Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Con Crud Express?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Con Crud Express?

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Con Crud: how fast can you catch it?
    • Convention Treasures: how deep are your pockets?
    • Pro and Con of conventions

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Find a way to show the people on the interwebs pictures of today.

Answers:

• Fast. Either I had a sudden allergic reaction to something or I caught something. Slight headache, tiny bit dizzy in the noggin.
    • Not very deep. Today there wasn’t much I really wanted. If I was a historical game I might have gone broke today.
    • Pro: you see new stuff and meet people. Con: too many other people. At least for me.

Music of the day is something to relax. Might grab a beer while I’m at it.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Impressions from Hamburg:

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

No pledge. Too knackered this week.

Never had con crud.

I look for new stuff at conventions and treat it is a holiday with a budget of a few hundred quid.

Pro: Chance to see new games from small publishers.

Con: Queues are long and crowds are dense.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sunday, XLBS running and my head feels better. It would be much better hadn’t my wife forgotten to turn of her alarm *sigh*

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve been ill before now after returning from Dragonmeet. But that was also mid-December, so could have picked it up from anywhere on the train/tube or just anywhere generally in big old germ-y London.
    Though when I went last, they were giving out leaflets advising adolescent men about personal hygiene and telling them not to sniff girls hair or something. So I probably did pick it up from the convention.

My pockets are pretty deep for hobby just at the minute. It won’t last. But I lost my mum recently and until Xmas, I was sending her 500 quid a month – so I’ve got quite a bit of spare cash at the minute that I haven’t yet re-assigned to something more useful, so my hobby-fund has been getting a bit of a boost of late! Atm, if I fancy getting something, I get it (hence pulling the trigger on the Army Painter Fanatic Mega Set recently).

The biggest pro of any gaming convention is getting to see the people behind the games/stores. There was a small affair in Worthing recently (called Paradice) that was great fun to go to. But only to breeze around in about an hour and snap up some interesting looking games – I probably could be interested enough to join a play-test group and just sit and play at a table all day – but I’d have to leave my wife at home and just have a day out to myself! So the biggest pro is getting to meet lots of people with a shared love of the hobby.

The downside is, of course, that there are lots of people with a similar love of the hobby there.
    And some of them are – quite frankly – weird.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, weird people at cons is really a con. And it’s always the others! 🙂

Sorry to hear about your loss, I’m not sure if you told us before. I’m terrible at remembering such things. In that regard my brain is like a sieve. @blinky465

Today was a relaxed day and currently there is cinnamon buns in the oven that are ready…. now. Please excuse me while I nom nom myself some buns 8)

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

No pledge this week – I’m away on a business trip half the week. I realised that meant I had to finish my Dungeonalia today so here it is: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1860155/

thumbnail_IMG_1066

• Con Crud: how fast can you catch it? – Presumably quite fast depending on venue size, crowd density and ventilation.
    • Convention Treasures: how deep are your pockets? – I’d usually set a generous budget that I’d be willing to splash – otherwise I’d be too reserved and buy nothing.
    • Pro and Con of conventions – Just a geeky shopping trip for me. I don’t get involved in playing and I don’t really talk to people.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice whipping lady there mate

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Static pictures from Tactica to enjoy:

Hamburger Tactica 2024

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I gave up trying to get my Dungeonalia entry finished by the end of this month a little while back, so no pledge this week! (though I have started another project which has really got me as excited as Head over Heels did when I first started that one too!)

It’s taken me until now to discover this.
    I’m sure many of you will roll your eyes and wonder “where have you been ?”
    But in case there are any other late-to-the-party-types out there, here’s a link to an absolutely brilliant archive of loopable ambient background audio files for your game-playing (or mini painting) pleasures

https://tabletopaudio.com/

Pledge: get back to work on my gorilla

Con Crud: already was sick prior to the one two weeks ago and I’m all better now.

Convention Treasures: this was the beginning of stocking up for Giftmas. It’s like having Cheerios with a dog “Some for you, some for me”.

Pros for conventions: going to panels, having interpersonal time with people in the industry, getting in random games, seeing new stuff, having friendly competition in the mini painting world

Cons for conventions: Gamer funk, the presence of That Guy/Girl in your session, the bleeding of your wallet if you hadn’t saved up prior to going into the vendor’s hall

I really should have bothered you @sundancer prior to Tactica. Werner Klocke apparently was there for Freebooter’s Fate.

Also, belatedly due to postal snafu, to our friend Brother @lloyd

8arfnm

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

I really should have bothered you @sundancer prior to Tactica. Werner Klocke apparently was there for Freebooter’s Fate.

He was and I had a little chat with him. Side-note: he did a video a while back which was basically a blooper reel for the upcoming “the crew explains the rules” series. I asked him “how much rum was involved in making” in a comment and they said “none”. I promised to ask about it at Tactica. So I did. He’s still in denial. Judge for yourself

I also asked him (as almost every time) when Freebooters will start bringing dice. He said “at Spiel”. Now I feel compelled to go to Spiel to ask him again. Might be a trap though!

Tonight I will be filming a  short interview with a German miniature sculptor! Huzzah!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

Think I’m suffering with Weekend-Crud.

Last few weeks on a Monday morning I feel like crap and this week was no different.

Been wide awake since 3am and really don’t feel like walking around in cold and wet all day with sack of mail.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sounds like “I hate my job crud” 😉

Tuesday. uHH tonight, did an interview last night. That’s going to be fun tonight XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)