Skip to toolbar

[unofficiall weekender] we've got a signal!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficiall weekender] we've got a signal!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week

1. What is your favourite wargaming/tabletop mini ever and why? (Can be mini, monster vehicle)
    2. What was your least loved mini? What made you cry “Noooo!” when you saw it first?
    3. Have you ever changed your mind about it?

Now, coffee

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member
    1. My first mini I ever got. The Chaos Knight and the Space Marine from ye old Citadel Colours set. The red one.
    2. The 40k Orcs in 3rd edition when GW went past the size of the Gorkamorka ones. At the time they just looked much to bulky and silly with the heads that far down
    3. Yes. Mainly because multi pose is just that much more versatile..

More coffee…

damon
    7525xp
    Cult of Games Member

Got a whole long weekend off, got to try and break my chronic procrastinating and try and achieve something!

Hmm, let’s see

1. An old 1/76 (20mm) Matchbox Sdkfz 234/2 Puma that I built in the early nineties, it’s been a part of my German army ever since and just keeps soldering on.

2. Two candidates, no three; Some Old Glory Japanese ships for the Russo-Japanese war, the castings are sooo bad, same with some T-62 tank castings that had so many air bubbles they would have ended up more filler than resin.  Finally, a plastic kit of an Israeli Centurion tank, great model when built but so many parts and really hard work (and expensive) that it just wasn’t viable as a gaming piece, which really disappointed me because there are no good models of the Israeli style Centurions at a reasonable price and I want quite a few.

3. No *sad face*

Right, time to get started

Hmm, hearing that provoked my long dormant teenage rebelliousnessness…ness (when does this word end??!), The Jam were good at that.

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

1) GW Imperial Knight , ‘The Knight With No Name’ or ‘Mr Sudden Death’

2) 4 Resin 20 mm Resin M113’s brought in mid 80’s , detail was crap, took hours to cut and file all the mold lines and sprues, then ages re carving the bits no cast properly, they were replaced with metal ones when Skytrx did their vietnam range.

3) Nope they litrally were bits of resin that vaguely resembled M113’s.

No figure painting planned for weekend, planning to paint and flock all the Tropical island flora I’ve put together from plastic aquarium plants for Scarif and other desert Island settings.

Plus build more of my backlog of GW figures .

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

I followed the light and all I got is this thread ? 😀

> What is your favourite wargaming/tabletop mini ever and why? (Can be mini, monster vehicle)
    That more or less depends on which kickstarter has arrived … 😉
    I haven’t found anything to obsess about.
    The Wild West set from Black Scorpion’s Tombstone range is stunning.
    As are the minis in the Anno Domini 1666 kickstarter that recently arrived at my doorstep.

> What was your least loved mini? What made you cry “Noooo!” when you saw it first?

The only thing that made me cry “Nooo!” was realising how difficult metal/resin minis were to assemble as I accidentaly broke the ‘knife’ (which was more like a thin sliver of metal) of an Infinity model I was assembling.

I suspect it’s a trick I need to learn, but it’s sort of stopping me from enjoying that part of the hobby and that sucks.
    When I’ve got a bit more time I definitely will try and beat that …

> Have you ever changed your mind about it?
    Not yet … and I probably will favour plastic minis even if I do.

Pledge wise I’m going to pack a few boxes of boardgames and put them in storage, because I need more space and prepare for when I find a new house. It also will give me some idea as to how much storage space I really need to have. I’m not thinking of selling anything until I am 100% sure I don’t want it.

And of course this had to happen :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/1144014322?ref=eh8nvf&token=56805fe8

I missed Conan the first time because I didn’t have a credit card at that time.
    Now I kind of feel tempted … ’cause it’s soo pretty and I love the (cheesy) art that is associated with Conan and Sword&Sorcery in general.

My favorite mini ever? Jeez @sundancer , trying to coach me to successful performance of internal medicine would be a simpler feat (the film Airplane is not to be used as a primer on how to do so). I’d say that I love most sculpts by Werner Klocke and choosing between the female models is very tough. The Reaper figure Virina (03084), NSFW, I’d say is my favorite. I was caught long ago with Klocke’s Chaos Sorceress when he had started Freebooter but I had missed out on getting a copy. With the Reaper figure the same presence of negative space use keeps getting me. Sculpting with open areas in metal takes quite a bit of talent for keys and the two part mold must’ve been a real pain. Succubi are generally good by me so the figure itself makes me happy otherwise.

My least favorite mini? The ones I don’t like I just don’t buy/paint. I was tricked by Reaper’s Blood Glutton (14616) when I looked at it thinking there was potential in the figure. How wrong I was. It is a generally dull figure with poky bits that lose paint if you run fingers over them if it isn’t attached to some holder. The idea of having savage gnomes was intriguing but the execution fell flat on its face.

