Skip to toolbar

What to ask wargames play testers?

Home Forums Game Developers Discussions What to ask wargames play testers?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  georgethreesailsgaming 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

georgethreesailsgaming
    Participant
    20xp

Hi all 🙂

My name is George, and I’m a content creator turned game designer, currently working on my first wargaming project.

I have an alpha version of my rulebook and a number of units designed. The core mechanics have been individually tested and redrafted. So I’m now at the stage where the very first playtests are about to start.

My question is: does anyone have advice on what kinds of questions I should be asking my play testers, either in person or on a feedback form? I will be watching as many tests as I can and taking my own detailed notes, but I’m curious to know from other designers (both wargames and boardgames) what you ask your testers and if you have any go to questions you like to get answers for.

Thanks so much!

George

iceeagle85
    Participant
    4965xp

I think this question is better asked on BGG, maybe here (https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/26/bgg/board-game-design) or here (https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1530034/bgg/seeking-playtesters).

I’m no game designer but some questions I would ask:

Is the rulebook comprehensible and specific?
    What I mean is, is it easy to read and understand and is there not much leeway to interpret the rules?

Is the rulebokk well structured.

Are the units designed well?
    Point costs, stats+ abilities, are they all diferent enough or is one doing the job of another?

Does the game offer something unique in comparison with other games of the same genre you have played?

Is this game missing something in your opinion?

Did you enjoy your time with this game?

Would you recommend this game to other people?

piers
    Participant
    25466xp

Well depends what feedback you want.

Ours is purely mechanics, explanations of such and gameplay.

For our beta testers we usually have a set scenario with forces and then free form testing. Usually beta groups blind test too .

Its mainly to see feedback on new rules and statlines if a supplement, but for a new game engine its far more encompassing and looks at how the players interpret rules on blind tests and the like, as well as the more general feel and look of the game and gameplay itself.

Have a very fixed list of expections and questions for them. Smaller groups are best to manage and interact with.

georgethreesailsgaming
    Participant
    20xp

Those are all great questions, mate, thanks for sharing 🙂 I had a number of them (or close enough) on my list already, but I’ll certainly be adding the others.

I’m starting the playtesting process with a very small group initially, so I think I’ll be able to hone some of the questions with them before expanding out, too!

georgethreesailsgaming
    Participant
    20xp

I think the focus on mechanics (and then, later on, unit balancing) is a great way of looking at it 🙂 You’ve given me a lot to think about! Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)