Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 24/08/2018

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 24/08/2018

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 148 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
  • Author

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Welcome one and all to another weekender! Explanatory blurb shamelessly cut and paste below:

Welcome to the hobby weekender, a place where anyone is welcome. This is a collaborative, chatty thread. Not an exclusive thing or elitist. Please join in and enjoy a friendly welcome. Main rules are don’t be a dick, engage with others, and do not discuss religion or politics. Post your progress, answer questions, chat to people, post up some music, and enjoy the show. Points get awarded and we have a sort of winner at the end.

Some questions to get the ball rolling:

(1) With the projects system going up on the new site there is a wealth of hobby blogs, techniques, painting guides, ideas and game material available. Have you had a chance to look through the projects? If so, are there any you would like to flag that we should check out or keep an eye on?

(2) What was the first song you ever recall really liking off of your own bat? That is, a song that you were exposed to which ‘clicked’ for you and made you thing that maybe this whole music thing was actually a pretty good idea? Do you still like the song? Interactive response time here – please post a link to the track as well.

(3)  What is the best piece of gaming or hobby related advice that you have ever received? How has this helped shape your hobby since?

Please post tunes and hobby pledges (aspirational pledges are fine) and if you haven’t joined in on the thread before please do feel welcome and jump on in ?

Also there are bonuses for the following ‘Achievements’:

·         Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic)

·         Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation)

·         Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend)

·         Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)

·         Pun-Tertainment (best pun)

·         Brush Licker (painting & terrain)

·         Headliner DJ (most eclectic music)

·         Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports)

·         Community Usher (helpful & engaged)

·         Storyteller (weekly discussion & story)

Points will be awarded by me for posts, most likely in what would appear on face value to be a random and happenstance manner, but rest assured, there is a highly scientific method utilised to determine point allocations…

_WDR

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

First! WOO!!!!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

It is much easier and to the point to copy the blurb, isn’t it?

(1)  I have looked a little, but unfortunately, it is one of those things I just do not have enough time to devote to doing. Even my forum activity is pretty non-existent compared to before, Hobby Weekender Threads notwithstanding. I have seen a few nice ones. One was a heresy era army. I got to find some more project logs to look through though, a lot of them are quite good.

Here is one I found looking for the one I was looking for:

Luna Wolves Reborn a.k.a. Cawl’s personal Guard – by Bothi

Here is the one I was looking for:

Luna Wolves

And this is another brilliant one I just happened to stumble across…

Mage’s Age of Sigmar Dark Elves

Some questions to get the ball rolling:

(2)  What was the first song you ever recall really liking off of your own bat? That is, a song that you were exposed to which ‘clicked’ for you and made you thing that maybe this whole music thing was actually a pretty good idea? Do you still like the song? Interactive response time here – please post a link to the track as well.

That is a very good question. I’m not quite sure to answer that as we kind of go through phases in our life and as years go by, we reach landmarks and go through life our experiences, outlook and palette changes. This is going to be a very, very broad cross section of my life and music.

From childhood, Dad playing this all the time in the car:

As I got older (preteens):

Teens (more punky and of course, teenage emotions/hormones):

However, I miss stuff from the mid 1990s, feeling nostalgic for that era now that I am in my early 30s:

Ill continue this later, with age and time, etc. For now, I will continue with the questions.

(3)  What is the best piece of gaming or hobby related advice that you have ever received? How has this helped shape your hobby since?

Im struggling with this, painting since I was ten so it is hard to say. I guess my painting game really upped was on two occurences. The first was when the paint guides for Lord of the Rings minis were released in white dwarf. They were aimed at new people and had a lot of detail in them with painting mixing and general advice. You could get your Elrond or Ringwraith close enough to the White Dwarf models. They aren’t like the rubbish, oversimplified, missing step ones that are currently in White Dwarf.

The second time was when my LGS started doing more painting classes/days and stuff in store. The owner and some of the lads really helped me up my painting game and get my Iron Hands looking well. It really helped with details, washes and drybrushing.

