Skip to toolbar

[unofficial Weekender] P(r)ost Salute 51

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial Weekender] P(r)ost Salute 51

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Did you attend Salute 51 or watched the OTT blog? If so, did anything grab your attention?

And now back to the show.

#####################

laughingboy
    20673xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge which I have already started is to build and start painting the Moonstone miniatures I picked up at the event but also Salute 51 mini as I always paint it every year after the show.

I did a video “report” It is more just a chat on my experience there, it was a great day out. I missed last year’s Salute 50 which I was gutted about but since putting the video live someone has contacted me that they have a spare Salute 50 mini for me. chuffed about that.

Have a great week everyone.

https://youtu.be/2LlwI1deqxc

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: maybe get some painting done. Currently way back behind again. Dang it!

Answers:

Armoured Clash. Looking forward to that. Other than that I didn’t spot anything really catching my attention.

Music:

Have some British Steel:

mellett68
    Participant
    2234xp

My pledge is a bit new year’s resolution of me: I am going to make an effort to be more active in bringing my favourite games to the club rather than passively going with the flow all the time. I always threaten to do it but never get myself organised.

Salute 51 was a great success. We saw some familiar faces who’d come back to find us after last year which was really flattering and there was lots of positivity around our game throughout the show so we were thrilled by that. Icing on the cake was being awarded best in show which none of us saw coming.

As usual I staggered around in a daze when I got a break so I’m sure I missed loads of stuff but a great selection of games on offer with a top atmosphere. Really liked the Tintin-themed Pulp Alley table, the Stalingrad What a Tanker table and the giant renaissance city build, that was a thing of beauty.

Not much of a haul but I did get some more Burrows and Badgers (automatic buy) and bought into Silver Bayonet Canada which should be a really fun project.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

Pledge is to continue painting everything in MBP: Pandora box…

Today I was working on the snakey ones – contrast paints for the lazy paint job 🙂

Didn’t go to Salute as I had that work thing thats keeps me busy monday to saturday, but I will be going to UK Games Expo.

The Last Drifters by Fyndoria caught me eye so I may check that out at the Expo. I always take a list of new stuff and out of print stuff to look out for at the expo… it’s a long list… but out of print is hard to find.

redscope
    Participant
    2708xp

My pledge this week is carry on with the D-Day plans for flames of war. I have the command HQ, and support teams to finish.

I also need to start working on the second phase of my Spring City build project. I bought a new gaming mat for the docks at Salute this weekend so I have run out of excuses now not to start it.

Salute 51 was a lot of fun. I think the highlight is meeting old friends, talking to people you only see through the youtube channels. The high point for me for me was the Orne River attack display board which was just amazing. It is odd looking back at the blog and so much I missed on the day like the Halo game and the other new warlord game.

Guard of Traitor’s Toll grabbed my attention the most. But in terms of purchase it was a lot of the “smaller” companies with the older school metal models i went for. I think i blew my 3 month hobby budget in a day.

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

checks date … oh I didn’t miss the new unofficial weekender start after all 😉

I’ve only seen the live blog of Salute. It looks like a weekend show done in a single day. Total sensory overload, but worth seeing in the flesh I bet. I’m surprised at how widely spaced the event was.

The Halo game looked exactly like the thing I never knew I wanted … at least that’s how I explain pre-ordering it before seeing the demo 😉 (I kind of trust Mantic to know what they’re doing and the video showed that I was right so far 😀 )

On a related note I missed the yearly gaming event because I was busy with my new house, which sucked because it’s always great to see games in real life. Would have loved to see if there was more wargaming going on.

Anways … 1:1 terrain aka my new house has been keeping me busy. So glad it’s not an actual ‘fixer upper’, but there’s more to do and think about. A lot of the stuff really is time vs money. I’ve spent several days prepping and painting the walls of one room, which the professionals would have done in a single day. Most of that time was spent acquiring the various bits and pieces needed. In an ideal world I’d be painting the other rooms after getting home from work, but while working on that first one I noticed how useful actual daylight is.

Finally got internet up and running as well. It’s been almost the same as when I got my appartment where I had my computer setup before anything else 😀

Plans for my hobby room are slowly materializing. I hope the thing I am wanting to do actually works.
    It would be soo damned cool. I’m working slightly above my skill set on this one, but I think it is worth the risk.
    I can’t show progress, because I’m waiting for one vital part to arrive. I will need a few extra bits and bobs, but those will need to wait a bit as I need the main part first. (yes … all very mysterious, but that’s fun 😛 )

I am sort of documenting progress in picture format, because I think it needs its own project.

