Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Music was my first love

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Music was my first love

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  panzerkaput 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42558xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• How important is music to you and why?
    • While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different.
    • Are you excited about the Weekender returning today?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42558xp
    Cult of Games Member

Answers:

• I’d rather give up the hobby then listening to music.
    • Usually I listen to shows and movies I know because the urge to stare at the screen in the smallest then. Everything else just distracts me and leads to dried up brushes.
    • FECK YEAH!

Now, Music:

Am I showing my age here? I think so…. but that’s music that still sends shivers down my spine.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

I have a rainy day off work today and I’ve already watched some classic Doctor Who (The Five Doctors).

My pledge for the weekend is to start painted a few models for the next mission of Rangers of Shadow Deep.
    41006E61-6A9E-4C57-9D62-4F8BAC388F2E
    I also hope to play two more games of Rangers from the current mission I’m on in the Tower of Tor Varden.

How important is music to you and why?

Hmm, so so I guess. I can go quite some time without listening to it but then I do enjoy a good tune. I don’t really follow many singers and I prefer tunes rather than songs. I particularly like to learn complex tunes in my head as it feels like a brain workout (Yep, I’m weird, ha).

While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different.

I tend to watch a variety of YouTube channels when I paint, like the Modelling For Advantage live stream or the Plastic Crack Podcast. But since both of those are live when it’s past my bed time I watch them the next day. I also paint while I watch that Twitch stream on Tuesdays by some guys.

Are you excited about the Weekender returning today?

Oh yes,  very much so.

Here’s some weird music for you…

…and The excellent Public Service Broadcasting

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  demonsub.

spea6712
    15982xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge is to get my diggers painted

20210624_231050

1. Music Is important because it helps express emotions without have to talk to anyone.

2. Do all three I am more productive with music as it stops me just screen watching, Audio books also work well while painting.

3. Defo looking forward to the weekender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqDzb__bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqovGKdgAXY

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  spea6712.

sundancer
    42558xp
    Cult of Games Member

@spea6712 you don’t need to do anything really. Under the video hit the “share” button, copy the link, paste here and hit enter. Done. WordPress does a good job of knowing what to do with those links. Only if you try “fancy stuff” with the URLs it gets stuck.

spea6712
    15982xp
    Cult of Games Member

Cheers for the help still can’t get it to work will try again another day.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

When the software is smart … it helps to be dumb 😉

1) How important is music to you and why?
    It stops the voices from taking over and it beats listening to wind noise during my commute.

2) While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different.

I can’t do two things at the same time, so it would have to be music. TV or movie or anything else that requires my brain would be too distracting for me to get anything done.

3) Are you excited about the Weekender returning today?

Finally … there is no real weekend without an OTTer shouting “The weekend starts now”
    Especially if it is followed by “Indiee … of the Week” and “It’s the *beep* NEWS”

Music ?

Ennio Morricone can’t be mentioned without Ecstasy of Gold and the intro for ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’

Spine tingling good to listen to with your headphones (or on actual speakers if you don’t care about your neighbours 😉 )

Love how the watch music in the scene mixes with the soundtrack during their final confrontation (spoilers)

This feels like it should be a theme song for a tv-series :

And this feels like a rooftop chase :

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

Finished gluing on the last part of the Kingdom Death Monster terrain. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1593676/

thumbnail_IMG_6107thumbnail_IMG_6108

This week’s pledge is still undecided – either another 75mm mini or perhaps more Celts. Time will tell.

1. How important is music to you and why? – On the one hand I have never been passionate about music (as a teenager I bought about one album per year) but on the other hand I listen to music a lot. These days I just subscribe to apple music and can add to my collection whenever I want.
    2. While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different. – I usually put on a video that I can mostly listen to and only need to glance at occasionally. Perhaps a film or TV show I’ve seen before or a youtuber where it could also be a podcast.
    3. Are you excited about the Weekender returning today? – Yep. It has been missed.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  danlee.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Afternoon, chaps! No pledge from me this week, I’m afraid; got a lot of life things to try and sort in a rather short amount of time…but I’ll pop in when I can. The weather here is hot and oppressive…again…so it might head over towards Europe in a week or so. Anyway, questions were asked!