Music, of course:

I watched Thor Ragnarok lately:

And this song reminds me of an ex who broke my heart:

This came out when I was on holiday a few years ago in LA. Good stuff:

And a funny:

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

My pledge:

·         Finish my Firebelly

·         Finish my second Mordor Troll

·         Work on 12 Morannon Orcs (0ossibly finish it, don’t wanna put myself under too much pressure)

·         Work on Fellbeast (possibly finish it too, see above)

Not necessarily on my pledge but get in:

·         A date night

·         A Pokemon Stadium night (old N64 game), as well as other games and takeout.

·         Play some Arcworlde or BMG

·         Get a couple of hobby days in with a friend (an virtual hobby hangout with one of the lads from the Arcworlde facebook page Friday evening, and different friends next week

Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)

Some more music:

Anyone remember this*?

*Christ, rewatched this, racist AF.

Well, I took this from the d4 chan page on ‘Grimdark Songwriting:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Grimdark_Songwriting#Pocahontas:_Savages

-Part 1-
    [Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    What can you expect
    From filthy little xenos?
    Their whole disgusting race is like a curse
    For them no tears we shed
    They’re only good when dead
    They’re vermin, as I said
    And worse

[Deathwatch Marines]
    They’re aliens! Aliens!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    They’re not even human

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Aliens! Aliens!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    Astartes to the fore!
    They’re not like you and me
    Which means that we must purge them
    We must sound the drums of war!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe+Deathwatch Marines]
    They’re aliens! Aliens!
    Filthy xenos rabble!
    Now we sound the drums of war!

[Eldrad]
    This is as I saw
    With their absurd ambition
    The Mon-Keigh seek to conquer and destroy

[Caerys]
    Beneath that armour plate
    They harbor only hate

[Aspect Warriors]
    Killing them shall be a joy

[Aspect Warriors]
    They’re savages! Savages!
    Zeal and fervor blinds them
    Savages! Savages!

[Caerys]
    Killers at the core

[Exarch]
    They’re a lesser race than us
    Which means they can’t be trusted

[Eldrad]
    We must sound the drums of war

[Aspect Warriors]
    They’re savages! Savages!
    Now we march against them
    And we sound the drums of war

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Aliens! Aliens!

[Watch Captain]
    Let’s go kill a few, men!

[Aspect Warriors]
    Savages! Savages!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    Now it’s up to you, men!

[All]
    (Aliens) Savages! (Aliens) Savages!
    They are lesser creatures!
    Now we sound the drums of war!

-Intermission-

[Taldeer]
    They’re going to kill him at sunrise, Grandmother Wraithbone.

[Grandmother Wraithbone]
    You have to stop them!

[Taldeer]
    I can’t…

[Grandmother Wraithbone]
    Child, remember your vision-

[Taldeer]
    I was wrong, Grandmother Wraithbone, I followed the wrong path! I feel so lost…

[Taldeer]
    The auspex… The spinning arrow…

[Grandmother Wraithbone]
    It’s the arrow from your vision!

[Taldeer]
    I was right, it was pointing to him! Sunrise…

[Grandmother Wraithbone]
    It’s not too late, child! Let the spirits of the webway guide you! You know your path, child, now follow it!

-Part 2-
    [Taldeer]
    Is there nothing I can do?
    Can I make these soldiers yield?
    Is it only death that waits
    Out there on the battlefield?

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    This will be the day …
    (Let’s go men!)

[Eldrad]
    This will be the morning …
    (Bring out the prisoner!)

[Deathwatch Marines and Aspect Warriors]
    We will see them dying in the dust

[Taldeer]
    I don’t know what I can do
    Still, I know that I must try

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Now we make them pay

[Taldeer]
    Isha, help my feet to fly

[Rangers]
    Now without a warning …

[Taldeer]
    Kurnous, help my heart be great

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Now we leave them blood and bone and rust

[Taldeer]
    Spirits of the wraithbone cry …

It’s them or us

[Taldeer]
    Please don’t let it be to late …

They’re just a bunch of
    Filthy, stinking

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Aliens!

