Skip to toolbar

[unofficial Weekender] IT is around the corner

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial Weekender] IT is around the corner

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42620xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• How is your Spring Cleaning coming along?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42620xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge baby pledge: trying to get things painted! Mojo I summon you!

Answer:

• no comment *sigh*

Maybe some music will help!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9574xp

My pledge involves glue, A3 MDF sheets, A3 foamboard, spray primer and texturing. Plan is to create a number of A3 boards that I can throw down during an RPG to use as battleboards. I have 10 sheets of A3 MDF and waiting for more foamboard along with some green primer. Project may appear shortly.

Spring cleaning is going well as I’m almost done with top layer of Pandora’s box which is way ahead of schedule as I only expected to do the one layer. Second layer has more rank and file and that will slow me down.

danlee
    22395xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to continue my spring clean challenge project. This weekend, weather permitting, I’ll be spraying the undercoats. I plan to use several coloured undercoat spray cans to minimise the future need for painting.

• How is your Spring Cleaning coming along? – See above!

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

How my spring clean project is going ?
    Did spring clean start already ? 😉

I have been trying to document my current 1:1 scale project, which some could consider a ‘spring clean project’.

Not quite sure if it counts … but definitely will try to add it as a project once I’ve got time to do so. (typing on a tiny MS Surface keyboard is not fun, I so want my pc up and running again, but that requires completion of a few more things).

Anyways … I’ve got a few bits of 18mm MDF incoming (2 full sheets worth of material, because I made sure to use ever bit for stuff). Not quite sure how I’m going to handle that thing yet, but once I figure out how to get it up to the first floor and assemble every thing the light at the end of the tunnel may be visible.

And I have to find a way to paint the walls in the destination room before everything arrives or else there will be an additional challenge.

One question for the OTTer hive mind : what would the ideal surface of a gaming table look like ?
    I’ve got pre-primed MDF and the IKEA Kallax it sits on is the dark brown/black variant.

Currently thinking of the Rolling Stones song :

pagan8th
    Participant
    9574xp

Week off… opportunity to lie in… my body has other ideas… been awake since 3am… that’s 3hrs before my alarm goes off when I’m working…

sundancer
    42620xp
    Cult of Games Member

That gives you time to watch all the internet videos! 😉

Pledge: Keep painting while looking for work to stay (somewhat) sane

Spring cleaning is coming along well enough. I’m getting over my roadblock with some sidestreet completion of stuff. I’ll share pics later this week. I might have another army knocked out by the end of next week.

My musical contribution.. which starts with me wondering about Aztecs and costume design

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

well … that sucked.
    I got my wood delivered … which was nice

then I found out that I can’t lift the bloody table ends and more them upstairs on my own.

First attempt I noticed that the sheets were a bit too wide (105 when the stairs are 90-ish … )

Second attempt I thought I had the solution, but 4 stairs in I couldn’t rest the thing on the next stair in time so it slipped out of my hands and fell down with a might bang. Luckily no one was hurt and there’s only minor damage to the wood. I probably did scare the neighbours 😀

And I realised I had made a tiny mistake when making the cut list for the additional pieces.
    I wanted 2 20×90 columns, but forgot that I had the ends at 25 x 25 … so *oops*
    I think I can still make the things I want, but it will look different.

The shop also made a mistake by cutting one of the vertical parts 1 centimeter short.

danlee
    22395xp
    Cult of Games Member

Got the painting done on my spring clean project. I may add in some gold on the hieroglyphs, but doubt I will. Then the next step is sanding the sand.

Egyptian Mythology Display – Spring Clean 2024

thumbnail_IMG_1337

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

Did I say “no more kickstarters” ?

Here’s one from Fogou I just couldn’t resist :
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fogoumodels/rad-trax-post-apocalyptic-toy-car-scale-terrain/description

Perfect for Gaslands … or any other game that features toy cars and racing.

// — edit —

Circular saws are terrifying machines … even the tiny one I got.

But they do make cutting wood sooo much easier that I kind of wished I got one before 🙂

I got a “Workx WX 439 XL 500 Watt” which is a ‘tiny’ variant of the big boys, but it *ahem* just works.
    It came with 3 saw blades (one for each material type it is supposed to handle).
    I did not pick a cordless one because one had a plastic ‘foot’ which looked a bit too fragile and the other cordless variant of the same brand would have been a bit more expensive.

And given that the cordless variants only ever are compatible with the same brand battery it would be inefficient to buy into yet another cordless variant of a competing brand.

So far so good. I do need to get myself ear protection because the bloody thing wails like a banshee in heat.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  limburger.

sundancer
    42620xp
    Cult of Games Member

Tablesaws go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It’s Monday. I forgot to make a new thread. Well, we’ll work this one out another week. Haven’t done any hobby (again) and I’m very much looking forward to this week being a short Week. Thursday is a holiday and Friday I took the day off. Long weekends for the win!

Now coffee and work

@sundancer Laziness for the win!!! I get to keep posting to the same thread. Update on this side is just got done with some sealing and I’ll be dropping some flock this evening on bases.

@limburger this project seems to be a real pain at the moment, how much can you salvage from it? Right now the saw issue is definitely going to be a pain for you if you’re being precise. Once you get the cuts done you’ll need to get into sanding and all the other parts of woodworking. The 1:1 scale work isn’t as easy to hobby when you want and is harder to keep warm/cool when you use the workshop.

@danlee If I wore caps I’d doff mine to you. A good bit of effort has gone into your work and it’s been pleasant to see the progress. I’ve thought about getting together Egyptian themed skeletons and then reminded myself I only have so much space.

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer setbacks kind of are my own fault, but one can’t learn without making a mistake or two.
    It can be a bit depressing at times, but when things do work the satisfaction of a job getting done is there too.

I am liking this tinkering with wood and making my house my own.

Of course I’m a long long way from being an amateur DIY’er.

The project isn’t in a bad shape at all. It’s just a lack of muscle power that is holding it back a bit.
    I also need to keep myself focused on doing one thing at a time. Setbacks do tend to make me switch goals and that’s not helping the project completion. (I wouldn’t know if I got some form of ADHD-like thing because I’ve never been tested … maybe I should look into that? Not sure it’s something to think about )

Anyways … the table toppers (sp?) were not the only thing in my wood order.
    I also got stuff to build 2 colomns of 90cm in height in MDF. That part was surprisingly easy and showed me what can be done if all you need to do is assemble the bits you’ve ordered.

It’s a work in progress, but 4 x 20cm x 90cm with the sides cut at a 45 degree angle resulted in a near perfect column using only wood glue. I’ve got me some wood trim because the 90 degree angles are sharp as f*ck. I think a v2 of this will be something I do in the future.

20240506_192454

@sundancer : it’s not a table saw. but it does go *brrrrrrr*

sundancer
    42620xp
    Cult of Games Member

Tablesaws are much more fun! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tuesday. Coffee.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)