Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] 2021 is already 54% done

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] 2021 is already 54% done

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• Looking back on 2021: did you achieve anything you thought you would have by this point?
    • What are your plans for the second half of the year?
    • Why is there no OTT merchandise?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge:

Maybe, possible get some hobby shit done

Answers:

• I planed nothing and I achieved that to great success!
    • Not die and stay healthy. Seriously, that the only real goal atm.
    • Hah, if only I knew…

We also need a wee bit of music here:

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Before The Event, I made a promise to “get out more” (I even have it in my hilariously self-effacing online profile that as a bit of a computer nerd, I need to get out more). Of course, 2020 put paid to that. Which is probably why, in some ways, I’ve found the whole lockdown thing far less of an imposition than many.

Yesterday I made good on my promise (actually, I was just kicking around, killing time to avoid going home to an empty house) and went out for breakfast. On my own. It’s been a while since I’ve done that.

I was approached by an old guy who sat at the table opposite, as we each supped our coffees – we exchanged pleasantries then he exploded in a burst of terrifying laughter. Determined to show I wasn’t intimidated, we continued our conversation as if he’d just sneezed or coughed – neither of us making reference to it. (as a much younger man, I worked for a few years at a mental institute, would often take residents out into the community and was always horrified at how people reacted.)

It was both heartbreaking, uncomfortable and – let’s be honest – hilarious, to be discussing issues such as the weather and local politics with a guy with tourettes, who stopped every now and again to throw his coffee at passers by and call them “f*@king nonces”.

Get out more? I don’t think so. It’s too people-y out there 😉

For the second half of the year? Would it be unreasonable to suggest “stay in more”?

I thought there was plenty of OTT merch. I distinctly remember Lloyd plugging hats, mugs and t-shirts, not that long ago.

(I found I had a 7″ picture disc of this in the loft the other day. Was “heavy metal” always this camp?)

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

I thought there was plenty of OTT merch. I distinctly remember Lloyd plugging hats, mugs and t-shirts, not that long ago.

Beasts of War had merchandise. Shirts, caps, dice bags. But Lloyd is showing off OTT shirts on show… but as far as I know they are not for sale and just for the team.

Also “stay in more” sounds good for me atm.

barbarella
    Participant
    202xp

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 Your story reminds me of a scene in one of the later Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy books where Arthur buys some tea and a packet of biscuits and sits at a table while waiting for a train. A man sits down and takes Arthur’s biscuit, opens the packet and eats one. Arthur is so in shock he just watches but says nothing. Then between them both they take turns until the packet is finished. Only when Arthur gets up he notices his packet of biscuit was hidden under a newspaper the whole time.

Strange things happen at tables.

@sundancer That’s a great idea. I remember the OTT dice mat they used in lets plays from before the event and wondering if they were available to buy.

Ok my pledge is to paint two trolls, the Grendel model by Otherworld Miniatures and Boulder The Troll from Moonstone. Once both of the these are painted I’ll be able to start playing the next three scenarios in my Rangers of Shadow Deep game.

I’m also waiting on an order of 1000 card sleeves coming tomorrow. Once they arrive I’ll be sleeving my Lord of the Rings cards.

Looking back on 2021: did you achieve anything you thought you would have by this point?

Kind of. I planned on getting and painting all of the North Star Frostgrave Barbarians which I did. But then I thought I’d have painted more of my Chaos Space Marines and so far this year I haven’t painted any.

What are your plans for the second half of the year?

I have a whole host of miniatures I been collecting for an entire Rangers of Shadow Deep campaign, The Dying Light, which I haven’t even assembled, which I’ll want finished. I want to have all of the Moonstone miniatures which I currently have painted and I want to properly start getting everything together for Stargrave which I’ve mostly sidelined up to now.

Why is there no OTT merchandise?

So we can easily tell who is staff and who is everyone else? Not sure buts it’s a good idea.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

If I can get the paints and get her primed tomorrow that I plan to paint the last member of my Murder Girls Shadespire team (must remember to as my brother if I can prime at his place tomorrow…); it’s been too long since I painted anything…possibly as much as a month…

Questions!

