Skip to toolbar

[unofficial Weekender] IT is around the corner

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial Weekender] IT is around the corner

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

@sundancer Tablesaws can go BRRRRRRR which is  better than you going BrrRrrRrrRrrr from the cold. I’ll opt for tea in lieu of coffee for warmth.

@limburger You might want to hit the corners with a little sanding with 180-200 grit sandpaper to ease back those edges. It’s not too heavy to kill the edge entirely but it could help. The column looks good otherwise and I look forward to more photos.

@pagan8th Have you been able to get some rest since last post?

@danlee How goes things out your way? Have you been doing any 1:1 projects as well?

sundancer
    42627xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll opt for tea in lieu of coffee for warmth.

You can’t substitute perfection! Black, hot, sweet, steaming perfection! Coffee knows. Coffee understands. Coffee cares!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9576xp

I drink tea and coffee… and beer of course! It’s called a balanced diet!

Unrelated to stimulants in liquid form… I’ve decided to dabble in some 75mm miniatures.

Painting the gods in Mythic Battles: Pantheon was a different experience than painting tiny minis and 75mm seemed to be logical next step. Bought a few of the Masterbox kits which are on the budget end of 75mm which is a compromise on quality and the parts need some sanding/trimming/filling to make them fit, but that’s part of the experience.

If I make a right botch of the assembly and painting then images of minis will never appear in the projects section 🙂

Still working on my spring clean and started work on the last batch from Mythic Battles: Pantheon Pandora box.

Sadly my 11 days off comes to an end tomorrow and that means less time for painting. However… I do have a the week off when UK Games Expo occurs which gives me a few days before the expo to get stuck in… after it I’ll be working on my purchases.

limburger
    21554xp
    Cult of Games Member

Tea is the Nectar of the Gods in a civilized world 😉

@horati0nosebl0wer that and I am planning to use corner/angle strips (sp?) to make it look pretty.
    Maybe first the one and then the other ?
    Have to see the effect before I can judge which will be the way to go for my second column.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9576xp

@horati0nosebl0wer I sleep 5-7 hrs most nights, but not solidly. waking in the middle of the night is something you get used to as you get older.

sundancer
    42627xp
    Cult of Games Member

Calling in sick. Since yesterday Grandfather Nurgle is making me make big snotlings. Lucky me that today is a holiday.

Back to bed.

danlee
    22396xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I’m good thanks for asking. I’ve never really had a 1:1 project although that does make me think maybe I should do one. Perhaps later in the year once I’ve finished the minis I bought at salute. Right now I’m looking forward to just doing some “normal” mini painting.

My spring clean challenge project is complete! I just re-read the first project entry. The project overall took just under three years, although with a two and a half year gap in the middle.

Egyptian Mythology Display – Spring Clean 2024

thumbnail_IMG_1347

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  danlee.

danlee
    22396xp
    Cult of Games Member

Duplicate post. Please ignore.

@sundancer It seems that you’ve been taking to the high end demitasse consumption of coffee. With that, a brief homage to Dune for a moment.. in parody. The warm liquid might help with Nurgle consumption.

“It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.” -Mentat mantra on coffee

@limburger No need to delve into the self reflection of ADHD, after the age of being in school the world stops caring. If anything “there’s a pull for that”. I’m reminded of all the 80s and 90s commentary of “living a better life through modern chemistry” that filled so many dystopian tales.

@pagan8th Unbalanced diet? Pfftt.. perfectly balanced if you use a spoon to mix for coffee/tea and then eat your beer with it. Stouts and porters are awesome! Then again waking up in the middle of the night, about 3 AM, is when the bladder must be relieved.

@danlee You were so happy to be done you wanted to tell us about it twice. It’s a completely understandable situation. When you knock out a large project the relief is really astounding. You look at your work and say “I did that, and I don’t need to keep working on it”. Yeah, sometimes that “Just get it done” can be a relief in the stressless pish to just have paint on figures. I don’t experience much of it myself, always adding some detail to things, but the concept makes sense.

Now for things that might not make sense musically

A fine battle tune for @gorram

danlee
    22396xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I was so happy that when it appeared my first post had failed, I typed it all out over again. I had forgotten my golden rule of always copy your text before hitting submit. Then I found there were two subtly different posts saying more or less the same thing.

I just added one final post to my project. There was a final twist when I tried to pick it up.

sundancer
    42627xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer coffee is a warm blanket! Also I slept through most of yesterday and today. And it shows! Now my back hurts too XD

But I am slowly getting better.

limburger
    21554xp
    Cult of Games Member

20240511_092639

I think it looks pretty good, maybe a bit of trim at the top & bottom and then a bit of wood filler to hide the gaps.
    Definitely need to sand those edges on the top, because you can really hurt yourself.

It’s all done with wood glue, which is surprisingly strong … (but then it was the “professional wood glue extra” variant I had :D)

Getting to the next stage of a project is always a good feeling. Seeing the things come together to make a whole instead of the unfinished things you’ve been looking at while you were working on it is a big motivator.

I’d say that for really big projects you need some kind of milestones to keep that motivation going as well, because only waiting for the final result can get a bit depressing if things don’t appear to be moving forward.

I think it is a topic worth exploring … how does one do things like ‘building Rome’ ?
    Maybe that’s why Lloyd doesn’t want to do it ?
    The idea of all that work that needs doing is not always fun.
    Finding a way to have milestones that feel do-able (sp?) could be key.

Speaking of silly projects …

And of course Colin Furze and his underground garage has to be the most epic build ever :
    https://www.youtube.com/@2MuchColinFurze

pagan8th
    Participant
    9576xp

Feeling very old today. Just been given a long service award (pitiful amount) for 30 years working for the forces of evil.

Depressing.

limburger
    21554xp
    Cult of Games Member

30 years at the same job is worthy of more than a medal these days.

Got my trike and my new place … only to find out that the door to the garden is about two centimeters too small.
    Luckily I could remove the planks to the side so I could get it inside, but I will have to think of a better long term solution.
    The door to the shed in the garden is even smaller. I suspect it is because the building is from 1965 … and only ‘modern’ buildings have a 93 cm door width as standard.

Total width of the trike is 83cm … (would have been wider if I still had the front fenders installed)
    My side mirror can be moved so it wasn’t an issue.

As it is technically a folding trike (there is a hinge at the center of the frame ) so that would be another option.
    The new trike I’d like to buy (Azub Tri-Fly X … you can buy a nice used car for the cost 😉 ) is 93 cm, which would be impossible.

20240511_164007

Column is almost done. I’ve got a 30cm square 18mm MDF bit as an additional base to add.

It isn’t perfectly aligned and I need to fill the gaps, but it’s mine and I like it.

20240511_111152~2

Oof, the progress of things around here. I’ll need to post minis stuff soon, in the meantime here’s music. What was I drinking.. er.. thinking?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)