Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Last Friday of February…

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Last Friday of February…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42597xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• Did you noticed 2021 has only 10 months left?
    • If you could have your favourite sculptor do a one off mini for you free of charge: what would it be and what scale?
    • Would you then paint said mini yourself or would you be willing to pay a high level pro to do it for you?

Discuss!

sundancer
    42597xp
    Cult of Games Member

Answers:

• yeah….
    • I’d think I’d want a “I’m surrounded by dead men” Vader in a very aggressive pose. In scale for SW:L of course 😉
    • I would try it…. then save money, strip it and pay someone.

Music:

Pledge:

Non, need to work on Sunday :S

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Did you notice 2021 has only 10 months left? Really?! I mean, I can believe it, but hadn’t really noticed it as such – it just slipped by and suddenly we’re at the end of February. I thought some bugger was slipping an extra Friday somewhere in the middle of each week, because it feels like every time I check my emails, there’s another one to say “new thread started”. I can’t believe it’s Friday again.

• If you could have your favourite sculptor do a one off mini for you free of charge: what would it be and what scale? I’m not quite sure what of, but it’d definitely be 32mm. I like little tiny fighting dudes. I don’t understand – for example, 3d printing Patreon supporters – who want ever bigger minis like Titans and massive spaceships and giants and things. It’s called tabletop miniature wargaming. I like the idea of 15mm but in all honesty, they’re too fiddly to paint satisfactorily.  32mm is just chunky enough to be able to paint lots of lovely detail, but still look cute and small on the tabletop. I actually prefer 28mm scale, but 32mm is the sweet spot for painting yourself (just that bit easier to create blacklining and painting eyes etc).

• Would you then paint said mini yourself or would you be willing to pay a high level pro to do it for you? I would give the mini a go myself. But I’d make sure I had three or four copies of it (my favourite sculptor would undoubtedly be a digital sculptor, so I’d drop a couple of copies onto the 3d printer). One to paint, one to leave in a black and white zenithal highlighted state (so you can see all the lovely details before I’ve obscured them with 2mm of paint and nuln oil) and one to send to an expert painter, once I had the readies.

Are we still doing pledges? Mine’s a bit “etheral” this week – to do some hobby once a day. I can’t find the thread now, but recently joined in with pick-up-a-brush-for-an-hour-at-the-end-of-the-day scheme. I’ve had a lovely couple of hours just edge highlighting a couple of Blood Bowl orcs these last few evenings and I rather fancy keeping it going for a little while longer. So this weeks pledge is just to paint a bit every evening. That still counts, right?

And if we’re going to be playing awful pop tunes from the 90s just because they make us all nostalgic for simpler (hell, I’m going to say it, even better) times – ka-pow, take that:

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

danlee
    22392xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish 12 Dweghom hold warriors.

1. Did you noticed 2021 has only 10 months left? – Time’s all arbitrary anyway.
    2. If you could have your favourite sculptor do a one off mini for you free of charge: what would it be and what scale? – A 75mm ornament piece for painting and putting on display. Some sort of epic character – not really sure what.
    3. Would you then paint said mini yourself or would you be willing to pay a high level pro to do it for you? – I’d do it myself to try and push myself to improve. I’ve never been interested in using models painted by others.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Still Midterm Season here, so might not get much hobby done again…but I will try and get some paint on my NW Europe British medic. Hopefully I can get a moment to get him done… We’ll have to wait and see, though; my Geophys midterm might take up a lot of energy over the next few days.

Questions!

Did you noticed 2021 has only 10 months left?

I barely noticed that 2021 even happened… The past billion months have just been a huge dose of SSDD…

If you could have your favourite sculptor do a one off mini for you free of charge: what would it be and what scale?

