Skip to toolbar

D&D … lite?

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  somegeezer 4 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

somegeezer
    18371xp
    Cult of Games Member

Esteemed OTTers

I went in on the Beowulf Kickstarter with a view to trying duet RPGing with my partner. It’s not standalone, but uses D&D. I’m not hopeful I’ll create an RPG convert here so I’ve little need for the regular D&D background. What’s the lightest way (on my pocket, but also on my reading time) way to get the basic rules to throw at another setting?

I’ve not bought any D&D books since I was at school, I think that was 2nd edition(!).

Cheers

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

All the basic rules are available here https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules if that helps

somegeezer
    18371xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh that’s brilliant. Exactly the sort of thing I was after. Cheers!

ced1106
    Participant
    6221xp

What, exactly, are you looking for?

If it’s a one-on-one game with someone who doesn’t play RPG’s, you can pretty much use any game design you wish. Even rolling a d6 and using a low number to represent failure, and high for success.

One-on-One RPGs

somegeezer
    18371xp
    Cult of Games Member

Beowulf is a setting for D&D so I’m definitely going with the path of least resistance here. Not least I’ve not done any roleplay this century ?

ced1106
    Participant
    6221xp

IMO, More than a rules system, I’m gonna recommend you look at the “Yes, and…” is an improv technique. While it requires quick thinking on the GM’s part, “Yes, and…” can enrich a game more than a GM saying, “No, you can’t do that” (happens often with pre-written adventures, which tend to have only one solution). Non-gamers can be easily be overwhelmed with rules mechanics (not a good first impression with an RPG), and players, in general, want to be able to do things and follow-through with their own solutions, rather than find a solution a pre-written adventure or you think is the right one. So find a RPG system with easy rules for the players, though this does not mean it will be easy for the DM (ie. you). :O (The easiest RPG on a new player would have no dice, but makes skill checks more of a responsibility on the DM.)

The importance of “Yes, and…”

Using “Yes, and…” in Tabletop Roleplaying

EDIT: I’ve been meaning to write a rules-light system that allows “Yes, and…” and here it is. (:

White, Black, and Red : A rules-light RPG

somegeezer
    18371xp
    Cult of Games Member

I want to take all the mechanics away from my duet-ee for sure. I’ve GMed before – long, long ago – and I think the better I know the rules, the less of them I need to expose to my (in this case singular) player.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)