Skip to toolbar

15mm, 20mm, 28mm, GO! (UJWC)

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion 15mm, 20mm, 28mm, GO! (UJWC)

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 107 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ceppie 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author

unclejimmy
    9225xp

REMEMBER: The title has nothing to do with the content!

A starter question: what song was playing when I wrote the title? No cheating either.

A soggy “good morning” from Unclejimmy towers. It is grey and wet today so what better time to snuggle down with your favourite things and get sticky. Come and join-in if you have nothing better to do. It’s great fun…like a cult, but cheaper. You know you want to.

Read all of this nonsense before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building…feel free to give as good as you get.

1. What sort of an ‘album’ person are you? Maybe you are not even old enough to know what I mean, but if you go looking for some music how do you do it? E.g., I might go to the ‘metal’ section and look for some interesting sounding names. Sometimes the cover is enough for me to buy it. I am easily hooked.

Do you look down the tracks or just buy without looking?

2. A time machine question: you have any/all resources possible – what era, or specific year, do you move into? No coming back either. Why then?

3. Really easy this one…I need 3 images of outstanding beauty to brighten my day!

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. Like the sign says…

dbkcdhdmj0jgwiayrxjak3s9pvucwcxz

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before. No wussy stuff either.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it connot be broken: NO DICKS! Firms.

Any questions? I thought not.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

Förster!

More later. Gotta run.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@sundancer – impressive speed, but it is cheating…slightly! 50pts.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

It was the speed of the…

*drummroll*

Cheetah!

Thank you.

My pledge: do more on my terrain, maybe even finish it.

1. Album art drew me into Iron Maiden, AC/CD, Motörhead and Judas Priest…. and that’s still the case today… but I listen to the tracks before buying.

2. Today? Nope, got wife and kids and most of life is good. 10 years ago? Back to the late 70ies. Best music era ever.

3. These are 10 years old…. keep bleach in reach…

100_0842_edited100_1217090604_036

Anonymous
    0xp

PledgeEveryday I’m Nurgling and painting some Panzer IVs  – plus hopefully building more plastic tanks.

Answer 1. New releases from certain bands I just buy – Maiden, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Primordial etc.  Certain bands I might look to see what people are saying about an album, there are one or two people out there who I trust their judgement on metal, and if they like it, good chance I will as well. I am a bit of a metal snob and dismiss a lot of it and other people’s opinion of it as being pure shite – the number of times I have told people in Disturbed or Slipknot tshirts to politely mind their own business when they try and tell that I will like X, Y and Z.

I will still buy some albums based on band name, album art, or if there is a general buzz about them.  I will also buy from certain labels based on their description of it and who they are described as being influenced by – if it says Manilla Road and Pagan Altar, I’ll probably buy it.  Saying that I have hardly bought an album this year… can’t get excited about new music at the moment, going back to the tried and tested – been listening to a lot of Deep Purple, Amorphis and My Dying Bride recently.

Answer 2.  2001, I’d go back and do a Phd in Macroeconomic modelling.  Only thing I actually really regret not doing.  now, I’ve forgotten more than I remember…

Answer 3. I’m going to restrict myself to recent photos I actually have on my chromebook… which isn’t that many as I still delete things I don’t need.

IMG_2051IMG_1819TDJQ1910

If you don’t think these are beautiful you are breaking the NO DICKS rule.  Firms, or whatever that is meant to mean.

@sundancer I now have a mancrush on you.  I always wanted to look like 90s Andy Chambers as well.  I never had long hair as it and playing rugby never went together.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

I was young, I looked fabulous… now I barely look XD

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Just back for taking Felix to the vets for a check-up on her Thyroid. She needs some different medication as she has lost a little bit of weight.

@sundancer – I am old and slow now, but what I might lack in speed I more than make up for in experience! Come here…

I was thinking about your terrain project last night as I lay in bed. That reads worse than it sounds too. 100pts. Apart from wanting to devour a block of Marzipan (which I love) I was thinking of those buildings being three-quarters sunken into the ground and having ‘trenches running between them. What a nightmare that would be in Infinity!

Strange how ones thoughts change over the years…when I was 15 I would fall asleep thinking of the women horse-riders at the farm on a weekend and how, 37 years later, it is Marzipan and toy soldiers. Is that better or worse?

All answers on a postcard to: My Psyche, PO Box 666, Surrey.

No, I really am looking forward to see how your projects turns out. Excited. 30pts.

