Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Last one for 2022!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Last one for 2022!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 65 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

“Hide”?

“Darling, is that a new game?” “Uhm… no, new bed side table… primise!” XD

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well that’s one way to get back into work.

Be me, have the first day of work this week. Learn that the company founder died last night.

Oh boy. Sad for the family.

Personally I’m glad I am working for multiple customers. :S

December 2022 really getting grim and dark early.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

TGIF

A week passed and I barely can remember any of it.

15 more days until Christmas.

yeah.

I think.

I need more coffee.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Same here. Work is ramping up (a bit) as we all try to build up a bank of “done stuff” so we can free-wheel a bit over the Xmas holidays. Visiting family at weekends means one week barrels into another more quickly these days. And I tried keeping up the “do some painting at least half an hour each evening” challenge as we did in October (was it really already so long ago?) but haven’t been as successful as I’d like (though I *have* painted a few more characters, almost by accident).

For the first time in a long time, I’m actually looking forward to the big day.

But that’s mostly because when pushed for something I’d like for Xmas (I usually just buy up stuff as I want/need it throughout the year) I told my wife a new W&N Series 7 brush or two might be nice. I’ve deliberately avoiding buying (too many) new brushes in the meantime – so really looking forward to Boxing Day!

The weekend and the house is silent, free from the noise of housemate, his recent lust-interest or the nieces/nephew that visit. This is bliss for a time of recharge.

@templar007 Ship rigging? That just means binding your fingers with mini ropes/glue. Does that mean its micro bondage of your fingers? Good to hear you’ll have your hands full for hobbying (lol). The detail really will be an accomplishment. Good luck.

@danlee I see that those minis are quite detailed from those shots. As beautiful as they were shown in the concept art and definitely showpiece level of requirement on paint. I think that The Event really screwed up tooling/manufacture and the present wave of lockdown protests in Manufacturing Land doesn’t make future KS projects very appealing. Will you keep the figures as a marbled effect as statuary or paint them up to the card art?

@sundancer Not keeping track of a week of work, normal, not remembering the amount of time as we tick days down to Giftmas, irresponsible. For shame, its just like in the anime series Sword Art Online that we wait for a red suit clad winter warrior to make his way into the world and fight all comers to the death for the opportunity to claim a single heartfelt wish. Its really an interesting series that I recommend wholeheartedly which you might be able to watch with your daughter now or in future. I hope you and your family feel better.

@blinky465 So much hobby is good to get the brain countering the seasonal blues. Good for you and mental health as you work steadily toward the new year. Good to let your wife have some space to feed your hobby too. We’re a pretty niche interest group and I hear it makes things hard for those who love/admire/care about us to buy things for us. Amazon is good for a wishlist thing but I have to say Warlord has been chomping at me with their wishlist site function and companies having that as a feature on their websites might be handy. Do you think that she might be able to gift you paints or is that as hit or miss as the rest of what we do?

Thinking of Giftmas and purchases, if I can make three armies of Spartans for Saga with the starter set from Warlord, even if I ran The Horde list for Age of Magic, do I really need to buy it? Learning the balance of intent with later required effort seems to be my present, and continued, lesson for hobby. I won’t be buying the Spartans but it is a question that I puzzled over; how many minis do I need as opposed to want because thet look cool?

If we have games we frequently play, it is good to have as many as we want to field our options where detail is lost in the mass battle. If we have display pieces its good to have as little as we can to avoid overwhelming ourselves with work in focusing on detail. Do you look for detail/customization in your figures for games or could you play armies of rocks with googly eyes and mark our units with a lead color rock? ( @avernos note for your future Forces of Nature List for Kings of War on their footprint bases. Bigger rocks or fancy minerals as monsters and leaders… good for teaching kids geology/mineralogy.)