I don’t know if I have a favourite sculptor, to be honest. The only ones I can think of by name are the Perry twins, and they do make some very nice minis. I wouldn’t mind a 54mm scale mini of my Grampy as a CPO in the Navy in the 50’s/60’s and my Grandad as a Sergeant in the Army Medical Corp in the late 40’s. Would take me years to paint, though…

Would you then paint said mini yourself or would you be willing to pay a high level pro to do it for you?

For minis like that it’d have to be me painting it. As skilled as a professional would be, it would not be the same.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Lion El Ritchie

Hello? Is it me you’re looking for?

– Lion El Ritchie, Primarch of the Commodores, Legio II

Now you know why they were expunged from all Imperial Records…

Yes I have noticed that we only have 10 months left, my boss is very keen to point that out regarding deliverables…

If I could have any miniature I want a sculpt of me but as a cyberpunk “man in a suit” (seen person of interest?  yeah, something like that)

Hell yes I would paint it.

This weekend I will be mostly painting some Mantic stuff.  I don’t know precisely when but at some point I seem to have become a bit of a Mantic fanboi, not helped by the fact that last year I found out Ronnie Renton supports the same football team as me.  Anyway, on with the Star Saga

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer are you unironically listening to Right Said Fred?

FB_IMG_1614373479205

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

First project entry for the weekend.  There should be another couple, probably tomorrow morning now. I have the miniatures finished, ready to be rebased onto the lovely clear discs.

sundancer
    42597xp
    Cult of Games Member

@onlyonepinman  not really… RSF just popped into my mind at the time of writing as music from the pasts does…

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Marines at Battle of Kuwait International Airport (Gulf War 30th Anniversary)
    15mm Wargame Part Two

Today, we close out our 15mm Battlegroup game (informal, unofficially modernized for 1991 weapons and equipment) depicting part of the US Marine Corps’ drive into Kuwait International Airport.

This battle took place near the end of the 1991 Gulf War (Desert Storm), with 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions supported by the “Tiger” Brigade of US Army’s 2nd Armored Division.

Facing them were the remnants of at least ten Iraqi divisions, including their old friends from the 3rd Iraqi Armored Division and 5th Mechanized Division (Al Khafji and Al Jaber-Burqan Corridor).

This is the grand finale miniature game for our 30th Anniversary of the Gulf War and Desert Storm!

We hope you like it!

OTT Project:

15mm Tabletop Game Video!

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Q&A Time:

Did you noticed 2021 has only 10 months left? – Actually yes.  Earlier today I had a meeting with my boss, we were planning out the month and realized our March activities had to take EOQ into account.  Jesus, the year is practically a quarter past already.

If you could have your favourite sculptor do a one off mini for you free of charge: what would it be and what scale?  Well, I don’t relly know any / have any favorite sculptors.  I think my next project may be a mass buy-in in 6mm GHQ Microarmor for modern combined arms warfare.  So I hope GHQ has most of the items I want (T-80s, M1A1s, Bradleys, BMP-3s, etc)

Would you then paint said mini yourself or would you be willing to pay a high level pro to do it for you? – I won’t lie, I often buy 20mm Corgi models, etc … lavishly detailed and fabulously pre-painted … when I am in a rush.  I recently got some T-55As and T-72s, a T-64B with ERA and T-80U for Grozny / Ukraine … EXPENSIVE, but helpful when article / video content is due and you need a good tabletop model NOW.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I won’t lie, I have their album somewhere. It’s boxed up with my CD collection in a storage unit. It’s not actually as bad as people probably think, although it’s definitely of its time

sundancer
    42597xp
    Cult of Games Member

My CD collection is right behind me in two DJ CD carry cases…. and all are ripped to mp3 on my local NAS for near infinite hearing pleasure XD

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, I ripped all of my CD collection. Luckily I did it before I separated because I came out of that marriage with only half of the CDs (although I did get most of the ones I wanted). I still love owning the CDs but I mostly listen digitally.

Also second project update this weekend. I am reasonably certain there will be at least two more, not least because the miniatures for the next update are painted, they just need rebasing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)