[Aspect Warriors]
    Savages!

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Daemons!

[Aspect Warriors]
    Primates!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    Kill them!

[Aspect Warriors]
    Savages!

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Aliens!

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe+Deathwatch Marines]
    What are we waiting for?

[All]
    Destroy their evil race
    Until there’s not a trace left

[Taldeer]
    How loud are the drums of war

We will sound the drums of war
    (Savages! Savages!)
    Now, we sound the drums of war
    (Aliens! Aliens!)

[Inquisitor Ratcliffe]
    They shall all succumb
    The rotten xenos scum

[Aspect Warriors]
    Now we sound the drums … of … war!

[Deathwatch Marines]
    Of course it means the drums … of … war!

[Taldeer]
    Is the death of all I love
    Carried in the drumming of war?

[Taldeer]
    No! If you kill him, you’ll have to kill me too.

[Eldrad]
    Daughter, stand back.

[Taldeer]
    I won’t! I love him…

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage 10 points for first post 🙂

Wow, both of those Luna Wolves projects are fantastic, thanks for sharing. As is that dark Elves one you stumbled across in your travels 😉 yes there are a large number of projects on-going, I had a go at trying to keep up with them but I think due to the volume of work being undertaken it might be better to treat it as a resource and just search for key topics that might be of interest. Are you considering doing a project log for your 4 player game setup? Might be a nice way to show off your AoS forces.

A nice selection of songs and like the timeline idea 🙂 yes Metallica’s ‘Black’ album was one of the first CD’s I owned (however I am old enough to have had cassettes and records prior to that…). Odd thought – why is it every band pretty much get’s judged on the strength of their last album whereas Metallica are forever judges on the basis of everything they released in the 1980’s? Anyhow…

So your best hobby advice was stepped through, detailed painting guides but then you had the patience and perseverance to practice the techniques demonstrated? Nice to hear you were getting minis to line up to White Dwarf standards – I was usually Ok for the priming and basecoating steps and then there was almost a ‘magic happens’ step and suddenly the final shot was something unattainable. or at least so I thought at the time… I remember reading in one of the articles that Victoria Lamb painted red colours in seventeen separate stages. Back then it sounded insane and almost nonsensical. Nowadays it seems perfectly reasonable to me for a display piece.

Pledge sounds good, nice, and hopefully, achievable 🙂 Do you find much of an issue switching between the 25mm LoTR minis and the ‘Heroic’ 28’s for AoS? Just asking because I find myself getting frustrated when stepping down a scale that I can’t cram the same amount of detail into the mini as I usually can. Wondered if it was just me?

Is theLoTR stuff for a tournament, social gaming or just a hobby project for the time being? Where are you thinking of taking it as far as size is concerned?

Can’t say I have ever watched Pocahontas, or most Disney movies for that matter (well I guess since they bought Lucasfilm and Marvel that’s not technically true anymore…). Outside of the Pixar films or the recent comic/sci-fi acquisitions I honestly couldn’t tell you the last disney film I watched. Possibly The Black Hole?… Yeah, showing my vintage there… But then I don’t have little ones to look after. My understanding is that as part of children’s cognitive development they are pre programmed to rewatch something 50 times in a row. Good fir Disney DVD sales I guess but it must become somewhat maddening for the parents hearing those songs on a continual loop…

Well, that 1d4chan thing was a little on the grimdark side of grimdark 😛 Here’s something to brighten things up a little…

ff6

Hrm… Not sure if that helped or made things worse…

30 points for question responses, another 30 for tunes and 20 for assorted bits and pieces plus pledge. 90 points all told.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

(1) https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/painting-historical-minis-with-janus1004/

Civs Foray into Sharp Practice

These are two project I like although I do have a slight bias 🙂

(2) Growing up as a young Teenager going to the local GW it was all metal all the time so Metallica, Austrian Death Machine and the standard GW Metal lineup was what got me into music.  Guns and Roses, Metallica, Rob Zombie and Disturbed were all staples.

