Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] rise and fall of kickstarter

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] rise and fall of kickstarter

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• When backing a miniatures only project: do you break down the pledge levels to “costs per mini”?
    • How to you “value” a miniature only project? What has the most value in it for you?
    • Have you ever stepped back from a crowd funding project because it just went over a certain threshold? Be that “in total” or “per mini”

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Bot War!

Answers:

• Yes even though I know that is not really fair when the minis provided are “not equal” in size and all. But that’s how my brain works.
    • Minis that are unique are worth more to me than a giant box of similar minis.
    • Not yet as such but I am afraid with the current Morgue Miniatures KS I’m going to have a long discussion with myself. It’s bigger then the last 3, charges more p&p (for a good reason) and now there is a Brexit fee coming with that on top. To reference the first question: the cost per mini went from 5.25GBP (undead) to 6.25GBP (Hellions) to now 7.71GBP (Battlefield Bones) The total cost of the projects went from 21GPB to 25GPB to 54GBP.

Also Atomic Mass Games have asked for a conference call with my wallet last night with all their upcoming releases. Still trying to recover from that.

Music to relax:

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

Pledge this week is to paint some of my Moonstone backlog, now that Sláine is done for the time being.

Sadly no game for me tomorrow so we’re having a hobby hangout over WhatsApp instead.

When backing a miniatures only project: do you break down the pledge levels to “costs per mini”?

This is something I never do, I just look at the total cost vs how much I want the miniatures.

How to you “value” a miniature only project? What has the most value in it for you?

It comes down to how much I like the miniatures and how much interest I have in painting them. I don’t really think about what game I could use them for, something will turn up.

Have you ever stepped back from a crowd funding project because it just went over a certain threshold? Be that “in total” or “per mini”

Not yet. One of the first things I look at before pledging is to see roughly how much the postage will cost, then at what pledge level I’d like to go for. If the minimum cost is good I’ll go ahead and pledge. In most cases if I like what I’m seeing I’m quite happy to pledge more.

For music here’s some synth wave.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

The only mini only project I backed was Blacklist first Fantasy Box which was pre-covid and good value for my needs. Other projects like Mythic Battle Pantheon, Carnevale, Village Attacks, Widowers Wood, Endure the Stars, Zombicide Black Plague also include a game… but I mostly wanted the minis for other things… so they sort of count.

When determining value of a project I add the postage to the cost and then divide by number of minis I actually want in the project (there are often some things I don’t need).

If I’m using minis for RPG enemies, or skirmish then multiples of same mini are important, but if I want unique minis ar PCs, NPCs or just unusual/hard to find figures that’s the key factor.

I have dropped out of mini project if the price per mini exceeded what I considered it value in of quality, quantity and size.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to finish my current model. Not really feeling it at the moment. Guess I’m just too tired most evenings to be motivated.

1. When backing a miniatures only project: do you break down the pledge levels to “costs per mini”? – No. Model only kickstarters aren’t my thing anyway.
    2. How do you “value” a miniature only project? What has the most value in it for you? – It would be whether it had unique and interesting models to add to my collection or not.
    3. Have you ever stepped back from a crowd funding project because it just went over a certain threshold? Be that “in total” or “per mini”. No. Generally once I’ve made the decision to back a project at a certain level I stick to it.

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

1. When backing a miniatures only project: do you break down the pledge levels to “costs per mini”?

2. How do you “value” a miniature only project? What has the most value in it for you?

I buy miniatures for tabletop gaming, so it’s quantity over quality for me! 😀 Plastics, I’ll pay less than $.75 (or $1 for larger or higher quality) per mini before postage. Metal and resin $3. However, I’ve noticed that plastics (eg. CMON) have been catching up with the niches and tabletop gaming quality that only metals and resins had. If aI  KS offers to fill a “hole” in my collection, then I’m interested. Funny how more holes keep appearing as I buy more mini’s…

3. Have you ever stepped back from a crowd funding project because it just went over a certain threshold? Be that “in total” or “per mini”.