Looking back on 2021: did you achieve anything you thought you would have by this point?

You can achieve things still? 😛 I guess I’m pretty happy with what I did in school last semester…which bearing in mind the circumstances isn’t something I thought I’d manage. To be honest my perception of time is so off at the moment that I have a hard time remembering when 2021 started…

What are your plans for the second half of the year?

I PLAN to get back to normal life, though I suspect that won’t happen until next year, at best. School is coming up again in September so I guess there’s that as well. It’s all just a little bit weirder now, though. Not sure if anyone else feels that way about it all…

Why is there no OTT merchandise?

Didn’t we demand fezzes a while back? We never did get those, did we? 😛

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Happy weekend everyone! My pledge is paint something just for me. I think it might be Dead Man’s Hand models but I need to just switch off all the digital stuff for a few hours over the weekend at some point.

Questions:

• Looking back on 2021: did you achieve anything you thought you would have by this point? Not quite but not far off it. IRL beginning to get over the anxiety brought on the last year has been slow but continuous progress. Still spiked a bit with the level 0 announcement this week but one day at a time. Hobby wise, almost. I wanted to finish my 2020 project and if not for the recent Ginger Dwarf Raffle, I would have done. Now it’ll be done by the end of July and that is better than good enough.
    • What are your plans for the second half of the year? To actually start a couple of things I have been debating for over a year. Need to remind myself that perfection shouldn’t get in the way of done!
    • Why is there no OTT merchandise? I suspect because merch is expensive both in time and money and rarely worth it for most creators.

@blinky465 “It’s too people-y out there” perfectly sums up why I try and yet fail to get out more. Hope The Wife is doing well after her hospital trip.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to continue with my Egyptian project. I’m in the middle of trying a slightly different technique and hope to have results by the end of the weekend. In the meantime for those of you more statistically inclined I just published an infographic on all the printing I’ve done in the project (https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1660768/).

1. Looking back on 2021: did you achieve anything you thought you would have by this point? – I’ve not played as many solo games as I had planned. It turns out my kids are at an age where they are going to bed too late to give me time in the evenings any more. Model wise I’m on track, though my Egyptian project may put me behind schedule.
    2. What are your plans for the second half of the year? – Same as the first half: keep plodding on until life returns to normal.
    3. Why is there no OTT merchandise? – Shame it ended, but although I can see the financial reasons for having it it seems every youtuber has merch these days. It all gets a bit samey.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve got a recipe for the Egyptians that works: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1660768/

What do you guys think?

thumbnail_IMG_6205

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice work

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Kudos for persevering with the gold leaf. I think I’d have given up long ago! It’s a classic colour scheme, turquoise and gold, and looks really “classic” on your minis. I’m guessing these look really special IRL (cameras never do minis justice, but even in the photo the gold looks very gold). Would be interesting to see a full, final paint – I’d be tempted to paint the wings a bit darker to “push them back a bit” so they’re not competing with the gold for your eye’s attention. Nice work!

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Looking really good @danlee Looks like you’ve started to really get a handle on the glue this time. As Blinky says, well done on having the determination to push through

I managed to get my Outlaws painted up. Pretty quick to work on and good to work on while catching up with Weekender episodes and avoiding all other human contact.

dmh005

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

So my hobby plans have changed. My local store was doing a sort of mini jumble sale where people could bring minis to sell that they weren’t using and I managed to snag 5 Assault Intercessors for $15, which is a steal, I think, best of all they are already primed, so it bypasses that problem I had! They are primed white and I usually prefer darker colours, but it’s workable and the cost was amazing. So that’s what I’ll be slowly working on. Even managed to bump up my 2nd jab to Monday so I might be feeling a little under the weather in the early week, but it’s worth it to get that 2nd dose.

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

That’s a good bit of bargain hunting right there @crazyredcoat Fingers crossed the second dose doesn’t cause side effects. Did you suffer after the first one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)