Skip to toolbar

Drybrushing with Brain Matter Beige

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Drybrushing with Brain Matter Beige

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  hazyboy75 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

blipvertus
    12262xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m familiar with drybrushing but why specifically use Army Painter Brain Matter Beige?  I’ve heard it mentioned several times but have no frame of reference. Can you tell me the pros and cons and point me to examples?

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s just some “inside joke”

At the risk of being banished from OTT: use any off white you like!

I’m in my bunker for now.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

ignore Punny it’s not an inside joke.

If you look at any of Hazyboy75 Projects he has a style of speed painting that goes, basecoat, drybrush the whole model with Brain Matter Biege, wash with coloured washes (army painter tones)

because BMB is a very light neutral grey/brown it works as a highlight colour for pretty much everything. Check out this as a good example https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1596146/

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, I’d like to add to my previous statement: it started as @hazyboy75 using BMB ‘everywhere’ but has since become what we call a “geflügeltes Wort” (winged word aka proverb)

So technically I and Gerry are both right.

hazyboy75
    16257xp
    Cult of Games Member

What @avernos said but with slightly culty overtones. There can be only one Biege.

geflügeltes, that’s a fun word!

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

There can be only one Biege.

Mummy Robes!

hazyboy75
    16257xp
    Cult of Games Member

HERESY!

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

*muahahahahaha*

blipvertus
    12262xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think I’ve created a monster.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

don’t listen to Punny

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yes, don’t listen to me… never ever do not listen under any circumstance to me… or do, I’m not your mom!

*muahahaha*

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

There’s the other brainmatter beige :
    https://onlypaints.com/

geflügeltes … that’s chickens 😉

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I will hold my hands up here and say it’s not a technique I would typically use.  However it’s one I have long been aware of, it’s in the same category as just applying a brown wash on top of block colours (or using a quickshade dip). In fact I reckon you could do both of these techniques together.

Essentially you can provide very quick highlights to any miniature by simply dry brushing the entire model with an off white, rather than matching the dry brush colour to the underlying layer.  I find it interesting that it’s being referred to “dry brushing with brain matter beige”.  During the second age (of my miniature painting hobby) it was dry brushing with Ushabti Bone.  During the first age (in an age undreamed of) it was called dry brushing with bleached bone.  I am sure the denizens of that long forgotten age spoke of the legends of their past, of an age before Citadel Colour where dry brushing was done using another off-white of a name long consigned to myth and legend.

long story short (Well possibly not if you have read this far), you can use any warm, off white to achieve this look.

hazyboy75
    16257xp
    Cult of Games Member

😂😂😂

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Mummy robes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)