1. Never listen before buying! Oh, I feel faint. [applies back of hand to forehead in the style of Oscar Wilde being offended by the wallpaper] Album art rules. That is the best thing about 12″ vinyl. Is that what she said? You got to stare at the cover and if you got lucky with an inner sleever, lyrics and nerd stuff. Gatefold sleeves were even better.

We should do a best/worst album covers next week?

I might be a touch bias, but Marillion album covers were awesome. Always double and the art was on both covers. The guy who did them only used an airbrush too. I still see the odd thing I am sure I missed all those years ago, but maybe that is just the effect of the strokes? My bike tank had this covering it which is another of thier album covers…

Marillion - Brave

My ‘experience’ now is to just search a list of bands (by genre) and see what catches my attention. I bought three Darkthrone albums in a shop because of the name. How could I not?

Record collectors get-togethers were the best places for your cassette bootlegs.

2. I would agree with you. 1000pts. However, if I could takes a heap of cash and gold with me, then Victorian England would be the place. Maybe I was Jack the Ripper after all! Maybe the Edwardian times, but not towards WW1.

I was just a bit too young for the music of the late 70’s. I was there (born in 1967), but just a little too young to see all the bands I would have wanted to. I would have gone back in time to see Joy Division. Maybe tell Ian not to do it.

I did see Bauhaus when I was 13 and that was a scary night. Just me and 1249 goths. I was in my school uniform under my coat, my mother thought I was having dinner with a school friend and would be home later. The place goes dark. There is dry ice covering the stage, and to the intro of ‘Hollow Hill’s’ Pete Murphy emerges from the centre of the stage! I am tingling now! I did see lots of bands from then on, but that was 1980+.

3. They are awesome pictures! 500pts. I am so glad there was no social media/digital camera when I was younger…I am not sure if you are off to see Slayer or the local BDSM cafe? Maybe both. There is a really good one in Sheffield and there is a model shop just up the street.

We have similar foreheads! It blows when it rains as it just flows down.

@robert – they might I suggest you wash your hands after your have been touching “it”! Dirty boy. 100pts. Nurgle rules.

1. My Dying Bride! 100pts. Nice. Tasty. Everyone should have to listen to Deep Purple too. 100pts. I am the same with bands I know, but to be honest I just pick-up anything. When people have suggested things on here that sound good I just find a copy and download it. I do pay for it. Nothing wrong with downloading an album I have, but I would not ‘pirate’ music. Not very fair. Unless it is crap.

I have never listen to what anyone says about bands. I used to read all the music papers when I was 13-16 – I would even buy Smash Hits if there was someone good it it! Forgive me. I also used to listen to the radio quite a bit.

The other great source was that I had two friends who had older brothers that would loan albums to me. That was how I first heard Hemisperes by Rush. When I was 13 they where 19 and 22 so knew all the latest stuff. From those two I got Jethro Tull (who I thought was a farmer), Alice Cooper, Rory Gallagher, Humble Pie, and loads more.

Best one: Black Oak Arkansas! They are hillbillies and sound like a cross between Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Very heavy. So heavy that you can’t get the record off the turntable!

2. GO AND DO IT NOW! Seriously. Do it. Why not? I would go back and submit my proposal three years earier and it would have been accepted. That is why office politics are so savage…the stakes are so low.

3. It can be anything! However, you can play on my softspot for armoured things. 500pts. Nice camo. Very impressive. Another 100pts. It even has Zimmermit (is that spelt right?)

Firms – it means there is not negotiating. Ricky, from TPB, writes it on his price lists.

Nice beard. 100pts. The flowers are very lovely too. I thought you would be younger! 100pts.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

My “pledge” is to get those Traktor Muls finished and a Antipode Assualt Pack needs putting together before monday. Jamie is off work for the next two weeks and we have some games of Infinity to play!

There are heaps of little things that need doing too…

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s Weekender time … 😀

40K Hobby Weekend done, but not even half of the box finished … so *eh* yep more Orkses for me.
    I’m also picking up boxes with bits at a local delivery point that for some reason isn’t anywhere near where I live because the delivery guy decided to go there.  One of those boxes will be ‘Tripods & Triplanes’ (as per my usual it is an “gimme everything” pledge level) and a second one that I haven’t decoded yet because tracking info is bloody useless (‘ParcelHub LTD … ).
    First world problems, right ?

> 1. What sort of an ‘album’ person are you? ..