I actually heard “Holy Diver” in a TV ad yesterday and it took me back to being 14 painting some Dwarves.

(3)  The best piece of Hobby Advice I ever received was learning to Batch Paint. There’s a way to do it (as I’m doing now with my Lannisters) where you don’t burn yourself out but still get enough done. It’s about 20-30 Minis.

Some music

Working on my Lannisters for A Song of Ice and Fire this Weekend. I’d done the Red and Metal and they’re 40-50% done.

DSC00177-minDSC00178-minDSC00179-min

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Happy hobby weekend peeps.

I also don’t pop over to projects often so it’s brilliant you have raised awareness of them. From my initial look there is a brilliant Dark Elf one for age of sigmar *ahem*. I’d point you to @curis‘ blogs too although they are more links to his own site. I did find this gem though.

Action Force and the Red Shadows in 28mm scale

I loved Action Force and GI Joe as a kid so this really floats my nostalgia boat. Plus it’s really good work.

My first record. What can I say? I was weird.

I too grew up to GnR, Metallica but music really got me with the grunge movement. Played in bands etc back when I was a student.

The best piece of hobby advice I ever received? Nothing less than two thin coats. My painting (for twenty years plus) before and my painting after is nothing short of miraculous. My previous technique consisted of one really thick coat.

As for White Dwarf the ‘hobby guides’ tend to be more realistic these days. No missing thirteen stages of highlighting and a ta da moment anymore.

As for hobby this weekend I may struggle. My little girl Tash has been at the vets all night and may not make it past today.

DSC_0052

She’s a fighter though so I still hope.

If I do get any done I’m painting the extra colours on my Deathguard and taking them to a tournament tomorrow if I am up to it. I will probably get a few stages done on my stormcast too. Battlecat Dracolines do not paint themselves.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@evilstu

I need to give them another look too. The white is quite vivid and well done which is always a joy to see. Must be hard to do. Also, the old school minis in the second one I posted a link to is always fun to take in.

Sadly I do not have anything to update the Dark Elf plog with yes. Mainly because Im focussing on other stuff and don’t have anything new to paint for them. Unless, that is, I drop some more cash into them which I don’t plan on doing until next year. There are other games I want to play and I want to get some more games in with them.

I might do one for the four player game, yes. Thanks for the encouragement. Im going to put pics of my terrain up later. Based on what you said in the previous thread and terrain density, I may leave the Arcane Ruins out and hold off on buying the Baleful Realmgate set.

Thanks for appreciating the music and seeing what I was doing with it! Then again I did describe it as I went along, lol. I think Metallica is the one exception to that rule for producing a new, exceptional sound and perfecting, to a degree, a genre. Then again if one dislikes Metallica they might read my post and say highly negative things, haha.

I wouldn’t quite say they were up to white dwarf standards but they looked a lot better than some of the garbage paint guides that preceeded it from the late 1990s and the ones that followed in the years since… I was happy.

What we know now, huh?

I haven’t posted update pics but I got a nice bit of work done on everything from the last thread. They will go up later in the evening once I get home from work, sleep and commence dad duty. I don’t want to jinx it but Im a little confident and optimistic I can complete it. Honestly, I find no issue really. Then again, on and off I have been working with Lord of the Rings miniatures since they first came out, and since then worked on different scales. It was with those minis and the more advanced painting guides I really turned from a beginner into an ok painter but it gave me a damn good foundation moving forward. Maybe its because that was when I upped my game and it was with minis in a different scale I did not notice?

It is for home use and social gaming. I have the bones of the starter set about to be released, albeit painted them years ago and older versions of Theoden and the Witch King of Angmar. I want to rewatch the movies, play some games and spruce up the stuff from the starter set. Someone on FB expressed and interest in possibly borrowing them for use in some video tutorials and I scrambled to finish what I had.

I haven’t seen Pocahontas in years. I remember watching and rewatching and rewatching it over and over and over so you aren’t wrong there. As a child. Yes… not as an adult…

Anyway, I want some of these for LOTR:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Balrog

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Warriors-of-Dale

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Galadhrim-Warriors

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

‘ello possums!

