Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Paint all the things 2022

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Paint all the things 2022

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Have you got 42 (or more) miniatures that need painting?
    • Do you have planned something for October 2022?
    • Can I interest you in the Paintathon 2022?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge: try to finish my paintathon 2022. But I’m getting ahead of myself! First we need answers!

• Yes, in fact I do have a little over 42 miniatures that could use some paint. *cough*
    • No but yes. At least not for the complete month. Why do I ask?
    • Oh yes indeed, please elaborate!

So, paintathon 2022 is the annual event of getting together for painting minis and seeing actual progress. Like in a marathon we have a long way to go (the whole month of October) and try to finish 42 miniatures.

That number is arbitrary and you don’t need to do as many. (Or as little if you’re a painting machine like @tuffyears and @panzerkaput) Paint any number of minis you’d like to and feel comfortable. Just look out here and on social media for the hashtags #malathon2022 (German) #paintathon2022 (RoW)

I’m going to start in October with 20 soldiers from Frostgrave and then there are already plans for more. Here’s a link to the project:

Totally not a project with a purpose!

Join me and the others and while you’re at it listen to some fine music:

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

I didn’t paint anything last week as I got back into playing the video game Hollow Knight, but I did prepare this lot.

C280F18A-EB21-465D-8E00-78E06C53FCB8
    My Midlam city guard Kickstarter pledge and two models from Crooked Dice.

So for my pledge I hope to paint the two Crooked Dice models first, playing with contrast paint and normal paint to see what I get. Then I’ll start work on the Midlam miniatures.

Have you got 42 (or more) miniatures that need painting?

Urm, yes, probably many multiples of 42.

Do you have planned something for October 2022?

Probably my pledge above and a long awaited Northumbrian Tin Soldier vampire bat and some witches that I got last October.

Can I interest you in the Paintathon 2022?

Probably but I can’t promise 42 miniatures. I’ll certainly use the hashtag though.

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions:

Answer:

Yes!    ….  Or NO if your planning on telling my wife?

Questions:

Do you have planned, something for October 2022?

Answer:

Yes ……..  But I’m not putting it in the projects area yet……….(I’ve heard rumors……….that there are watching eyes even in private mode) 🥺

Questions:

Answer:

Sounds intriguing.  I await the details!

Have a Great Hobby Weekend my fellow Hobby Buddies!

CoG ON!!!! 🤓👍

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@templar007  I don’t need to tell your wife… she knows… trust me. She. Knows.

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

🤫  just in case!

HaHa

(I’m going to need some Hobby this weekend.  I just found out that my SUV won’t start, (fuel pump more than likely) … had to drive the backup car.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

I got the squats on order from OTT store, but in the meantime i got to finish this box’o’sceanery

20220930_135506

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

You’ll be done in a few hours won’t you? *g*

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish the wood elf army, having been able to buy the required paints last weekend.

1. Have you got 42 (or more) miniatures that need painting? – No. Thought I would with the 10mm wood elves but as I’m now down to characters there aren’t that many.
    2. Do you have planned something for October 2022? – Not particularly.
    3. Can I interest you in the Paintathon 2022? – Maybe next year. The hobby bingo is my thing for this year and I just want to focus on that.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

And so it begins. Paintathon 2022.

But not with painting. I assembles yet another mini. It’s the “Adult Red Dragon” from the “D&D Collector’s series” that was part of a bundle of stuff. Some may remember why this rather expensive “mini” was in the box: it’s missing it’s wings.

At first I thought I would “simply” buy some other cheap dragon toy and swap wings. But i couldn’t find anything big or cheap enough. Now I’ve decided to simply build “as is” and putty the shit out of the missing bits.

Oh boy what a can oaf worms this already is. The resin parts don’t fit well besides the head. Which is a relief as the head has the most details. I’ll be doing A LOT of filling on this one before I can even think about painting.

Next step I’m pondering about: should I do a simple base coat now to make gaps more visible or just go to town with filler and then prime and work on anything that pops up later?

How is your weekend so far? Enjoy the silence!

jamescutts
    6816xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Have you got 42 (or more) miniatures that need painting?

Yes, I think I can count 42 boxes of miniatures, does that count?

• Do you have planned something for October 2022?

Yes, Crack Con 3 – The Crack of Doom, where once again I’ll be putting on a game of blood & plunder, I’ve about 42 miniatures I’d like to paint for it and two weeks to get it done in.

• Can I interest you in the Paintathon 2022?

I think I’ve probably already started?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

8 hours later… I had a bunch of home made cinnamon buns and noodles with fresh made pesto for dinner… I don’t dare to move XD

@jamescutts I do think you have mate

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve that many alone come off the print plate just this week.

Do you have planned something for October 2022?
    What, like going away to visit family? Yep.

I think I prefer the 30-minutes a day approach over the “paint x minis before this deadline” because it’s like putting a deadline on every single day. I need deadlines to work to (otherwise nothing ever gets done).
    So, yep, I’m interested. But probably won’t take you up on it. But thanks for the invite anyway 😉

In other news, I tried slapchop. I’m rubbish at it. In particular, it turns out I’m rubbish (i.e. terribly slow) at drybrushing. But I think I’ll stick with it – some of you guys are getting great-looking results, so it’s definitely worth persisting with!

Here’s your music.

Yes, it’s a BB King blues track. And, yes, there’s a blues jam this Sunday where I’ll be giving it a go (original style) for my first time. But this 70’s disco version is just brilliant.

Pledge: Paint things!!!

I do indeed have more than 42 minis to paint. I’m on them right now to dwindle those numbers.

I have an Orktober project already here.

Paintathon? I’ll keep hammering out stuff but I’ll see if I can up my numbers.

I think I saw something about Punkapocolyptic… music for the score

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well here is my update as of 16:00 Saturday my time………….

45 mins of Hobby wedged in between working on diagnosis of my SUV not wanting to start on Friday morning.

Cleaned Hobby Studio √

Organized projects that have lived on the Studio table for far too long & labeled tubs with said projects.  Dusted & checked studio cameras with attention to cabling that transfers video signal to central control switch board.

Sadly, most of my Friday night and Saturday has been eaten up with the vehicle problems.  It’s not the fuel pump.  After running down the diagnostic list it now looks like it’s a dead Coil.  None of the local parts houses carry the coil by itself.  So I’ve had to order one through the MIGHTY Amazon.  Tuesday it should get here.

Maybe Hobby tonight and Sunday…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)