Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] The end of it all

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] The end of it all

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Last Friday of leave/time off work. What movie to watch?
    • Are there any good movies/documentaries on the subject of all things tiny fighting men that isn’t overwhelmingly portrayed via historical games and/or Whamster?
    • Are there any good DVDs out there to buy on the subject that are affordable and good?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: paint and/or build something for Frostgrave

Answers:

• Seriously I have no clue hence my asking!

Video of the day: extensive base building tutorial. That dude invents so much great things. I’m sure he’ll make it one day! 8)

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

My pledge is to enhance an mdf landing pad that I’ve had a while and have only been sprayed grey. I want add some hazard stripes and maybe some white landing marks.

I don’t want to start on some new miniatures just yet as my Sláine wave 2 preorder has just been dispatched and I’m expecting a Kickstarter from Midlam miniatures soon.

I’m drawing a blank when it comes to wargames movies or DVDs. The only one I can think of is Miniature Wargames The Movie – https://miniaturewargamingthemovie.com/ but good luck finding a way to play it as the options outside the US are very limited. I haven’t watched is because I don’t want to sign up to the Sky store and that’s the only way to see it in the UK.

Other than that I can only think of The Eye of The Beholder which talks about the art and artists of Dungeons and Dragons, with interviews of Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley and many others. It’s pretty good, especially if you like the art from some of the older D&D stuff like Dragonlance. Not really miniatures related.

I’d say go watch a good fantasy movie like Krull, Willow, The Beastmaster or Conan The Barbarian. They probably offer more inspiration for the fantasy miniature hobbyist than most videos.

Here’s an old short video with Ben Elton from 1984 on Games Workshop

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

What movie ?
    There’s a Buzz Lightyear movie on Disney+ … not sure if it is good though. Also not sure why they decided to make him a bit more realistic. I thought the Lightyear cartoons kind of leaned into the fact that it was a cartoonish show …

Fun fact : I still haven’t watched that miniature wargames movie despite owning a copy from the kickstarter.
    OTOH … I haven’t watched any of my dvd’s in my collection for years for some reason. I think my computer & videogames are providing the distractions I need ?
    Also need to start digitizing my dvd’s just to be sure they can be used.

Plans for the weekend ?
    = make my bike road worthy (replacing tires + inner tubes should do that)
    = visit my dad (he’s been having dark thoughts and I really need to find a way to fix that … )
    = visit the local fair (’cause sugar coated peanuts are extra tasty when they are fresh)

Also #Moonstone … something something …

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

It took seven days of packing, loading, driving, unloading and unpacking – followed by building furniture every evening this week – but now I’m ready to start doing some hobby again. Update on progress so far here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1755185/

This weeks pledge is to do some more sorting out.

• Last Friday of leave/time off work. What movie to watch? – I know you’ve watched a Star Wars movie recently, so I’d go with a Marvel movie. Cool action easy watching.
    • Are there any good movies/documentaries on the subject of all things tiny fighting men that isn’t overwhelmingly portrayed via historical games and/or Whamster? – Miniature Wargaming: The Movie is really good.
    • Are there any good DVDs out there to buy on the subject that are affordable and good? – See my above answer.

Pledge: complete one figure this week…. though I have a few more that will be added material for one of my projects due before Monday.

I’m not feeling the urge to search weird music right now as I’m very busy after kicking my own ass into gear with painting.

Rock&Rule – classic animation and great music for a fun time film

I don’t know of any documentaries on our hobby. I did a quick search and “Miniature Wargaming The Movie” popped up. No idea about quality of the product.

If you’re asking about affordable tutorials then I’d say check out the videos by James Wappel on YouTube. You’d be beating your head against a desk before switching to oils (not difficult if you just take an intro oil painting class) only for the cost of materials. I don’t know the quality of the info from Hot Lead by Laszlo Jakusovszky but the covers look interesting. The same goes for Jenn Haley’s dvd on Darksword although Marike Reimer shows a lot of repeated thin layering in hers.

