Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] 2 Weeks until Christmas

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] 2 Weeks until Christmas

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• What was the last new system/game you bought into?
    • When starting something new do you tend to go “all in” and buy mountains of stuff or do you ease yourself in?
    • What was the last thing you got into and now wished you’ve saved that money?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge: paint Dunkeldorf Lemmy, build and prime more Star Wars: Legion

• I don’t start new g…. ups… why is there a copy of Frostgrave on my table? Where did that come from?
    • Usually I stick with a starter box. Just in case the shiny wears off to quick or it’s bad. Only exception here was Star Wars LCG because I wanted enough cards for 4 factions… and then I only played it once… DOH! Ok, for SW:L I got more then just the core set but only enough extra to get to 800 points for rebels and empire and have all requirements met
    • That’s a tough one… I probably would be Fanticide. A Kickstarter from 2014 that went straight into the box…

Fanticide is a Fantasy Skirmish Game Written By Rick Priestley, Alessio Cavatore & Andy Chambers Featuring Opposing Homcidal Warbands.

Still have everything sealed in boxes and blisters :S

Music:

boaz
    Participant
    545xp

I  said it last year and Ill said it this year … and ill say it again ,,, No Email unless I invite a response.

Please take me off the auto Email list. Again.

danlee
    22393xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish the 75mm figure I’m currently painting. Then maybe I’ll paint another one. Let’s see how I feel…

• What was the last new system/game you bought into? – Conquest, though I had no real intention of playing the game. I just wanted to collect a force to join in with the Path to Conquest event.
    • When starting something new do you tend to go “all in” and buy mountains of stuff or do you ease yourself in? – I’d usually get the core rules and a small starter force. It really depends on the game and their “business” model.
    • What was the last thing you got into and now wished you’ve saved that money? – I try to avoid regretting stuff like that. Worst case its a learning experience to not do it again.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge this week is to paint a type 1 demon from Otherworld Miniatures that I’ve had for a while. Think the really old and small 40mm based greater daemon of Tzeench, although I won’t be painting it up in those colours, more natural. Going to use it as a Terror Wing for Rangers of Shadow Deep.

What was the last new system/game you bought into?

I recently picked up The Silver Bayonet in a Black Friday sale. I enjoy McCullough’s other games and this one looks fun. Won’t be getting any minis for it for a while, too much other stuff first.

When starting something new do you tend to go “all in” and buy mountains of stuff or do you ease yourself in?

Depends on the game. Sometimes I’ll just get the book and wait for a while, like the Silver Bayonet above or Stargrave, others like Frostgrave and certain Kickstarter (like the new Core Space) I dived in wholeheartedly. Usually it’s a middle ground, the rules and enough to get started.

What was the last thing you got into and now wished you’ve saved that money?

Probably the Dark Souls board game Kickstarter in which I went all in. The game didn’t play very well and I did end up selling the whole lot (and just made my money back). I have bought things more recently that’s still waiting to be touched but so far I’m glad I got them, such as Burrows & Badgers with the two starter warbands, which I just need to find time to paint them.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

@boaz  I have no idea what you are talking about. Last time you said something on the forum was three years ago according to your log. Maybe check your profile for Newsletter subscriptions? It’s under “settings” – “emails”. There you can turn it all off. In the regular newsletter there is a “unsubscribe” link at the very end. Try that one.

zorg
    18736xp
    Cult of Games Member

So it time for all the male’s out their to start think about what your getting your folks an relations?

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

it tries to tricks uss … it does

1) What was the last new system/game you bought into?
    I think it’s Deathzone …

2) When starting something new do you tend to go “all in” and buy mountains of stuff or do you ease yourself in?
    it depends on how the system is sold.
    If there’s a pre-order and they have some things that look really cool/usefull I tend to buy that as well.
    I got the starter set for deathzone and the extra terrain and tokens. I might have bought more if any of the factions really spoke to me.

//
    off topic … I’ve noticed that when answering topics I always need to uncheck the ‘notify me of follow up replies by email’ checkbox before submitting.
    The only mail I haven’t been able to disable is the automatic subscription to posts in news topics whenever I post there.
    It is a bit annoying, but as those topics rarely spin out of control it’s manageable.

//
    We need more music and it needs rocks and loud guitars

3) What was the last thing you got into and now wished you’ve saved that money?

I kind of have that with Starwars Legion. It was interesting and it looked like a lot of fun, but the crappy supply practically drained my ability to focus and finish. And I’m bad enough at finishing things as is already.
    Althoug ‘regret’ may be a bit much, because for now it’s on that big stack of projects that I will finish one day.

Pledge: to keep the pledge of last week in painting levy. Starting to pack up things has gotten me sidetracked and looking over how my Arabian Knights force and the Amazons sit in the carrying cases I’ve set up are distracting.

What was the last new system/game you bought into? Saga, still have yet to play but the Book of Battle, Age of Magic and base book are on my shelf

When starting something new do you tend to go “all in” and buy mountains of stuff or do you ease yourself in? Its a small step and then maybe falling face first into drowing in. Sometimes I do well and come for air to clear my head. Book collecting is more like snorkeling in as far as searching out books that would be interesting to buy, realizing I have nowhere near enough money to buy it all and then setting it aside to possibly get something at a modest price… modest is sometimes relative

What was the last thing you got into and now wished you’ve saved that money? I thought that I would take up Renassiance festival attendance regularly and thought to assemble a costume. I had a doublet made and never wore it. Even after almost 20 years I still have it. Best to let it go then.

It appears Santa’s gone grim. I might actually paint the MiniCrate figure Privateer press made years ago thinking about it.

For @johnlyons … Can we get a GuP AMV with something like this?

Music for hobbying

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

A Sabbaton themed tank army… I’d be surprised if there hasn’t been done one… after all they where performing live at the World Of Tank booths at GamesCom in past years XD

danlee
    22393xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished this model off last night watching the weekender. Demons are totally in the spirit of Christmas, right? https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1593676/

thumbnail_IMG_6957

@sundancer You poked your head up over the trench. Here’s your reward

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m never poking my head… never!

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yaarrrrh! Yarrrrh!

Next task is not to get distracted by anything as I try to do some hobby.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

So it time for all the male’s out their to start think about what your getting your folks an relations?

You’re still about ten days too early!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)