I used to have 2 rules :

– I need to like enough songs that buying the CD album would be cheaper than buying the (CD) singles …
    – only one album per artist
    The latter rule meant I’d usually buy a ‘greatest hits’ album.
    I’m old enough to remember vinyl, but I never had a record player so my music collection started with CD’s.
    I’ve bought a few cd’s because I they were cheap and they were mentioned in World of Darkness books.
    These days I only listen to music from a streaming service and my CD collection is gathering dust.
    I do buy the occasional CD after seeing a band/artist perform at a festival, which is why I’ve got artists like ‘Professor Elemental’ and ‘Ye Banished Privateers’ in my collection.

It sucks that CD’s are too small for album art, because some of them are pretty.

> 2. A time machine question: you have any/all resources possible – what era, or specific year, do you move into?

I’d pick 2077 … and hope to land in an alternate timeline where it’s all happy happy joy joy instead of grim dark punk.

> 3. Really easy this one…I need 3 images of outstanding beauty to brighten my day!
    One will have to do for now
    ufo_ehv

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@limburger – been anywhere nice?

I can go with you building more Orks/Orcs/or whatever they are called now. Pictures? This is not one of your fake UJW things…remember where you are!

1. Cost? What kind of person buys albums based on that. -200pts. NEVER buy a greatest hits. NEVER! Oh, woe is me. 100pts.

Now I do like buying the odd CD from support bands and the like. 200pts. I totally agree with you about the CD size. They might be great for quality, but the art size blows.

2. 2077 – well, it would have to be better than 1977! Orange wallpaper…urrrgh. 200pts. Even the idea of 2077 gives me the fear.

3. You know I love the UFO down your street! 500pts. I do require two more later.

Nice to have you with us.

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

Been at home … which is nice 😀

My Orks project and pics of me Nobz are in my project (does that sound dirty ? I suspect it does)

Let’s go Waaaaggh!

Silly new spacemarine vs Orks :

And yes … all barrels drilled as best I could do. Next up are the ork boyz, which I do hope to assemble this weekend.

Orks are still Orks in 40k. I think they got a different name in ‘Age of Sigmar’, but I still call  ’em Orks.
    Spacemarines are spacemarines, Eldar are Eldar or Space elves … and of course the Imperial guard is the flockin’ Imperial Guard and not any of those fake pig latin names even though GW keeps calling them like Astra Millitarum (sp? I don’t care I ain’t remembering it).

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@limburger – my first comment was sarcasm! You can’t show a picture of your Nobz here. However, I know these guys in Hamburg…100pts. It would sound even more dirty if you overheard someone saying it! Unless you were in a public loo.

Should we start a book on the fight? That Marine has bucklies. I think this might end-up like a scene from Oz. 200pts. Barrels all drilled. 500pts. This makes me very happy, but I did spot a mould line! Maybe it was a trick of the light?

Those are very nasty looking Orks. 100pts. What is next for them?

Yeah, I would love to know where Wacoshop get their names from. It is very cult-like behaviour to have these type of names and to keep changing them. No kidding either.

I am working with this…

IMG_20190816_193855_HDR

Just a few little bits to do here.

IMG_20190816_194059_HDR

Wash these down a little bit.

IMG_20190816_194932_HDR

…and put some thin filler on this! Apart from that I have to work out what bits are what for the Antipodes, finish that Skip, and add the bumpers to the TM’s. I also wanted to start a new game on Astroneer. I was catapulted onto a strange new world…

20190815211314_1

20190815211321_1

I almost hit a mountain!

unclejimmy
    9225xp

I also have a few middle-eastern(ish) buildings that need finishing off before I start some new Force-on-Force games.

IMG_20190816_194759_HDR

IMG_20190816_194828_HDR

This sits near a road junction and is sniper heaven.

IMG_20190816_194844_HDR

Told you!

Anonymous
    0xp

@unclejimmy Darkthrone rule!  I love their Black Metal stuff but the punkier stuff they have been doing over the last few years has been really good as well.

If I could get the funding to do it I would, but slim chance of that.  I might write a book on knitting and heavy metal instead.

I am 41, I suppose that still is young.  Went bald in my 20s and beard went grey in the 30s.  Turned 41 last Saturday… but got my cake today.

IMG_2128IMG_2127

The head was tasty.

IMG_2134

Been building halftracks and painting a wee beastie

IMG_2129

Anonymous
    0xp

@unclejimmy I like your terrain, looks good and @limburger I like your nobz as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)