Skip to toolbar

North Africa Photos

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions North Africa Photos

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  wolfie65 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

thunderchildobs
    Participant
    366xp

I did a battle field tour covering the war in North Africa from Tripoli to Cario back in 2007.

Here a some photos that show some of the terrain in the area.

Hope the photos inspire some tables for the upcoming boot camp.

Brendan

An oasis deep in the Libyan desert.

IMG_4788_Libian_Oasis

“On Patrol” driving through the Libyan desert.

IMG_4806_Libian_Desert

Heading up to the mountains north east of Benhgazi . Shows the flat costal plain.

IMG_4831_East_of_Benhgazi

Mountains north east of Benhagzi. This is not the sort of terrain I think of when I think of he desert war.

IMG_4839_Mountains_NE_of_Benhgazi

Ruins of Cyrene. Warren mention fighting in ruins of some old temple. (Is that a Star Gate hiding in the background)

IMG_4888_Cyrene

thunderchildobs
    Participant
    366xp

The following show various views around Tobruk.

The terrain can appear flat, but there a plenty of gullies to hide in.

IMG_4958_Tobruk_ViewIMG_5026_Fig_Tree_View

Remains of various fortifications.

IMG_5039_S3_Tank_TrapIMG_5046_S3_TrenchIMG_5048_S3_Trench

IMG_5087_Terrain_Near_Tobruk

Tobruk Harbour

tobruk_harbour_panarama

damon
    7525xp
    Cult of Games Member

Very cool, really brings the battle fields to life. Those ruins or the oasis are perfect for an in infantry skirmish.

Thanks for sharing

thunderchildobs
    Participant
    366xp

El Alamein station

IMG_5456_El-Alamein_Station

thunderchildobs
    Participant
    366xp

Remember to spare a moment to remember those who fought.

Australian Memorial at Tobruk

IMG_5153_Tobruk_Cemetery

El-Alamein Cemetry

IMG_5377_El-Alamein_Cemetery

German Cemetery at Tobruk

IMG_4931_German_Cemetery

Italian Memorial at El-Alamein

IMG_5484_Italian_Military_Shrine

suetoniuspaullinus
    12198xp

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing buddy ?

An oasis table is clearly a must!!!

The trench board the guys are building came as  a surprise but for a Tobruk scenario absolutely appropriate.

I wonder if the surprisingly green appearance is a seasonal feature or is it always like this?

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great photos, @thunderchildobs !

I’ve never traveled these battlefields myself but in accounts and old photos you really do see a lot of green in certain places, along the Cyrenaican plateau (such as in “Northeast of Benghazi” photos thunderchildobs posts). And of course Tunisia, which in a lot of the fighting was barely a “desert” at all.

For some reason, it seems the higher the elevation, the greener the landscape. The really “desert” spots you see tend to be the lower areas, with the Qattara Depression being a borderline moonscape.

Kind of a generalization, and again, just going off old photos I’ve seen. I’m sure @thunderchildobs would know better. 😀

Those are exactly the kind of Roman / Ptolemaic ruins I was suggesting the guys build if they really want to do some ruins.

What I like most about your photos is how they show how absolutely FLAT a lot of that terrain is. Of course, hull down shielding is still possible using rises and folds in the ground barely perceptible from these vantage points, as we discuss in the Weekender episode. But these can be honestly challenging to recreate on the tabletop in proper proportion and scale.

And lastly, fortifications were all over the place in the desert. The Italians had fortifications along the Egyptian-Libyan frontier, there’s the Mareth line in Tunisia, the British “brigade boxes” at Gazala, then Mersa Metruh, and finally along the Alamein line, and of course Tobruk. German and especially Italian field works also became very elaborate during the buildup to Second Alamein.

phaidknott
    7021xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wonder how many “fortifications” outside of long sieges like Tobruk were “bulldozed” fortifications (rather than digging a hole in the ground). As we saw in more recent conflicts (7 Day war onwards) in areas where the terrain is mainly “sand”, the military seem to build up berms etc (rather than digging elaborate trench networks). I’m sure the staple 2 man slit trench was rule of the day for infantry units, but I’ve not seen many photos of trench networks in N.Africa during WWII (other than the concrete bunker fortifications), certainly not in the manner of WWI networks (with multiple lines of trenches).

I’m not say there weren’t, but I’ve yet to see many photos (tho I suppose unless it’s concrete, if the troops aren’t there to maintain them I guess they get lost to “the sands of time” pretty quickly 🙂

brucelea
    7900xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great photos and a brilliant reference source. Many thanks for starting this thread.

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great question, @phaidknott – This is sort  of what we were touching on over on the trench board VLOG thread.  How strictly ‘WW1 angular’ the trench system should or shouldn’t be, given the relative haste with which most WW2 field fortification works were put in place.

Also, I found at least in France, that except for a few memorials, etc … people are pretty keen on bulldozing these fortifications out of the way immediately after the war.  Can’t blame them, they’re ugly, they remind people of a nasty time, and their specifically design to impede travel.  Also, US and British armies bulldozed of blew up most of them to clear the routes off the invasion beaches.  So again, very few of them survived.

angelicdespot
    4687xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for posting these @chunderchildobs – it’s possible weird of me to say this, but I find this terrain so beautiful.   Partly because it’s more varied than most people tend to think – at least if you can travel some distance.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

SPAMBOT ALARM

Spam bot alert!

please review that users sandsensay sandflycurator  posting history!

@tgu3 @nakchak

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

One is left wondering why the Italians wanted this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)