As a separate side thought the mention of that reminds me of when my dad was in the military and sent out to paint rocks around the unit building as a punishment.

danlee
    22392xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer Part of me wants to leave them all unpainted so I can just crack-on and enjoy the game. The other part of me knows I’ve never left a mini unpainted before. In the coming weeks I’ll be picking my hobby goals for next year and there’s a chance it include painting all these up.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer of course I’m irresponsible. I’m 47! No time for being serious!

Also where did my weekend go?!

@danlee Righty-o, get the plastic crack colored somehow and ease back on both parts. It sounds like a good idea to me.

@sundancer Time to not be serious at your age? *nods sagaciouly and strokes his beard* That IS serious business. We should all be mindful of this matter. Ridiculousness is required to be properly invested in this hobby. You’d lose your mind otherwise.

In other news, I haven’t worked on my roc but finished an efreet. I’ll be reaching out to my friend that I regularly paint for and see if we might be able to arrange for a game of SAGA. *gasp* There might even be a batrep 20221211_130455

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

Saaaagaaaaaa

SAGA_logo

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

A little while back, I grabbed some Games Workshop magazines that came with a sprue of minis and some paints on the front. From memory, the first few issues were, like 99p or £1.99 or something, and they sold out like crazy, because everyone was buying up five or six copies at a time.

I think I managed to get six space marines but after failing to paint them for over a year, gave them away to a local gaming group (for kids to practice their painting I think). Anyway, what I really liked was that the poses were “guns aiming” rather than “across the chest” in a way I’ve not seen in recent boxed sets.

So I’ve been on the look out for some marine-type characters, but with their guns held in an aiming position, rather than boringly held across the chest (or, just as tediously, up in the air while the other arm is pointing at something in the distance).

I’ve not seen many, but this month’s StationForge release looks really interesting…

3d printable not-space-marines that actually look quite cool? I’ll have me some of that (but maybe not until I’ve bought all my pressies for this year, so it won’t be until some time after the 23rd….)

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

They look a bit like a hybrid of 30k marines, primaris and sisters of battle to me….

It’s Wednesday! My voice is croaking like a frog after last night and I’m tired as fuck… because of course I stayed up until YouTube has managed to process the video XD

Needs more coffee.

Also: The Painting Phase (a Yt Channel for painting minis and hobby that is now home to “Peachy” (ex-GW painter) has been hacked and they now “offer” links to weird software. You shouldn’t click those links!

paintingPhase

danlee
    22392xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 those “marines” do look cool. Almost generic sci-fi but still recognisable as space marines.

Last night I finished my latest mini. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1706063/

thumbnail_IMG_8714

Swanky Space Armor Dudes there @blinky465 . In the spirit of gaming goodness that was a great thing to do when you did. As far as hobby pressies I understand the deferral of getting more figures. I’m still holding strong to the No New Minis from six months ago. I’ve just gotten all sorts of other stuff that  can be used for hobby otherwise.

@sundancer more tea with booze in it for your throat. Your wifeand the boss will take pity on you when you stumble through the day looking and sounding like hell.

@danlee Mechanical  madness ftw. I’ve considered throwing paint on some Necrons to give my metallics some sort of use. I just can’t bring myself to grabbing space zombies without a better reason. Meh *shrug* I’ll pass on the figure line and recommend Turbo Dork paints for interesting options in the future. Mechanicum seems too close as techno-zealots and Ill give them a pass too. Overall, your achievement is very impressive and I applaud your perseverance. You and lawnor are spectacular in this regard.

Commission work goes along and I should have some stuff for this weekend. Its an old Ral Partha sculpt on foot and mounted so I’m going to drop it into my project for the minis of yesteryear. A little bit of cash in hand for the turn of the new year for when I will buy minis again. I’ve got just the plan in mind for my next army.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

The day you see me drink tea my friend @horati0nosebl0wer will be the day you know “the body snatchers got him”.

I’m tea-traumatised and will never drink that stuff voluntarily.

It’s Thursday. Coffee is getting cold and no hobby got done yesterday despite best intentions. Meh.

I think there’s some recognition of our gaming goodness to social mental health

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)