Skip to toolbar

Gaming in China’s History

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Gaming in China’s History

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 60 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

This is an excellent drama series set in the Tang Dynasty capital, Chang’an

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll give longest day the thumbs up

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

The Armies Gather

Well, I warned everyone it would happen this week.  I started this project on Monday.  I now have two armies, 300+ units total, set up in a potential battle taking place in the late 2nd Century BCE.

So these “virtual miniatures” are scaled to 25mm (about 1 inch) for infantry units of 10 men each, per TSR Battlesystem 2nd Edition.  The map totals 8 feet by 5 feet, with the grid measured at 1″ scale (the picture doesn’t quite capture the whole table.

Each side has just over 150 miniatures, including three commanders.  At ten men a piece (for the non-commander pieces) we’re looking at just under 1500 men per side.

A little bit of refreshing on the Battlesystem rules, point up the armies just to make sure all adds up, and this full-scale Ancient Chinese Era battle is ready to throw down, one week after project start.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 07

The Chu (Blue) Army general, mounted on his warhorse (his piece assumed to also include his adjutants, aides-de-camp, messengers, and assorted staff) with his personal guard of sixty elite heavy infantry warriors with jian swords and shields.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 08

The peasant levies (required to be in irregular formation) dare not run, not with those medium infantry blade-spear “halberds” at their back.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 09

The Chu right wing defends the village and the stream crossing, with a battalion of 200 light infantry with pikes, and the Chu second in command to steady the men.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 10

The Qin (Red) Army center bristles with hundreds of pikes, spears, Chinese dagger-axes, and blade-spear “halberds.”
    Z_Chinese Ancients 11

The Qin left wing is stacked with a powerful offensive force of medium cavalry, led by one of the Qin generals, supported by double-ranked arches taking partial cover in that wood. If the Qin plan works, a couple volleys of archery might disorder the Chu right wing just before the cavalry charge hits it.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 12

The Qin commander, fronted by his personal guard of sixty heavy infantry with swords, and more heavy infantry with spears and shields. This guy’s taking no chances.
    Z_Chinese Ancients 13

looking very good……I’m betting on Chu…

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

And now for the “meat and potatoes” work of the upcoming Chinese Ancients project.

With all the pieces and map templates drawn up in Photoshop, it was time to actually build statistics for these units in TSR’s Battlesystem – using not only the troop types listed in the book, but tweaking them to a less western-centric, Chinese-approximate standard with the unit construction tables also provided.

Z_Chinese Ancients 14

I need to get a copy of Battle system now lol

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2077xp

This is a great thread, but no mention of Red Cliff?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/

I have been interested in Chinese minis for wargaming for awhile, mostly for fantasy purposes though (cause less heavy button count research and I already had a fantasy setting made up with a Chineselike evil empire for a web comic), but I do like studying the history of that country and its military interactions since I live in an area with a large Asian community (Orange County CA) and one of the local history museums here (Bowers)  often displays exhibits from Asia, particularly from China.

My go to for Chinese miniatures (Watchful I Studio) has already been mentioned but I did not notice any mention of the Assault Group (TAG) and 1st corps which both have fairly good lines covering the Medieval and Ancients Dynasties eras. 1st corps even has some of their more exotic opponents (like the Burmese) and dynasties that are not really that covered like the Shang and Zhao. There is also old glory (Boxer Rebellion and Han)  and Newline Designs (Sung and Tang mostly).

https://theassaultgroup.co.uk/product-category/medieval-asia/

https://1stcorps.co.uk/

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/categories.asp?cat=25mm+Historical+China

https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product-category/newline-designs-28mm-ranges/newline-designs-28mm-ranges-early-medieval-chinese/

Edit: Oh, and Korea’s Three Kingdoms Period would be an awesome war game setting, I could see it being done for something like Saga easy.

PSX_20210301_174144

Finished Qin period mini from Watchful I Studio

scribbs
    14506xp
    Cult of Games Member

In case of interest, I thought I’d share that Eureka Miniatures are taking pre-orders for a new range of WW2 Chinese.

https://www.eurekaminuk.com/blogs/news/100-club-ww2-chinese

An interesting video looking at the ancient origins of the Triads and other secret societies

The story of the owner of a bronze sword found by archaeologists in 1965.

I saw this video and thought about a possible modern day Tomb/Dungeon crawl game or series of games searching for the lost seal.

scribbs
    14506xp
    Cult of Games Member

Eureka have announced that they are releasing a Warring States range in 28mm.

Chinese Warring States (by John Jenkins Designs)

With Wargames Atlantic making a plastic set for the era as well, I wonder if there might be a bit of a growing interest in the period?

There are also plastic Boxer Rebellion coming soon from War games Atlantic as well. Hopefully I’ll have a sprue of those next month from War games before release date.

I’ve been looking in to Sino-Vietnam war for a possible Team Yankee campaign for in the new year.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)