Does anyone know much about Raspberry Pi and how to do micro controls? I’m asking… for a friend?… for shits and giggles?… for Science?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I know as much that Raspberry Pi’s are more mini like computers that can do micro controls.
    Arduino are the things that are more like dedicated micro controllers. Both are stupendously cheap too for what you get.
    And because they’re both aimed at teaching kids/people about electronics there’s a variety of kits out there that include a few bits and pieces to help you get started.

The one thing you really need is a good power supply because usb-chargers aren’t reliable enough if you’re running the pi 24/7. The official websites tend to give you the option of buying one that is suitable.

https://www.arduino.cc/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

As with anything it helps to have some idea of what you’re wanting to do.
    There’s also the resident OTT electronics wizard to ask for help if you can summon him.

Yes, @limburger I do have a direct line to The Wizard Of Tabletop and eventhough he is quite kind he’s a bit busy at the moment. I have only a small idea of adding sound to a large model as the kits I’ve seen require atleast a 20x50mm space just for the pc card. The thought of an onboard battery makes my head slide into toymaking and mini engineering as I remember all the exposure I had as a kid to the electronics of Star Wars and the like. I know this year’s Orktober isn’t going to need it but perhaps I could do something radical for next year as Gerry had smoke for his Stompa. Its all an idea right now and I could scrap it and take my learning in a different direction.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

which reminds me of a thing I saw at the world scale model expo …

Home

Not exactly cheap (50 Euro for a set with a jet engine light effect + sound ), but otoh you don’t need to be a wizz-ard to make it work.
    I’ve only seen them work at the World Model Expo event I was at and of course there’s pictures and videos at their site.

Getting back and reporting about finished minis that are part of my old mini project

Old-lead12

Old-lead13

Old-lead11

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Monday morning.

Back in the mines.

Nice work there horatio.

Need more coffee!

Is everybody just outside in full view of that daystar thing and not painting? Did everyone jump ship to Discord for hobby news? Is the site only good for premium video access and potentially finding interesting projects anymore? Its like being some of the last people after a nuclear blast. In this, I think you lot are more near and dear to me in being around.

Good news, I may have snagged a normie at work. The young gentleman is interested in knights and I will feed this slowly. You can’t mainline plastic crack immediately with the young ones.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is everybody just outside in full view of that daystar thing and not painting? Did everyone jump ship to Discord for hobby news? Is the site only good for premium video access and potentially finding interesting projects anymore?

A combination of all and also yes. Also forums seem not to draw people anymore and one can only post so much before becoming annoying. I’m doing my part, others need to chime in on their own.

In good news: I received two Kickstarters!

• Battlefield Bones by Morgue Miniatures (LINK)
    • Tricksy Leprechauns by Oakbound Studio (LINK)

Bad news: both had VAT and “additional shipping charges” attached to them. The small Leprechauns pledge (8GBP) doubled in price and the Battlefield Bones (46GBP) added almost 50%. I won’t be backing anything anymore from UK at these rates unless VAT etc is priced in the pledge. The simple fact that the added costs are calculated on the given value of the contents in GBP means it’ll vary much depending on the daily exchange rate. You can’t even calculate it. Not having that anymore :S

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is everybody just outside in full view of that daystar thing and not painting?

Not me. I’m staying in watching classic Tom Baker Doctor Who and playing with my new toys.

Speaking of which I got my Sláine phase 2 delivered today and I’ve updated my project with pics and a few thoughts.

76A77CCF-4BF7-47AE-8A4A-8275C7D89D12
    I’ll be starting with the bear and the boar as they’ll be useful for a game of Frostgrave I’m planning for this coming Saturday.

Also here’s my finished landing pad I said I was touching up. I’m pretty happy with it.

1296AB1B-064A-49E6-B325-893471FE9977

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s a nice looking landing pad. What is the manufacturer there @demonsub ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)