How important is music to you and why?

Like @limburger said; keeps things quiet up in the old noggin. 😛 I can’t stand silence, so music always fills that gap.

While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different.

Always music…every time I try and watch something while painting I get distracted by the thing I’m watching. Even if it’s something I’ve seen thousands of times before.

Are you excited about the Weekender returning today?

It’ll be nice to have it on again, that’s for sure. I like hearing accents from back home. 😛

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Happy weekend folks! I have a surprise four day weekend so managed to get some hobby done earlier and have plenty more to get on with. The weather here is crap and my other weekend plans are all cancelled, sometimes the universe is just telling you to chill out and paint.

Pledge: paint my new Frostgrave warband and hopefully get started on something else too.

Questions:

How important is music to you and why? I listen to music most of the day. I live alone so I don’t need to be mindful of others 🙂 Why? I don’t really know, I’ve just always been surrounded by music. Growing up, my family were always playing records and family meals frequently had music quizzes thrown in as we listened to the radio. I guess it just became a part of how I exist in the world. Weird to think that recorded music is a relatively recent thing when I can’t imagine being without it. I have the musical talent of a fish though
    While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different. Usually an audiobook or a podcast. Around half of my reading for the year done with audiobooks. Took a bit of getting used to but again, I couldn’t imagine living without them now. Mon-Wed I hobby in the evenings to streams, Tuesdays obviously being the highlight ?
    Are you excited about the Weekender returning today? Yeah but I still watch it on a Saturday where possible.

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

With all these music suggestions I might have to have a spaghetti western on over the weekend at some point too!

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • How important is music to you and why?

Music is everything. The music I used to listen to as a kid – mostly simple rock-n-roll tunes – still influence the kind of stuff I love these days – simple, loud, three-chord singalong tunes. I love a lot of “heavy metal” but only to a degree – I still prefer the “punk pop” of the 90s and early 2000s. I’ve never really had much interest in the Hit Parade 😉

At aged seven or eight I discovered Meat Loaf’s Dead Ringer album. It was music like I’d never heard or understood it! (seriously, Love Her For Both Of Us still blows me away). Of course it’s easy to laugh because it’s Meat Loaf, but hey, I was a kid! It also made me want to be a musician. Good music, at the right time, can change everything. About 30% of the population experience pilo-erection when hearing music. Some of us get the same thing even just thinking about a particular song.

Music literally alters your mind. Playing music brings you into contact with people you’d never otherwise probably ever even speak to. It changes your mood – can make you happy, melancholic, excitable, sad…. it’s like the ultimate mind-altering drug!

• While doing hobby would you rather listen to music, a TV Show/movie already know, podcast or something completely different.

I usually have the radio or podcasts on when I’m painting minis. I can’t watch anything – too distracting. Sometimes (if it’s particularly late at night) it can be complete silence.

• Are you excited about the Weekender returning today?

Is it bad to admit I’m a bit ambivalent? It’s nice that there’s something that so many people get a lot out of, but I’ve hardly been on tenterhooks waiting for it’s return. I tend to skip through now (with the Youtube chapters, it’s easy to flick past the bits I know I’ve no interest in)

Pledge? It’s a toughie. I’ve still not finished all my minis with “lego head” black hair – I’m still not happy with how most of the ones I’ve painted have turned out. Maybe this week’s pledge is a repeat of the last?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  blinky465.

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Sadly it’s been a bad pain day for me so there no painting. Managed to watch the Weekender, the Mantic stream and now for some reason… PXL_20210626_155118748

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I love ‘Allo ‘Allo. 😛 I sometimes make references to it at school, but over here no one has really seen it… The person who gets the most of my references to it is a friend from Lyon and none of my Canadian friends know what it is…

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat please avoid Europe while this Event (stay indoors) is still happening.
    You shouldn’t be patient zero for your country when you return 😉

(definitely avoid Amsterdam if you do visit … it’s a boring tourist trap and the weed you seek is available everywhere … )

fun fact : I was visiting my dad yesterday and saw a queue of a dozen people in front of one of them ‘coffee shops’ that exist in that city. And unlike the average queue at stores people kept their distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)