Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Second Wind – breathing new life into old IPs

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Second Wind – breathing new life into old IPs

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Old becomes new – Old licences getting a reboot. Not only does G’Wullu give WHFB a new lease on life but also games like Relics, VOID and Armoured Clash keep coming back. Is that a good thing? Should things stay in the dark depth of the past?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: keeping the hobby ball rolling. With any luck the current batch of SW:L is finally done before eastern!

My answer:

• It’s a double edged sword. Rules from years past might not hold up to some of today’s standards and a complete rework of the rules might break the loving memory. Some for miniatures: use the classic sculpts and molds and people will be happy to complete their collection but it might not appeal to a wider market. But as for most things in life: Variations are the spice of life. The more choice we have the higher the chance to finde the one thing you like. I’m all for trying to give games and mins a second chance. 🙂

No music video today because the only sound I hear is the washing machine right now. Might change later 😉

pagan8th
    Participant
    9268xp

Are you ‘washing that man right out of your hair?’

Old as new is tricky as you say.

As I get older I want simple rules especially for RPG’s. The thought playing Rolemaster or Pathfinder with all the crunchiness is a daunting prospect… so I won’t.

Same with skirmish games. From what I recall of Warhammer FRB 2e a battle would take 4+ hours. Now I only get 90 mins to 2hrs for a battle and that’s why I’m looking at rules light, or small scale games.

And there’s the rose tinted glasses. What you remember from your youth is nostalgia and when you look closely it’s not always as good as you remember.

No pledge this week. Just had a week off and going to be hard enough returning to work, so can’t handle to pressure of hobby commitments.

maldroth
    10xp
    Cult of Games Member

I like seeing some old games come back and are in circulation again. I totally realize there is a nostalgia effect but it is neat to see some of these mechanics back again. But I also agree I like some of the modern streamlining we’ve had to reduce time spent in books and more time playing the game at the table. I’d say I’m about in the middle of wanting simple and crunch. Give me a game that lets me plot and plan options between games but at the table is simple enough to run without needing to grab the book for each move. Supplemental items like tokens, cards, and other aids are handy but shouldn’t be required. I don’t need more games that have their own custom symbol dice that you then have to hunt down when the game goes out of print. I’m looking at you Fantasy Flight Games.

My pledge is to get some further work done on my 15mm Romans and update my project for them. I’d like to get the horses and chainmail done at least for the weekend.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9268xp

Custom dice are a pain. I don’t mind weird symbols on the 6 or something as it’s still a d6.

But FFG dice for star wars (the entire range) effectively require you to learn a language like heiroglyphics. And why did the Genysys system have to be slightly different dice symbols?

The One Ring is one of my favourite RPG’s and that has custom d12.  Freeleague screwed that one in original print run by making the dice 2 to 11 instead of 1 to 10 (with the two runes). Annoyingly they still sell those faulty dice in my local games shop. They should have been recalled.

ced1106
    Participant
    6210xp

And how many Star Wars games do we have???

At least it was better than the very old days, when you’d have an IP slapped on a terrible game, especially when it came to kids. You’d have a blue, red, green, and yellow color of the main character in the series, it’s like they didn’t even try. At least with today’s hobby games, there’s at least one IP-game that’s worth playing and whose mechanics reflect the game. Don’t worry, it’ll be cancelled only a few years ago, when the company needs to “refresh” the IP.

As for rulesets, I’ve seen the occasional ruleset that was a step down. And, of course, GW keeps cranking out new editions, while MtG makes your cards obsolete while so you can discover new strategies (ie. learn new rules) with the newest sets (ie. spend more money). KS hasn’t helped, with shorter cycles for game content, although Hasbro did have WotC crank out more new editions of D&D in several years than D&D’s entire lifetime.

Sorry. What were we talking about? 😛

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

And how many Star Wars games do we have???

Yes.

FFG did a number on some systems with the amount of dice but as for Legion and X-Wing I feel it wasn’t too bad. Max of 4 different symbols that are pretty easily learned. To be honest I would find it much harder to remember numbers that relate to certain results than an actual picture on a die. That being said FFG/AMG could sell those dice for a lot less I reckon.

Sorry. What were we talking about?

I think it was Star Wars but I’m not sure.

But in all seriousness I think rose tinted glasses, nostalgia and the want to relive a part of your life is a big part of the current wave of “old made new”. But at the same time I do look at games with bloated rule sets like W’hamster 40k and I feel “less can be more”. When games morph into simulations it gets tiresome for me to play them. (Hence why we here currently play Battletech with little more than the core rules + clan invasion)

Also: spring clean challenge 2024! Just as I have finished a block of SW:L minis. I updated my project but man did the Project System fight me… almost an hour to get all pictures up an running XD

Sort of a spring clean

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

New thread! Grab it while it’s hot!

[unofficial weekender] Bunnies and chocolate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)