big game and I noticed that I got distracted by so many other shiny things.

The one thing I’m not looking forward to are the ‘new’ consoles (both Xbox One sequel and PS5 have been officially revealed), because I noticed that I wasn’t really into playing videogames like I used to be. I suspect the lack of good games and the stupendous amount of greed by the publishers hasn’t helped.

I might change my mind if either manufacturer reveals a really new and interesting game, but I have zero faith of that happening. I think focussing on this hobby may be better … although my wallet won’t like it.

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member

Monolyth? Because of Mythic Battles?

And yes, Cyberpunk2077 is something I really want to see…. even knowing that it might not be for me (like witcher). To much reading, not enough shooting 😉

danlee
    22400xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger I backed Dropfleet because I was hoping it would be a successor to Battlefleet Gothic (both were written by the same guy) but unfortunately I found they weren’t that similar. Dropfleet is very slow and cumbersome. Even playing small starter games would take all evening and we would have to abandon them after turn 2 or 3. Including the ground combat was a nice idea but slowed it down too much. Also I found that even your cruisers were too fragile – one bad turn and a full health ship could be wiped out. In battlefleet gothic cruisers felt more substantial. They felt like they could take a pounding and still fight back.

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

@danlee I like Dropfleet for the way it tries to be as realistic as possible while not making things too complicated.

I can’t comment on the speed (or lack thereof), although often such things also depend on how fast players are at executing their turns once they are familliar with the rules. It’s one of the reason I think games could do with a bit of computer assisted guidance if the rules themselves can’t be streamlined any further.

If you spend minutes thinking about your next move on a ship by ship basis then any system will take ages to play.

I do wonder if your familiarity with Battlefleet Gothic might have been a hindrance as you may have been relying on things that worked in that game ?
    I lack familiarity with (space) ship types to judge wether or not cruisers should be that fragile.

// silly question time :

Would chess clocks are something that get used in wargame tournaments ?

sundancer
    42652xp
    Cult of Games Member

Would chess clocks are something that get used in wargame tournaments ?

haven’t seen it but I think at games like Blood Bowl they could be used.

danlee
    22400xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger I liked its depth too, at least in theory. I just found that compared to other new games I’ve picked up the games just weren’t getting faster. That combined with the Dropfleet world setting not really drawing me in caused me to move on to other things.

I doubt my experience with Battlfleet Gothic made much of a difference, as it was a decade between me playing each game. That said, as an example a crippled BFG cruiser lost 5cm of speed, halved firepower and halved shields. I can remember the rules even now. In Dropfleet you had to roll on a table to determine the effect of being crippled which meant you had to look it up each time and remember it every turn when you had to apply the effect. Its just one example of how the game was slowed down.

Regarding chess clocks: Kings of War was designed with chess clocks in mind. They’re not always used, and I’m not sure if they’re still in the latest version of the rules. However they were definitely an option at one point.

limburger
    21561xp
    Cult of Games Member

@danlee I think given that Dropfleet was a first version there were/are bound to be things that are sub-optimal.

I never got into the Dropzone universe until  Dropfleet arrived. The way all factions have their own unique style in fighting was cool.
    I must say that I didn’t understand the need to include the rebels (or whatever they are called) as that faction never sounded like one that could field more than a few spaceships (if any at all)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)