Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Weird world

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Weird world

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Has the current political situation in eastern Europe changed your hobby in any way?
    • Are you still taking care of yourself?
    • Why do I still read comment sections on YouTube?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hobby pledge: do some more work on the Heresy Mini minis… they really do take some time…

Answers:

• Not to a noticeable degree yet…
    • I try to
    • Because I am a glutton for punishment it seems.

Also: yes, still waiting for my Bot War 2 Turbo box… thanks for reminding me…

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

My pledge is to really really try to finish my big bear miniature that I started last week (too much Elden Ring, over 110 hours now).

Has the current political situation in eastern Europe changed your hobby in any way?

Not yet. So far brexit has cause more problems ordering from Europe.

Are you still taking care of yourself?

I have a cold, it’s my first in about 3 years. Eurrr.

Why do I still read comment sections on YouTube?

Because you like to see what people have said about your video. Also what scale is A Billion Suns?

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

All of the scales!

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to continue the Ork Mech.

1. Has the current political situation in eastern Europe changed your hobby in any way? – No.
    2. Are you still taking care of yourself? – Mostly. You have to learn to walk away from things that will overload you.
    3. Why do I still read comment sections on YouTube? – You’re a masochist?

pagan8th
    Participant
    9056xp

War in Ukraine… there will always be a war somewhere… this one is just a bit closer and the bad guy has a bigger army.

Only impact on my hobby is the ‘George Bush rule’ has been renamed and reactivated. In the past it’s been also been called the ‘Trump rule’ and now it’s the ‘Putin rule’…

The rule goes like this…

‘Dangerous person in power with nukes… if you can afford it and want it… buy it… you could be vaporised tomorrow’…

Taking care of myself?

I work… I eat… I hobby… so the answer is… yes…

Youtube? It has a comments section that you can read?

I thought that was just something you typed random words into on the off chance you won a BoW prize!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Let’s see if I can do some hobby this weekend.
    I did get a big box from the Conan boardgame kickstarter so I need to sort those …

1) Has the current political situation in eastern Europe changed your hobby in any way?
    Not really.
    If you start thinking about not playing games because there’s a new war then you haven’t been watching the news for decades …
    There is always something bad happening in the world.
    And usually it’s things you can’t do anything about either.
    I try to focus on the things I can fix … is much more relaxing.

2) Are you still taking care of yourself?

3) Why do I still read comment sections on YouTube?
    ’cause sometimes it is fun … I am not easily offended either.
    It is important to remember : don’t feed the trolls

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not dead yet!

Seriously, just enjoying me wedding anniversary weekend with very little social media. Will be back tomorrow 😉

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy wedding anniversary @sundancer hope both of you have a good day, and something nice to eat perhaps.

I also finished my bear, thanks to another hobby hangout last night with friends, and updated my project with pictures of it.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

days without social media are the best days …

I’d be tempted to invade another country just so that Faescesbook and Instagram would get shut down

(ok … that was a horrible horrible joke … )

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

A few days late again…had to finish a midterm. I can actually do a pledge this week, so we’ll go with finishing my Victrix Honour Guard. They look pretty weird right now without the cloaks painted, but hopefully in the next few days they’ll be done.

Questions:

Has the current political situation in eastern Europe changed your hobby in any way?

Kind of, but not really. Before it all kicked off I was thinking of getting some of the Team Yankee stuff…but then it became a bit ‘real’. I know that sounds weird as I play Historical stuff, but I’m one of those people that gets a bit awkward playing games in settings that are too recent to be historical…if that makes any sense…

Are you still taking care of yourself?

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg

Why do I still read comment sections on YouTube?

Sometimes there’s good stuff in there…most of the time they just make me angry if I read them too much…

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat that makes perfect sense.
    Everyone has some kind of limit on when and how events get a bit too close for comfort in their games.
    I don’t know why it hasn’t affected me (yet), but I suspect I’d have second thoughts about playing games set in current events.

OTOH … it’s a game and you’ve got to abstract the things you do in (war)games if you want to stay sane anyway, which is probably why I am not so sure if I could play ‘this war of mine’ again.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good moaning… it’s moanday morning. How can I tell? I needed to fill up the old gas tank on my Diesel powered family carriage… that’s a nightmare.

I had a decent relaxed weekend. didn’t do any hobby.

Hobby to close to home: any “based on real events” conflict like WW II, Vietnam and anything newer does not tickle my hobby genes in any way. Weirdly with the exception of “Tanks” but I guess that’s more down to the fact that video games paved that way.

Come to think of it it’s rather weird. I have no problem playing Wolfenstein or World of Tanks/Warships and kill all the baddies (aka Nazis) but in the painting hobby I don’t really want to touch that subject. I wonder where that disconnect comes from?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

It’s probably because you can disconnect from that. Wolfenstein may have real life things, but it’s a fantastical game and setting; we know it never happened. Maybe Tanks is a similar thing. For modern things, I actually just stick to model kits of things I think are cool (still looking for an HMS Ark Royal (R09) :P); that’s just a model, it’s not a real person from a real war. I guess the strange thing for me is that I don’t have the same hang-up for Bolt Action and WW2 stuff. Maybe I’m young enough that it feels distant enough even though I have living family that were in it…

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d say that is us being humans. We’re not always logical. Some of our decisions will be based on emotion.

There was a show on National Geographic where they showed people a piece of clothing (I think it was a shirt) and no one thought it was a ‘bad’ thing, until the link to a serial killer (or an equally bad person) was mentioned.

It’s a bit like seeing a painting by an amateur and then discovering it was Adolf H. from Austria …

Don’t let other people tell you that you ‘need to get over it’ or something similar.
    It’s a hobby and it should be stress relief and feel like fun.
    If replaying events or subjects that don’t give you joy then don’t do it.
    Don’t feel pressured into doing so (and don’t pressure someone into playing somethign they don’t like).
    Give each other room to have fun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)