And while all of that is happening I need to find time to prepare packing all of the bits that need to move to their new home.

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to continue working on my spring clean challenge. I should be able to finish assembly of the main models. I’ll try to get out this weekend and shop for a suitable box to frame it.

Salute 51 was a great day out for me. It’s only the second time I’ve been, and the last time was several years ago now.

thumbnail_IMG_1280

I bought some multi-award winning moonstone miniatures. Some fairies will be a nice challenge.

The rogue hobbies new pirate miniature was bought as I enjoyed doing the last rogue hobbies model I painted, and I wanted to give rogue hobbies some support. I got to meet Louise Sugden and have a quick chat.

The salute mini was a female pirate. Not sure what I’ll do with it but I’m sure I’ll use it for something.

I picked up some Iron Man models at a reduced price. He’s always been my favourite Marvel hero and it will be interesting to try and paint a red metallic model.

At the time I was six episodes through the eight episode Fallout TV series, which I was really enjoying. When I saw the Fallout game stand I couldn’t help diving in to pick up some models. This kit seems to be a good one to represent the core characters from the show.

I also got to meet up with Ben and Gerry for a quick chat which was great.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

At the time I was six episodes through the eight episode Fallout TV series, which I was really enjoying. When I saw the Fallout game stand I couldn’t help diving in to pick up some models. This kit seems to be a good one to represent the core characters from the show.

@danless you do know there is an actual set of minis for the show from Modiphius?

https://www.modiphius.net/products/fallout-the-series-miniatures-set

Didn’t get much hobby done the last few days for “reasons”. Most of them being me being tired and knackered. It’s hay fever time again.

Watched half of the Fallout TV show and still undecided about it. Major flaws for me: the story is “meh” and they did so much right on the set dressing that seeing the cars in that universe being “not correct” really bugs me.

Here’s hoping I get some hobby done tonight.

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer The stall had signs for that kit on top of the generic heroes box that I bought. I think it was a bit misleading. I’m not too fussed. I’ll paint the ones I have and pick the other set up at some point in the future.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, I forgot that the kit for the TV show is an actual pre-order.

It’s Friday, the site is back. Will there be a Weekender this week? And an XLBS?

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

survey says : there’d better be or else …

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

Making steady progress on my spring clean project. It’s a bit on the big side. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1660768/

thumbnail_IMG_1299

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s not Rome … so it can’t be *that* big @danlee 😉

Sketch of my own project :

Screenshot 2024-04-21 160321

The green surface will of course cover the entire thing.
    For some reason TinkerCad restricted the size of parts, which is why not everything is a single piece.

However the table surface is in two parts, because I doubt I could get the entire thing upstairs.The Ikea Kallax boards were enough trouble.

I’ve found a (Dutch) website that can cut wood to order. They will deliver on 4/5 if things go according to plan. As the table required two full sized MDF sheets I’ve also ordered extra bits cut so there are practically zero leftovers. It comes finished with rounded edges and primed, so in theory it’s ready to use when it arrives. Things will be very interesting 😀

I am planning to add lights into or on top of the surface, but that will have to wait even though I’ve got the lights as I’m re-thinking that part of the concept because as is the lights may not be bright enough to be visible when covered.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 173032

PLEDGE: Post more stuff and prove I’m not dead (like now)

Salute caught my attention with the Wars of Ozz and the news regarding the eventual comeback of Chronopia. I hope to get some minis from both lines as I was inspired to do more armies. Yes, I said more armies @sundancer. I was even putting thought to Alice in Wonderland and all the Warriors you could make with the playing card motif (I suppose if you went with the Malifaux Fate Deck you could get 11 and 12 for some Levy).

Beyond that, being very quiet for some time is the byproduct of working on things in the background.

@laughingboy good to see that luck fall on you for the figure. Finding the minis we want can be a chore at times.

@mellett68 New Years is still with us after we shake off the coat of dust we’ve collected in the meantime.

@pagan8th Snakes? Will we be getting planes?

@redscope Yes.. the faint notion of what a hobby budget escapes us all sometimes

@limburger more of that 1:1 terrain build. Those prices must be astronomical and such a pain when trying to use tweezers on the grass tufts

@danlee Does Gerry actually speak Sherwook or just Standard Basic? We can only assume that out resident wookie is bilingual.

On the subject of Rome… will that or sheep actually ever be built/painted?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)