I don’t quite understand the question. Are you asking if I’ve had second-thoughts of pledging based on price per mini (a consumer question), or whether or not a project may have become too large for a creator to handle (a risk question).

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

1) When backing a miniatures only project: do you break down the pledge levels to “costs per mini”?
    Nope.
    The problem is that it assumes the value of the mini remains the same after the project hits retail.
    They tend to claim that “save on RRP” … but we all know that the recommended retail price is never what you pay in shops anyway.
    I also tend to prefer projects that have either easy pre-picked selections or an ‘all in’ option, because I usually go for ‘all in’ anyway. The 1$ option is for people who don’t understand that you should only use money you could afford to burn on a kickstarter …

My choice to back boils down to :
    (a) does the project offer something unique to the hobby ?
    (b) do I want to use it myself and would it fit within any of the games I (want to) play

2) How to you “value” a miniature only project? What has the most value in it for you?
    the same as any project : total cost vs postage/shipping costs …
    The ‘all in’ tiers tend to offer most value …

3) Have you ever stepped back from a crowd funding project because it just went over a certain threshold? Be that “in total” or “per mini”

The only thing that ever stops me is when shipping costs are higher than the (assumed) value of the product itself, unless I really really really ‘need’ the thing.
    I never drop out once committed.
    If I’m not sure I simply ‘save’ the project and check when it is about to end.
    If I still ‘want’ it then I will back it.
    Any other result means I’m not backing it.
    Net result is that I never back out once I have comitted myself.

Pledge :
    Reorganising and sorting my pile of opportunity … it’s a lot of work and I’m soo easily distracted.
    I also need to find a good storage solution once done. Probably will pick based on potential storage capacity as opposed to how ‘good’ it looks. The “really useful boxes” are really cool, if a bit expensive.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ced1106 I meant: were you ever just about to back a project but then didn’t because you found it “not worth it” or “too expensive”

Cost per mini is a good way of seeing rough value. Other variables of material cost and the size make their mark in figuring that out as well.

I valuate miniature only projects by the artistic motifs and the likelihood that I will keep them for play or display.

I’ve not gone into projects because of the aesthetic and because of the price per mini. I’ve been pretty good about making it a cut and dry process on cost from the KS that I’ve backed before.

Pledge: collect my commission cash and do some work for my Giftmas presents to my nephews. I might do something for myself again one day

@johnlyons The true calling of a young John. You were born in the wrong time and place

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_zZeWpJ9Hg%3Flist%3DTLPQMDgwNjIwMjK5xCAfXgBwnQ

@sundancer Convince John he was in the right place at the right time

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer because Legion now get affordable boxes? Yes @johnlyons  now is the time to go all in on Legion… once the Battle Force Boxes are on preoorder *g*

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer he may still search ebay and pay more before those new boxes ship 😉
    it is AMG after all … and they haven’t exactly been reliable in the logistics department.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Saturday.

So funny thing. After answering the questions here yesterday I went and backed the current Midlam Miniatures Kickstarter. It’s for 10 miniatures and only £25 including postage. I thought why not. Oh, and there’s only 19 hours left when I type this.

I’ve finished my first Moonstone model of the weekend, Agatha Tavernfrau. A delight to paint.

60B32910-6A6A-45B3-82D8-F3D4D6AD1301

Hopefully I’ll get another painted in a few more days.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Does she hit people with those beersteins ?

I shall not look at more moonstone miniatures …

this will not be my bot war 😉

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

She has a rule called Dutch Courage, which help nearby friendlies. I suppose fighting over those Moonstones is thirsty work.

I shall not look at more moonstone miniatures …

Join us, you know you want to ?

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

> @ced1106 I meant: were you ever just about to back a project but then didn’t because you found it “not worth it” or “too expensive”

All. The. Time. 😀

Oh, and Dungeons and Lasers 4 starts in a few days. Follow on Gamefound now for your overpriced free mini. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)