Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Melting point

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Melting point

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 62 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  zorg 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Has the result of the Spring Clean Challenge 2023 brought you any ideas?
    • Would you have chosen any other project?
    • Are you keeping yourself hydrated? It’s more important then ever right now.

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge? Naaaah… I’m off work. Bottoms up! 8)

Answers:

• No but I really liked the Garden Gnome one 8)
    • I’d be struck with … what do you call it, when you’re unable to do anything? Well that.
    • I try. It’s hard. And way to hot.

Summertime and booze. MUSIC!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

Not paid much attention to spring clean challenge. I was going to paint my old Fellowship minis by Grenadier, but didn’t feel motivated enough.

Don’t usually do a project. I just paint what I need (or try to at least).

Still hydrated.

Pledge: Finish my SAGA leader on beast. It’s nearly there and just need some modification on the sculpt.

• Spring Clean hasn’t brought any new ideas as I’m building for next year already. I admit and agree that the gnome was an interesting departure from our normal fare.
    • I wouldn’t have picked any other project because I got motivated to get off my ass and work on a project that I love.
    • Hydration is essential for my workdays as I’m now outside doing work. Choice words regarding my last boss but I’ve found freedom in work despite the heat.

So far so good on getting through my project. I got the dice tower printed so it’ll be another addendum. Beyond that and the figures I just need to get my custom banners worked out and printed for transfers to call it all good. I’d say the army would be done at that point. The icing on the cake for visual impact is just out of reach as I really don’t want to go back to designing as I just can’t find the digital file for what I had finished previously. Ugh, I’ll drag my feet and huff for a moment as I keep slinging paint.

And now something relevant to the UHH

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

Still hydrated.

@pagan8th  that’s the important part.

I got the dice tower printed

@horati0nosebl0wer “Close the door!” XD #scnr

Cthulu has nothing on uHH! I hope.

Sunday, time for the XLBS. Made me a nice cup of blackness. The first in my days off work in fact. Happy Sunday!

templar007
    52357xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: working on the Studio.  Running some new cables and tidying up the power management stuff.  Organizing some projects that seem to be taking up residence on the presenter table!  Maybe some more practice episode shooting.

Questions:

1) Has the result of the Spring Clean Challenge 2023 brought you any ideas?

Answer:  Lots of good stuff out there in OTT land.  I’ve started new projects as a result.   Didn’t help me clear any out though! 😀

2) Would you have chosen any other project?

Answer: I’ve not had time to watch the Weekender yet! Maybe later today.

3) Are you keeping yourself hydrated? It’s more important then ever right now.

Answer: After many many days either in the triple digits or the very near trips (Fahrenheit) we have caught a break in the heat. Only upper 80’s lately.  Sometimes I drink so much water I think I might wake up with gills!  But some days I do forget to consume as much as I should.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@templar007 cable management is so important. Keeps you from tripping all the time.

@templar007 Cable management makes more sense than personnel management. Hopefully the editing will be short and sweet for your upcoming work.

Cup of blackness

@sundancer that just makes me think of The Mother of 1000 Young and some rite to become one with her. Maybe it’s just the Creepypasta that I’ve been listening to lately which arouses that thought. On that note…. Close the door…Hodor! Or should this be I am Groot?

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer  actually it’s something from the show “Dice Tower”. Don’t know the origin but it was in almost every video at the time I was watching them.

Sidenote: I made cocktails. HUZZAH! 8)

danlee
    22392xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hi everyone.

This weeks pledge is to paint up a certain female Dwarf character model I have.

1. Has the result of the Spring Clean Challenge 2023 brought you any ideas? – No ideas. Cool projects though.
    2. Would you have chosen any other project? – I haven’t looked through them all. Looks like it was a tough call though with so many good projects in there.
    3. Are you keeping yourself hydrated? It’s more important then ever right now. – Always.

danlee
    22392xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m not a robot.

Just noticed that. I guess it’s OTT’s attempt to stop all those adverts for death spells.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

I guess it’s OTT’s attempt to stop all those adverts for death spells.

@danlee yes, pretty much

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Has the result of the Spring Clean Challenge 2023 brought you any ideas?

Absolutely! There were some stunning projects in the spring clean challenge – and many of them were really inspiring. The quality of the paint-jobs was top-notch and I loved the battle-report-as-a-comic idea. Made me want to paint some minis again – so in that respect, they guys can say “mission accomplished”?

Would you have chosen any other project?

I find the OTT website frustratingly cumbersome to use, so don’t spend much time in the project system, so don’t really know what other projects were up for selection. It’s a shame because I used to love browsing the projects for inspiration. I also (many years ago) used to run a project blog and when I wanted to start one up again after lockdown, I thought I’d use the OTT project system as a blog/brain dump. But it’s just not up to it. So I couldn’t say which other projects I might have picked (I guess it’s different for you @sundancer, as you review lots of projects every Tuesday!)

Are you keeping yourself hydrated? It’s more important then ever right now.

My kettle has never been busier!

In other news…. what’s all this about Hornby buying up Warlord? (with an option for complete takeover in future?)

F0n0ZRpWwAERsZW
    I don’t know enough about this story to know if it’s a good thing or not. But having worked with Hasbro and Mattel on bringing products to market (in some cases, not bringing them to market) and Horby themselves (in the 90s when they partnered with Dapol when I lived and worked in Llangollen) I’m instinctively suspicious of how this might turn out (expect lots of re-skinned old games with licenced IP characters). Fingers crossed it doesn’t go down that route….

But Hornby’s already riddled with debt and rising – this looks more like they’re after a slice of the “lucrative but niche” tabletop gaming market in a quick cash-grab. For a company that said in April its prospects were “uncertain” this really doesn’t look like a traditional “investment” (as we might understand it) in the hobby marketplace.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I guess the most important thing in all this is that a 25% stake at £1.25m puts Warlord with a valuation of about £5m.
    And they’re considered quite a “big player” by those in the hobby.
    Games Workshop has a valuation of about £3.5 billion.

That’s quite a difference between “a big player in the hobby” and the real Big Beast Of Wargaming!

@danlee Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto.. lol. It could be worse as in Blade Runner

@blinky465 *raises eyebrows on the nbusiness news* wow.. I’ll have to ask around on the Hornby acquisition. That’s pretty big as I know a few people in my local painting group that do historicals.

As far as tea, I commend your Valiant Teapot (a damn fine name for a mini tank if I ever heard one or perhaps a nickname for a special British unit in Dystpian Wars).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)