Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Last one for 2022!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Last one for 2022!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 65 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

This will be the last weekender thread for 2022! Forums need a bit more substance to make a weekly thread viable. I feel the last “long running” threads felt much more complete.

Last question of the year:

• You’ve come down with a sickness like flu, fever or anything similar non life threatening but really annoying. Does hobby help you get back on track? Is it a distraction from all pain and sweating? Or is it just another thing adding up to the pile of things you can’t be bothered with at the moment.

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Reason of me asking and why this thread is late:

After my daughter had the fever for nearly a week it was Friday when she got better. And it was also the day I fell flat on my face and only now (Sunday evening) I am feeling good enough to get some coherent sentences out.

• When I’m sick everything is to bright, to loud and way to uncomfortable. That’s why I just tent to stay in bed and only get out when nature calls.

I’m just about to finish the weekender and if my brain allows I also will complete the XLBS.

Hold your thumbs that that damn sickness is gone from our household soon… bloody fever stuff.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Sunday, hmm where have I heard that before?

My pledge for this week is to finish painted my latest collection of Midlam miniature, which are almost done now, then try a play test game, hopefully on Thursday for my special Christmas Frostgrave scenario. I say Frostgrave as it takes place in the frozen city, but really it’s a Rangers of Shadow Deep scenario as it’ll be a co-op game and I’m using half the rules from that game as well.
    …and after all of that I may get started on my Osmoticmeld Kickstarter pledge (Ian Miller inspired minis).

Does hobby help you get back on track?

When I’m feeling under the weather all I want to do is hibernate in the sofa with the TV. Hobby, and everything else is the last thing on my mind.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good to hear you family are recovered now @sundancer.

This week/months pledge is to largely take it easy. I have a Raging heroes print to paint up when I’m in the mood.

You’ve come down with a sickness like flu, fever or anything similar non life threatening but really annoying. Does hobby help you get back on track? Is it a distraction from all pain and sweating? Or is it just another thing adding up to the pile of things you can’t be bothered with at the moment. – When I’m ill I tend to put everything on hold and just sleep. If I have to be active (i.e. looking after family) then anything I do is just passive, such as watching videos or listening to music.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

And it was also the day I fell flat on my face and only now (Sunday evening) I am feeling good enough to get some coherent sentences out.

Oh, hope you get better soon. There’s been a lot of it about recently. I suppose it was only a matter of time your daughter passed her illness on to you.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks @danlee sadly only I have and my daughter has come down with fever today again. *sigh*

Pledge: continue to make progress with painting Dwayne, the roc, for my SAoM Arabian Knights. (I’m tired of individual feathers)

Does hobby help you get back on track?

Hobby can help with the discomfort. Depending on how bad I feel I think that there can be a distraction from the irritation of illness and it could help. If I were worse off in bed and unable/unwilling to leave it just means “I can’t be arsed” and my brain can’t process the good I’d normally find in doing it. Maybe just brushing on some primer or blocking in speed paint areas would be the furthest I’d do since it requires the least amount of effort or focus.

templar007
    52356xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good to hear you and your family are healing up.  Colds, Flu’s, and such illnesses SUCKS!

As to my pledge for the weekend was/is more Warlords Games ‘Black Seas’ British and French ships with Rigging.  As everyone knows @avernos says, “if you don’t rig your 1/700 scale ships your a SLACKER!”. At least I think he said that.  🤔

Last question of the year:

You’ve come down with a sickness like flu, fever or anything similar non life threatening but really annoying. Does hobby help you get back on track? Is it a distraction from all pain and sweating? Or is it just another thing adding up to the pile of things you can’t be bothered with at the moment.

Answer: If I’m sick enough to claim to be sick and dodge my responsibilities, then I feel I have to rest and not have any fun in any shape or form.  The closest I get to any level of fun factor is watching hobby videos.  Gerry, Warren, Lloyd, John, Justin, Sundancer and all the rest of the gang have nursed me back to health many times. (or maybe it’s made me say, “F’n Heck!  I’m going back to work rather then watch another 100 hours of constant Beasts of War content!).  🤓👍

This channel/IPTV station/website really is my GOTO to escape stress or pressures of the less happy parts of life.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Wow. Sorry you’re feeling so rough (and it’s doubly-difficult when it’s spreading around the household and affecting loved ones – usually harder than dealing with illness yourself). But I feel like I’m once again swimming against the tide.

When I’m ill, I get sick of my own company, just moping about feeling rubbish. I’ll happily find anything to distract myself from being ill (ok, maybe not sorting out the garden or finishing fitting the skirting board I promised two Christmases ago). I love nothing more than setting up the filter coffee-on-demand, sitting at my painting desk and powering on through a few minis to bash the coughs and sniffles to back of my mind. If I couldn’t paint minis when I was ill, I wouldn’t have got anything done these last two months!

My wife is the kind of person who can get up, do some work (housework or otherwise) make and drink a brew, then come back up to bed and happily laze the rest of the morning away into the early afternoon (whether ill or not). The minute I’m awake, my eyes are open and I have to be up and dressed and doing something – and doubly so if I’m ill!

Still, I guess it takes all types, eh?

I see we’re a bit light on music this week. Here you go. Best Xmas tune ever (let’s not get our kickers in a twist over who is right on this one, if you disagree, you won’t by the time the big day actually comes around)

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh Christmas music… I still have this gem on my drive:

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

First person to post Kevin Bloody Wilson goes straight on the naughty list and gets no presents!

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

I have looked at that named artist… he seems nice XD

Giftmas music?! This is mandatory

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This heavy box just arrived. Been waiting three years for this one. It looks like it took a knock in transit but apart from some cracks in the internal plastic trays everything else looks ok.

I like the fact that it seems the box is big enough for not only all the assembled models but also all the cards, even in card holders. It makes it easier to hide the game from the missus.

thumbnail_IMG_8667

thumbnail_IMG_8665thumbnail_IMG_8666thumbnail_IMG_8664

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This heavy box just arrived. Been waiting three years for this one. It looks like it took a knock in transit but apart from some cracks in the internal plastic trays everything else looks ok.

I like the fact that it seems the box is big enough for not only all the assembled models but also all the cards, even in card holders. It makes it easier to hide the game from the missus.

thumbnail_IMG_8667

thumbnail_IMG_8665thumbnail_IMG_8666thumbnail_IMG_8664

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)