I guess if my local dealer doesn’t contact me soon there will be no hobby for me this weekend. (Han Solo and Troops inbound).

This wouldn’t be to bad because Saturday my local gaming club does a “Pirate games” day and on Sunday we’re of to a medieval fair at the sea. So I’m busy 😉

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@sundancer pictures or it didn’t happen!

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons will do…. if I can remember…

Edit: forgot some music for all you to enjoy:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  sundancer.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@elessar2590 yes have been following the Sharp Practice blog by @civilcourage too – amazing paint jobs on those minis and really a well deserved golden button a few weeks ago. Hadn’t seen the one by @janus1004 but there is some great stuff there too, thanks for linking 🙂

ha can’t really argue with any of those tunes. makes me wonder if they were CD’s owned by the GW staff or if there is a global radio playlist that is pimped across all GW retail outlets to ensure a homogenous shopping experience?… Surely it can’t be coincidence that all the stores play the same bands, right? 😛

Ah yes, batch painting truly is a thing of beauty. Would you care to elaborate on your preferred approach?

Lannisters are looking great already, looking forward to see how they progress. Have you had an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the rules as yet? If so, what are your impressions?

20 points for responses, 30 for tunes and 20 for WIP shots, plus another 10 for Dio just because – I’m firmly of the opinion that the guitar solo from ‘Don’t Talk to Strangers’ from that album is the best recorded in the 80’s 🙂 80 points.

@woldenspoons first up I didn’t get to respond to your Slaanesh comment in last weeks thread but rest assured it did reduce me to a fit of giggling 🙂

Ah yes the Action Force project by @jraldridge is such a brilliant idea. A great opportunity to convert and scratch build components. I had a few of the action figures from when I was younger so it does make me a little nostalgic yoo. Nice to see something that is such a labour of love progressing. Is it inspiring you to kick off a project log for one of the armies you currently have on the go?

I do like the Eurythmics. I used to have something of a crush on Annie Lennox when I was younger…  Maybe we were both weird?… 😛

Two thin coats seems to be something of a mantra of late. I have to confess I sometimes do still go for the one coat option (even then I do thin the paint a little) for large scale batch painting. I think I need to switch pace and do some ‘display’ quality minis to break bad habits. I have only bought the occasional White Dwarf in the last 10 or so years – how are you finding the current format? Is it worth the price of admission, as it were, in a highly digitized and ‘real time’ hobby world? I used to enjoy the battle reports most of all so I guess that’s something that would still be something of a nice cornerstone of the tangible medium.

Sincerely sorry to hear about your bad news, hope both she and you are doing OK 🙁

Best of luck at the tourney if you do manage to make it along. 50 points.

@mage up could always have a ‘practice game’ as it were with an experienced opponent taking 2 of the armies and you taking the other two and ‘playtesting’ a little to see what works optimally as far as terrain is concerned? I’m sure you will have it all planned and working well regardless 🙂

Well with all that practice and ‘cutting your teeth’ as it were on the LoTR minis it must feel a little like coming home when you break them out and start painting. Social gaming sounds fun – no pressure or tourney deadlines, and you can play things form a narrative perspective rather than maximising damage potential of lists. Is that the original Balrog sculpt from 2000? Wow, if so that has held up really, really well 🙂 Yes have watched films I loved as a kid again as an adult. Of course they are always better with nostalgia glasses, but I honestly was surprised how much innuendo I didn’t pick up on as a kid. 25 points

@sundancer sounds like quite the hobby addiction 😛 Pirate games? so anything at all as long as it is pirate related or is it a bit more structured? Or a rotating cast of different games regularly? Medieval fare sounds interesting, please take photos 🙂 20 points

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu the pirate thing is a rather spontaneous thing. aaaaand the term is very loose. Some guys are playing a “Pirate” Mission of X-Wing 😉

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer YT-1300’s away! 🙂

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu I’ll take pictures tomorrow if I don’t forget…

also more music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eePMH_AOUGo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)