My mind has not changed on my least favorite. My most favorite has been a toss up for some time

Now.. for something that we might think of in terms of @warzan and his Acre project

danlee
    22389xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions of the week

1) What is your favourite wargaming/tabletop mini ever and why? (Can be mini, monster vehicle) – Zacharias the everliving. Back when I got into Warhammer he was “the” centre piece model to own for the Vampire Counts, but I never got around to buying him at the time.
    2) What was your least loved mini? What made you cry “Noooo!” when you saw it first? – No particular model stands out to me as that bad.
    3) Have you ever changed your mind about it? – N/A

This weeks pledge is another chapter of Tainted Grail completed. My endless spells should be finished after another painting session then I move on to the Nightvault starting warbands.

danlee
    22389xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just had a second attempt at chapter 4A of Tainted Grail. This time things went much smoother and I stumbled on the end of the chapter by accident. Write up here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467741

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge: to finish and paint dwarven forge from Titan Forge Miniatures:

What’s better than putting a single colour LED into your miniatures and terrain? Putting controllable full-colour RGB LEDs in, of course. I hacked the bellows a little and made them into a two-part piece (so they can be animated). The light isn’t quite as bright in real life, and is two WS2812B RGB LEDs connected to an Arduino with my own custom firmware to play a flame/flicker animation.

The idea is to add a servo to the bellows and have the flames “flare up” when they blow.

1. Favourite mini: a 2nd edition human Blood Bowl thrower in lead (because my wife painted it for me). The mini is a great sculpt anyway, it’s one of the first mini-based games I bought, back in the late 80s so has a melancholy nostalgia for me.

2. Any of the “beaky” marines

3. Absolutely not; since the release of Primaris Marines they look even more ridiculous.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  blinky465.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

I kind of like the old beaky space marines.

Although they were my introduction to the 40k universe by way of Rogue Trader (the original name of what is now known as 40k).

I wonder … why hasn’t GW created a skirmish game using Rogue Trader as inspiration ?
    Imagine Core space with 40k flavour.
    Two (or more) teams of (human) traders or eldar corsairs  fighting over scraps while having to avoid the armies that happen to be fighting at that location.

Or an all-Ork variant … OrkCry with Orks fighting over teef(tm) to see who is the meanest and greenest of them all.
    That one could definitely be set in both AoS and 40k, ’cause nothing ever changes for them 😀

danlee
    22389xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve finished the models from Forbidden Power. Full project here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945

Contrast paints for the win!

IMG_20200215_202810IMG_20200215_202921

Now on the Nightvault.

@sundancer Orks have been wanting for a major overhaul in sculpts for a while. There just needs to be a major revamp to the codex to spawn a breakout in better figures.

@damon Procrastinating is an art form. I’ve yet to get Sundancer his Giftmas package (which is all boxed up and ready with customs paperwork). Don’t knock it as its the best way to keep getting old at bay.

@limburger Orktober will be coming around again soon enough. I think we can all take this time to preplan for what we will hurry up and paint for the month. Its sad but true that JanuWAAAGH-ry and FebruWAAAAGH-ry aren’t practical to try and rework but a whole summer to gather dakka, teef and looted bitz for the upcoming WAAAAGH! would work the best.

@blinky465 Always the technogod. I salute you, good sir. Your work is well done. As far as my own pledge from last thread I’ll have it done Monday since I have almost all of it done today (Saturday).

@danlee Sweet astrolabe doohickey. I agree that your contrast paint work has definitely paid off. I picked up a bottle of Darkoath Flesh and had less than stellar results. Thinking that it would produce a tone useful for  African minis I threw it onto an Egyptian and an Arab slave. The whole thing ended up waaaay too fark for flesh. Maybe it might be better for Beastmen.

thedace
    9993xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Weekend all 🙂

Questions of the week

1.What is your favorite wargaming/tabletop mini ever and why? (Can be mini, monster vehicle)

The Gargoyle from Heroquest

2.What was your least loved mini? What made you cry “Noooo!” when you saw it first?

I think the Sylvaneth from Beastgrave are not great.

3.Have you ever changed your mind about it?

Nah, I’m Stubborn

I pledge to –

Spray some more of my castle and paint some of my Nasier from Wrath of Kings as they are now my Samurai army for Warlords of Erewhon.

I am also going to attempt to paint a YELLOW model, urrgghhh!

Some music –

On tour again soon!

Gonna have a read through the thread once I finish work.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer We’ve got T’au vs Genestealer cults now and the next one will be Orkses.
    I think there’s at least one new Ork character model related to that book.
    And I hope there’s a few new units as well (maybe madboyz ? ).

Not sure which enemy they’ll face, but I think it’s Imperial Guard …

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/12/what-is-the-psychic-awakening/

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

WIP/pledge update: servo now controls the bellows and also triggers an event to make the coals glow white hot (semi-translucent beads made up the coals).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)